Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

LED lights flickering for you?

does any of you have an issue with a minor high speed led light flickering for you?

my ceiling lights are flickering. i have tested this on pure battery, shore power (both 50 amp and 30 amp off my house), with generator, engine on, engine off... my lights have a minor flickering. haven't caused any issues yet. tested with load and no apparent load as well (shut down as much as i can).

i have checked to make sure the voltage supplied to the socket is correct with my fluke multimeter. all seems to be in order so far.

i do not know the brand of LED bulbs we have nor if they are voltage regulated or not. i'm suspecting they are not since they are flickering in all instances... the incandescent bulbs in the storage bays do not flicker. nor the few inside the coach.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

My Berkshire also does that with the LEDs in the ceiling lights in the main living area. It is worse when the inverter is charging the batteries, but does it even when in float mode. If I turn the dimmer on the max setting to make them as bright as possible, it goes away. But anything other than full output causes the flickering. Very annoying. It does not matter what type of power I am running either.

The bedroom LEDs work better, but also have a strange behavior. Even if the bedroom LEDs are turned off, they continue to have a faint glow if the LEDs in the main cabin are on. Turn the main cabin lights off and the bedroom lights go fully off as well.

Must be some connection between the two. I've checked wiring and voltages as well. It think that is just the way it is.
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #3

Got it too. Particularly noticeable when first turned on. Maybe I just get used to it.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

We are having the same issue with one of our overhead led lights....
FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

We must be fortunate, we have not noticed any flickering in our 390RB-60, or possibly with advantacing age and diminishing sight we simply dont notice flickering, LOL

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

revsiting this some more.

it appears that when you first turn on the lights, it's not at max setting. if i turn on my lights from full off, i notice the flickering. i played with the dimmer and took it full low and back to full bright. the flickering went away and the room was brighter. that was when i noticed it... the room was brighter. so i turned it off, waited a little and back on. not as bright and flickering. so i press the up button to make it brighter and the flickering went away.

so on my coach, the dimmer module starts somewhere less than full brightness. i just have to manually turn up the brightness for now. i need to find the manual on the dimmer module to see if i can reprogram it's start setting?

the rest of you guys that notice the flickering, you may want to try just turning up the brightness and see if it does indeed get brighter and the flickering goes away. i only tried this on 50amp shore power. but i would imagine the rest of the power settings would work the same since my dimmer is confirmed to start on less than full brightness.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #7

Haven't noticed any problem with mine.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

The dimmer switch was also the culprit with mine. Thought it was a power issue. Figured it out myself about 30 mins later. Still don't know why the "pulse" occurs with the dimmer activated. Maybe a bulb issue?

JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
The dimmer switch was also the culprit with mine. Thought it was a power issue. Figured it out myself about 30 mins later. Still don't know why the "pulse" occurs with the dimmer activated. Maybe a bulb issue?

JJ
yes, it is the bulbs. they are cheap LED bulbs that do not have voltage regulating circuitry. if FR was going to do something, at least do it right...