Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #1

LED strip under awning and slides

I know that someone had once posted an LED strip mod on this forum but I am not able to locate it.

Have just purchased 2 sets of LED strip that I would like to install under the main awning as well as the slide.

If anyone has a description of their install along with photos .... please post. I am particularily interested in where you have hooked into 12v power.

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

Here is the main thread.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-23039.html
Here is a link to my album.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lbums1210.html
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:27 AM   #3

I put a strip under the kitchen slide and pulled the power from the left front compartment. Put a switch that is dimmable in the shelf compartment and ran the strip above the doors in the recess of the slide. It lights up the area around the slide but doesn't shine in you face when watching tv. My buddy's porch light is on his slide and he turns it off to see the tv.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #4

Not sure what model and year you have so this may not help. I got 12v power from wiring under the lower kitchen cabinets. My 390RB had a circuit that was not used that was there for the optional outside entertainment center. I used it. Installed (probably redundant) a 5 amp fuse and ran the wire in a recess on the back side of the kitchen slide trim. The recess was on the aft piece of trim. Then out on the top of slide to the slide out cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Toad: 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #5

This is exactly what I want to do! A picture of your wiring would be great! How long is your led strip and is the light sufficient to light area at night?
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

I can provide pics of the wiring under the cabinet and on top of the slide but too hard to get any of the wiring that tucks into the slide trim. My kitchen slide is approx. 17 ft long so I purchased a 18 ft LED strip with black printed circuit board. Looks better than white. And yes it lights the patio area really well.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

The scariest part for me will be drilling through the exterior wall!
Thanks for the inspiration
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

LED strip under awning and slides

Don't drill anything. It's not necessary. I routed the wires such that they are taped to the top of the kitchen slide. I would never drill Thru my exterior walls!!!!!

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 05-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

Here is how I did my lights under the slide. I bought a dimmer switch and the lights can pretty much light the whole campsite, just from the waist down so they don't shine on you when watching tv.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284[1].jpg
Views:	173
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	109030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285[1].jpg
Views:	172
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	109031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286[1].jpg
Views:	164
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	109032  
Old 05-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #10

Mike,
Love how you did the light install!! Can you tell me what type of lights you used, what dimmer you used (I'm guessing you got them from Amazon), how you attached the lights and where you got the power. Also, if you could come over and do the install I would appreciate it(LOL!!).
Seriously, if you could answer my questions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:53 PM   #11

I agree with Tmmar .... great install and same questions.

I have 2 led strip kits ready to install but am not man enough to attempt an install with our some guidance.

I think even a brain dead idiot like me could copy your method
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #12

Love it and I too would love to see your step by step instructions!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 AM   #13

Bought them off ebay from Recreationpro, two 12 foot strips with switches. If you look them up on ebay, the switches are with the strips.

At the very front of the slide I drilled a hole to feed the wires thru. Inside the shelf compartment there is an bung to unscrew in the top, that's where I pulled the wires to first. At the left side of the top shelf I used a one inch holesaw and pulled the wires out. This is the wires from switch to strip. I sprayed alcohol whrer the strip was to go to make sure it was clean and put the strip on. I also put shrink tubing on the wires just for extra protection and black silicone in the hole to seal.

Behind the fuel tank is a space that I was able to sit up in and with a coat hanger that I straightened, jab it thru the foam til it came by the hole for the switch(my dad helped). Taped wires to the coat hanger and pulled them in the hole I was in. Ground to the frame right there and fished the hot along the factory wires up to the firewall to the elec bay (drivers front). The coat hanger thru foam to pull the hot in there, found a hot terminal and a 5 amp fuse.

The box I used for the switch I got from HD, but Lowes has it. It's the stuff used to put a wire on a wall without cutting the wall. They make an outlet box, painted it black. Got a black blank outlet cover and used a Dremmel to cut it for the switch to mount. It wasn't hard to do, I just wanted it to look factory and not like an afterthought, so it took me a couple days taking my time. FYI I'm 5'6" and almost 120 pounds so I was able to get in spots where my dad thought I was going to get stuck. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #14

Mike,
My original request still stands! When can you do the install on mine? I'm a little taller and 50 lbs heavier and probably a lot older so I'm sure to get stuck under my coach! (LOL!!)

All kidding aside, thanks for the info and again, great job on the install!!

How did you attach the light strips to the coach?

Question: I guess the lights you installed are 12v. Couldn't you have gotten 110v lights and gone directly into the first compartment and plugged into the outlet that is already there? Just curious as to why you took the route you did.

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #15

I didn't really think about 110. I work third shift, wanted to do this so I looked them up at work and ordered them. It was a late night decision that worked this time. The kit came with three foot pastic rails with 3m tape. Just peel and stick the rails, and the lights peel and stick in the rail. The lights cane be cut so just cut all to size. If your ever in Tn I'll give you a hand, how bout that.😃

Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #16

Here is a tip I'm reluctant to share because I was thinking about importing,reselling, and installing light strips on the side

I got mine CHEAP from DealeXtreme - Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - DX Free Shipping Worldwide Waterproof 72W 4000lm 300-SMD 5050 LED RGB Car Light Strip w/ Remote Controller (12V / 5m) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

In fact, I buy quite a bit of stuff from dx.com

I have to laugh at some of the poorly translated descriptions and comments by the vendor.

Here is a great example of LED use with a shower head: What is a romantic shower head? http://www.dx.com/p/romantic-7-color...-silver-155617 There is nothing romantic about using 2.5 gallons to take a shower when boondock camping to conserve water ;-)
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Here is a tip I'm reluctant to share because I was thinking about importing,reselling, and installing light strips on the side

I got mine CHEAP from DealeXtreme - Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - DX Free Shipping Worldwide Waterproof 72W 4000lm 300-SMD 5050 LED RGB Car Light Strip w/ Remote Controller (12V / 5m) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
These are already all over Amazon and everywhere else. You will be diving into a very flooded market.
AudiOnly101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, slide, slide out