Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Leveling 38A 2017

Never had this situation before. I’m at camp site and when I leveled, the front wheel were off the ground with message “excess slope” or something like that. I didn’t like wheels off ground so I retracted all. The wife not too happy with the tilt so my question is, if the air is dumped do I have to start the engine to build up air in order to try to re-level? The slides are out and I don’t believe that I have to bring them in to level.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

If you got an excessive slope measurement the only easy way to correct is to put blocks under your front wheels and some under the front jacks. You would need to move the coach and drive up on the blocks under the wheels. Recommend pulling in your slides before doing so. You never want your wheels off the ground especially the rear (no parking brake then) and avoid stressing the air bags. It is preferable to air up before moving the coach. If you are not moving the coach you can try to re-level without airing up Your re-leveling without doing something probably give you the same result/message of excessive slope.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #3

Blocks will be the way I go. Thanks. The jacks are electric/ hydraulic so airing up the bags has nothing to do jack operation, correct?
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #4

If you used auto level the first time, you may be able to manual level and keep all wheels on the ground.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #5

Lightbulb

you normally want to level with the bags 'deflated', as your 'house' is then sitting down on the suspension foundation, and your legs have much less travel involved before touching the ground.

If the front is the 'low' point of the site, then start with Manual mode and lower the rear legs first, but only to the point that you feel them both 'touch' the ground. This will give you a good starting 'foundation'.
Then, lower the FRONT legs, continuing after they've touched to a point where the wheels are not yet 'leaving the ground', if it gets to that point.

Even if you are not 'exactly' level, according to the system lights, you may be level 'enough' for comfort. Turn your system off and you're done.

(of course, if you are low 'side to side', you'll need to also handle that as well)

the Auto mode for these systems tends to take the coach up artificially too high. I don't use it anymore...only MANUAL mode for me.

also, in 3 1/2 years and over 83,000 miles, I've never driven my coach 'up on blocks' or such...it's just not needed, and probably dangerous.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #6
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by planopat View Post
Blocks will be the way I go. Thanks. The jacks are electric/ hydraulic so airing up the bags has nothing to do jack operation, correct?
Correct.

In fact, when you first operate the levelers they will send a 2 minute 12V signal to the suspension dump valve as you want the system de-flated when you auto level.

The suspension has ride height sensors in it and it would get all excited when the levelers start messing with that, so we want it de-activated and out of the picture.

So it is by design.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
also, in 3 1/2 years and over 83,000 miles, I've never driven my coach 'up on blocks' or such...it's just not needed, and probably dangerous.
All depends on how un-level the site is. If you're in nice campgrounds all the time they have nice (mostly) level pads and what you do works.

I happen to park at a few sites that are not as level, one where the grass field is quite sloped and I park nose down hill with the wheels run up on a pretty stout pad of 2x12's stepped up three high. I then put blocks under the legs so they don't run out of travel. Nothing dangerous about that.

I do agree that auto level gets a little over excited at times and especially when operating near the limits of the system you're sometimes better off being not perfectly level but having your bus solidly planted.

My rule is that if I don't notice it walking around it's good enough. Bubbles be damned.

Tags
leveling