Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Just Dreamin

Question lights and electrical

I am here again looking for advice after not hearing from Forest River. The lights over the headboard, dresser and the medicine cabinet in the toilet area of my 2008 Berkshire 360QS don't turn on. I have checked the bulbs using other fixtures and they are fine. I have even checked the fuses in the 12V panel and only found one fuse that was incorrectly sized (15 amp and should be 20 amp). Does anyone know if there is an inline fuse for those lights or a connection point (under the bed?) that would feed those 4 light fixtures). I have asked Forest River for a wiring diagram and similar questions to what I have here but haven't heard a thing in 5 days. Does anyone have or know where a 12V and 110V wiring drawing for this coach could be found? Thanks a bunch for any help.

Roy
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Not familiar with your unit, but some of our lights are operated by both a wall switch and a switch on the light itself. If both are not on, the light will not light.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #3

I would check all the GFI to see if one is tripped. It could be anywhere may even be in the basement. I think I have 3. Also check the top of the inverter. The rocker breaker controls all inverted outlets so I doubt that is it but you never know. I assume you have checked all breakers. All the 12v fuses should be clearly marked and most are in the front compartment below the drivers seat. I have 3 black plastic covers and most of the fuses are there. Did the lights suddenly stop working? When I get home I will check mine to see what controls those lights.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Roy,
I agree with Phil. Check the GFI outlets. It is possible one is tripped. Other than that or a fuse, I don't know where else to tell you to look. There is no main switch that controls the lights other than the switches on each of the lights over the headboard and the one for the bathroom fixture.
Good luck. Hope you get the problem resolved.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

I think the problem lights are 12 volt which a ground fault shouldn't pertain to them. I would pull the switch panel in the bath to see if the power doesn't start/split their to the other lights. I have a voltage tester that you put on the wire and it beeps if the line has power. That will help if you have one. The floor in the overhead cabs will pull up with a sparkle knife to see if the butt splice on the wires came apart. Also check ground by getting a piece of wire to an easy spot and ground it to see if lights work.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #6

If I remember right there is a reset in the inverter compartment for 12 volt.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

Based on your description your problem is in the 12 VDC system and not the AC system or Magnum Energy system so do not waist time chasing those areas or suggestions. It is ether a blown fuse or open wire. I marked a diagram where I understand the malfunctioning lights are with red stars. If correct there should be a wire loom under the bed that that feeds those areas. It should run up to the bath, and head board, and around the back of the coach through a channel to the lower right of the dresser where there are connectors that connect it into the wardrobe slide.

As mentioned earlier I would lift the bottom of the floor of the head board up with a pudy knife and see what color wire is being used. Then find the bundle under the bed. Trace that back to the hot source. You will need a VOM. Also look for any damage that may have occurred when the slide has been moving. You should eventually find good 12VDC and be able to repair the problem.

You could always purchase a cable tracer from Harborfreight for about $24 to assist in the hunt. They work great for this kind of thing.

It will take a little time but should be able to be found.

You can also test continuity between hot to +12 VDC and negative to Ground to determine which side of the line went open. If all else fails just run a new line into the circuit. This is as long as all fuses are good and there are no shorts.

I fixed it are you happy? I love people who take pot shots for little things when you are trying to help. That is why I stopped posting for three years. Might be time to stop again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36qs.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	79537  
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

Berkshire do not have a converter. It would be the same it should not be part of the issue. I was wrong when I suggested to check GFI as this is clearly a 12V issue.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #9

The fuse is in the compartment I mentioned earlier. It's the compartment that you use the funny key for to get to the generator. On mine it is the third black fuse holder and is labeled back bathroom. Fuse 5. I will attach pictures. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433901372.169977.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	79540Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433901386.011583.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	79541Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433901399.633460.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	79542
If your lights worked fine and then stopped suddenly my guess is the fuse. If it has been intermittent it is most likely a bad wire.
Let us know.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
Just Dreamin

Silver, thanks for the picture and information. As soon as it stops raining here in Kingston, Ontario, Canada I will go out and see if I can find the problem. Its been 2 weeks since I emailed FR asking about a wiring diagram for my coach and I still haven't heard from them. My last coach was a Fleetwood Expedition and whenever I contacted them for advice they were always friendly and helpful. I just wish FR were the same, thank God for this forum. Roy
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, light