Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Lincoln MKX for a Tow Vehicle

Is anyone using the Lincoln MKX as a TV?

How easy are they to tow and put in tow mode? Is a battery disconnect required?

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Are you asking as a TV (the Lincoln is towing something) or as toad (you are towing it with your Berkshire)? I'm guessing the later.
I found this discussion: Lincoln MKX - Towing - FMCA Motorhome Forums

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #3

Your Lincoln has the same requirements as my Ford Explorer. Since you have push button ignition you need to have the car in neutral and hit the ignition button until "accessory activated" is lite up on the dash. Make sure the radio and climate controls are off. Nothing needs to be done with the steering. Check your owners manual as it will tell you if the car can be towed 4 down based on whether it is 4,wheel drive, turbo or front wheel drive. If it can be towed maximum speed is 65mph. You must start the car first and warm it up and run through the gears before putting it in neutral for towing. Maximum tow time is 6 hours before you have to go through the warm up and running through the gears again.
As for battery, you will need to run a charging wire from the coach to the car to keep the battery up. The car has a lot of parasitic electric draw that kills the battery while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Your Lincoln has the same requirements as my Ford Explorer. Since you have push button ignition you need to have the car in neutral and hit the ignition button until "accessory activated" is lite up on the dash. Make sure the radio and climate controls are off. Nothing needs to be done with the steering. Check your owners manual as it will tell you if the car can be towed 4 down based on whether it is 4,wheel drive, turbo or front wheel drive. If it can be towed maximum speed is 65mph. You must start the car first and warm it up and run through the gears before putting it in neutral for towing. Maximum tow time is 6 hours before you have to go through the warm up and running through the gears again.
As for battery, you will need to run a charging wire from the coach to the car to keep the battery up. The car has a lot of parasitic electric draw that kills the battery while towing.

This would definitely make me buy a trailer to haul it on!!!!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This would definitely make me buy a trailer to haul it on!!!!

Surprisingly it only takes about 5 minutes to hook up totally to the motor home.
I originally bought a Demco dolly but when the dealer went to put the Explorer on the dolly, it turned out the car was too wide to fit between the dolly fenders. Dealer checked every dolly manufacturer to see if they can accommodate a Ford Explorer and it turned out none were available. I had no choice but flat tow 4 down. The best decision I ever made and happened to me. Flat towing is extremely easy and quick to set up.

Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

The MKX was such a chore we got rid of it after 6 months towing and got a jeep. It felt as though the tranny was never the same after towing. Not to mention fried one battery. Multiple jumps starts. Just not worth it in my opinion. We are ecstatic with the jeep.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Do you already own the MKX? If not, look into the Cadillac SRX instead.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #9

If I was to get a toad, I would want something a little less " fragile" than the Lincoln or caddy.

Like the above poster that ditched the Lincoln for the jeep.

Durable, cheap to fix, proper frame on body.

Wrangler.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Someone mentioned that the MKX was like an Explorer, which doesn't surprise me in the least. We bought my wife a new Explorer as it could be flat towed (it's front wheel drive), then found out something that killed our plans. We got a demo, so it was loaded, and it had the adaptive cruise control, lane change monitors, etc. All great features, but the use cameras mounted in the front of the car that have to be coordinated with the base plate. Also, there is a crush zone on the front bumper that they remove and don't replace when the base plate is installed. Figuring the insurance company would claim I altered the safety features by removing the crush zone and not pay in an accident, paired with the probability the cameras for the other features would probably never work right again, made us decide not to tow it. Bought me a a Wrangler and tow that. Good luck - I hear they tow well if you're not as scary with it as I was.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Well Mr. Kustom you can buy whatever you like, if you ever need to that is.

Not sure what you mean by fragile, if you mean expensive, A new Wrangle is not much less expensive than a SRX or MKX.

I own both Wrangler & SRX so I know what I'm talking about.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #12

As mentioned above you...

Wrangler.
Solid axle.
Mechanical transfer case.
No wheel lock
Cheap to repair.

Not " fragile"

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #13

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Solid axle not an advantage for a toad.

Mechanical transfer case is held and operated by a small plastic piece that breaks easily. It's hard to buy one, much less replace it. Trust me, I've done it twice.

No wheel lock on the SRX either.

Ask ANY Jeep owner if it's cheap to repair.

I love my Jeep, I tow it just about every time we go camping.

Your argument in invalid.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #14

Lincoln MKX for a Tow Vehicle

I have no idea what you are talking about. Jeeps are inexpensive to modify and build. Lol.

My jk.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450222804.711958.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	96271

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

As a former Ford and Chrysler tech..
I would rather fix my jeep, than a Lincoln.

But hey!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450223984.729419.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	96272

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

from a woman's point of view: MKX hood very hard to see over. Seats uncomfortable. Center console height very "purse unfriendly". Large opening under center console not really big enough for a purse.
Jeep 2 door: not a lot of passenger room in backseat.
Jeep 4 door: plenty of passenger room, rides better than 2 door Jeep. But is heavier than 2 door Jeep.
Jeep great in snow/mud.
Jeep Grand Cherokee: Pure luxury! More expensive, yes but looks great! Also usually easier for women to get in/out of (height wise) than Wrangler.
Just my opinion.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #17

I actually drive the truck.
Since I traded her Lexus in on the truck, she now drives the jeep.
She loves it.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Do you already own the MKX? If not, look into the Cadillac SRX instead.

X2!!

I've been towing a Cadillac SRX for
4 years now and love it! Hooked up to the back of the motorhome in just a couple minutes tops! Turn the car off, put it in neutral and that's it! No battery to disconnect or charge since the car is completely off. Yes they are push button ignition but once you **** it off, lift the shifter boot and press the release button and shift into neutral. Then tow!!!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 AM   #19

If you ever have a chance to buy a Hummer H3, they are really great toads. Too bad they are not being made anymore.

I have used 2 different Saturns, a Suzuki, a Nissan Frontier, and my H3 has been following me since 2006. The Hummer has outlasted 2 different coaches and now it's coach number 3.

The Hummer can be setup easily with base plates from any of the manufacturers. It has an electronic transfer case that can easily be put into neutral. There is no steering lock. So, you hookup and put the transfer case into neutral, put the shifter into park, pull the key and away you go. To avoid battery drawdown, I use a "jump start" battery to power the Brake Buddy.

When you reach your destination, you have a good vehicle to go anywhere you want to go including off-road if you're into that.

And, yes, it's heavy. Close to 5,000 pounds. But I never had any problems towing it around. That's why I chose the e450 cutaway chassis for my Class C - the hitch is rated for 7500 pounds.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Surprisingly it only takes about 5 minutes to hook up totally to the motor home.
I originally bought a Demco dolly but when the dealer went to put the Explorer on the dolly, it turned out the car was too wide to fit between the dolly fenders. Dealer checked every dolly manufacturer to see if they can accommodate a Ford Explorer and it turned out none were available. I had no choice but flat tow 4 down. The best decision I ever made and happened to me. Flat towing is extremely easy and quick to set up.

X2. The setup on my Explorer seemed like a pain when I first investigated it, but it really is no more than a 5 minute task. As for having to run the Explorer engine every 6 hours, no big deal - I never drive more than 6 hours straight in the motorhome, so it is a non-issue. Plus, no trailer or tow dolly to deal with at a campground.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle