Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Lincoln MKX for a Tow Vehicle

Is anyone using the Lincoln MKX as a TV?

How easy are they to tow and put in tow mode? Is a battery disconnect required?

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM   #2

Are you asking as a TV (the Lincoln is towing something) or as toad (you are towing it with your Berkshire)? I'm guessing the later.
I found this discussion: Lincoln MKX - Towing - FMCA Motorhome Forums

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #3

Your Lincoln has the same requirements as my Ford Explorer. Since you have push button ignition you need to have the car in neutral and hit the ignition button until "accessory activated" is lite up on the dash. Make sure the radio and climate controls are off. Nothing needs to be done with the steering. Check your owners manual as it will tell you if the car can be towed 4 down based on whether it is 4,wheel drive, turbo or front wheel drive. If it can be towed maximum speed is 65mph. You must start the car first and warm it up and run through the gears before putting it in neutral for towing. Maximum tow time is 6 hours before you have to go through the warm up and running through the gears again.
As for battery, you will need to run a charging wire from the coach to the car to keep the battery up. The car has a lot of parasitic electric draw that kills the battery while towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 'cause I'm probably out in the RV!
Old 12-15-2015, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Your Lincoln has the same requirements as my Ford Explorer. Since you have push button ignition you need to have the car in neutral and hit the ignition button until "accessory activated" is lite up on the dash. Make sure the radio and climate controls are off. Nothing needs to be done with the steering. Check your owners manual as it will tell you if the car can be towed 4 down based on whether it is 4,wheel drive, turbo or front wheel drive. If it can be towed maximum speed is 65mph. You must start the car first and warm it up and run through the gears before putting it in neutral for towing. Maximum tow time is 6 hours before you have to go through the warm up and running through the gears again.
As for battery, you will need to run a charging wire from the coach to the car to keep the battery up. The car has a lot of parasitic electric draw that kills the battery while towing.

This would definitely make me buy a trailer to haul it on!!!!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This would definitely make me buy a trailer to haul it on!!!!

Surprisingly it only takes about 5 minutes to hook up totally to the motor home.
I originally bought a Demco dolly but when the dealer went to put the Explorer on the dolly, it turned out the car was too wide to fit between the dolly fenders. Dealer checked every dolly manufacturer to see if they can accommodate a Ford Explorer and it turned out none were available. I had no choice but flat tow 4 down. The best decision I ever made and happened to me. Flat towing is extremely easy and quick to set up.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

The MKX was such a chore we got rid of it after 6 months towing and got a jeep. It felt as though the tranny was never the same after towing. Not to mention fried one battery. Multiple jumps starts. Just not worth it in my opinion. We are ecstatic with the jeep.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Do you already own the MKX? If not, look into the Cadillac SRX instead.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #9

If I was to get a toad, I would want something a little less " fragile" than the Lincoln or caddy.

Like the above poster that ditched the Lincoln for the jeep.

Durable, cheap to fix, proper frame on body.

Wrangler.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

I am nice!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Someone mentioned that the MKX was like an Explorer, which doesn't surprise me in the least. We bought my wife a new Explorer as it could be flat towed (it's front wheel drive), then found out something that killed our plans. We got a demo, so it was loaded, and it had the adaptive cruise control, lane change monitors, etc. All great features, but the use cameras mounted in the front of the car that have to be coordinated with the base plate. Also, there is a crush zone on the front bumper that they remove and don't replace when the base plate is installed. Figuring the insurance company would claim I altered the safety features by removing the crush zone and not pay in an accident, paired with the probability the cameras for the other features would probably never work right again, made us decide not to tow it. Bought me a a Wrangler and tow that. Good luck - I hear they tow well if you're not as scary with it as I was.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle