Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #1

Lippert Entry Steps

This has been the most troublesome "system" on my entire coach.

I've been tinkering with it for months; Lippert even sent me a new control module gratis.

It is EXTREMELY "touchy" with regard to adjustment. If not PERFECT it will make a bad clunking noise about 8-10 times every time it retracts.

At the moment, it's working perfectly, but a few days from now it will probably start clunking again. It has driven me bonkers. Other than replacing the entire step unit with another brand, is there anything else I can do.

I think it was designed wrong in that the large pie shaped gear that engages the smaller gear on the drive motor, is a "couple of teeth shy" of a properly designed gear.

What happens is than unless adjusted perfectly the larger gear doesn't stay engaged with the smaller one (runs out of teeth) long enough to let the control unit over-amp enough to shut down the motor.

Anyone here that doesn't think that the Lippert steps suck??

Boowho

Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Ours have worked fine, we've just sprayed the joints once or twice a year.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #3

Have had same problems repeatedly with mine. I am on the 2nd replacement gear with teeth broken off and same clunking you have. My local mobile RV tech contacted them and they have sent a whole new replacement step. It should be installed this week and hope it works.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

We just had to order our third step unit.The factory replaced the original one and now the second one has quit retracting and extending. I have to pull it out by hand. Same with the retract. These steps suck! Frank
Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankatp View Post
We just had to order our third step unit.The factory replaced the original one and now the second one has quit retracting and extending. I have to pull it out by hand. Same with the retract. These steps suck! Frank
I've tried everything, including installing metal shims 3/8 inch tall on the step itself. I hoped this would cause the step to "bump" against the rubber stopper a bit sooner, thereby stalling the motor sooner and shutting down the motor correctly.

Replaced the control unit itself, adjusted the linkage 6 ways to Sunday, till my face turned blue.

My absolute FINAL try will be to better ground the whole step unit, as I've read a post on some blog by a Lippert tech that 95% of these problems are caused by a bad ground.

I think if I ever do get it fixed, I'll have so much spare time on my hands, I won't know what to do. But by then, it'll be time for a new coach.

The maddening part is I get it working perfectly for a few days, the it starts the clunking yet again. My DW says I make a two sylable word out of my expletive when it starts again.

Sheeeee--------it. (Stretching out the Sh part for a about 2 seconds).

Boowho??