Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Lippert Stair problem

I posted earlier that when my Lippert stairs retracted, they slid out of sight and then continued to grind for approximately 5-10 seconds.

It was suggested that my motor was the source of the problem. I contacted Lippert and they provided me a new motor, which I have just finished installing.

There is still 5-10 seconds of grinding when the stairs have retracted.

HELP!
DJP6371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP6371 View Post
I posted earlier that when my Lippert stairs retracted, they slid out of sight and then continued to grind for approximately 5-10 seconds.

It was suggested that my motor was the source of the problem. I contacted Lippert and they provided me a new motor, which I have just finished installing.

There is still 5-10 seconds of grinding when the stairs have retracted.

HELP!
Either motor OR control unit or BOTH. Motor did fix mine.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #3

Just an idea, is there a sensor switch on the stair hardware someplace? It seems that the motor doesn't know that the stairs are in. I don't have my rig here or I would look. Just a thought......

Good Luck
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
Just an idea, is there a sensor switch on the stair hardware someplace? It seems that the motor doesn't know that the stairs are in. I don't have my rig here or I would look. Just a thought......

Good Luck
There is no sensor..... The controller senses a very high current when the motor stalls at the end of the stair travel. When is senses that high current it shuts down the motor.

At least that's the way my 2011 works.

Boowho??
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

I am completely fed up with this step. I have gone thru 3 motors in less than 3 years. This last one failed on its maiden trip. Has anyone found a solution to this cronic problem? I am sereously thinking of replacing the entire step asembly with one made by an other manufacture.

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Tim I can tell you that Lippert was very busy this week replacing steps in everything from Berkshire's to 5th wheels and TT this week at the rally. It's not just the steps in or Berkshire. I asked the guy that replaced mine if it was a new product that might be better and he let me no that it was the same thing that came in my 2011. Mine lasted 2.5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I am completely fed up with this step. I have gone thru 3 motors in less than 3 years. This last one failed on its maiden trip. Has anyone found a solution to this cronic problem? I am sereously thinking of replacing the entire step asembly with one made by an other manufacture.

Tim

To "ease your pain" there is an exact replacement motor available from NAPA, CarQuest, etc for around $29. I don't have the PN for it at the moment, but it is the same as the power window motor in a 1992 Ford F150 PU truck (or something similar).

It fits exactly and is a fraction of the price of getting one from Lippert (assuming they won't "comp" you one).

The issue is so widespread though, that Lippert will probably "comp" one to almost anybody. Randy Houser can help you get a free one. You have to ship the failed one back to FR, however.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:23 PM   #8

I contacted Randy Houser as suggested. He email me back saying that he would have someone from Lippe contact me.

Dan from Lippe called today's and it looks as though they will be replacing my entire step assembly. He is just waiting for management approval.

I really hope that we can put this issue to bed once and for all

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote