Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Locked out

Didn't know it could happen but this past Saturday while camped we got locked out of our 2013 390RB. Either we accidently hit the lower lock on the door (lock with red plastic tip) or it dropped to the locked position when we closed the door. Fortunately I have a habit of looking out drivers side window (head out of the window) when I back up. Had done so and had left the window unlocked. Won't leave the coach again without my door keys. I also plan to hide one in a magetic holder somewhere.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Been there, done that. Grand daughter pushed lower lock down and we closed the door. Nothing like some outside time with the grand kids. Now have a key hiden ouside in cabinet that dosen't lock.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
Didn't know it could happen but this past Saturday while camped we got locked out of our 2013 390RB. Either we accidently hit the lower lock on the door (lock with red plastic tip) or it dropped to the locked position when we closed the door. Fortunately I have a habit of looking out drivers side window (head out of the window) when I back up. Had done so and had left the window unlocked. Won't leave the coach again without my door keys. I also plan to hide one in a magetic holder somewhere.
Same thing happened to me in my old coach. VERY easy to either bump it or it falls on it's own.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

We did the same with our former trailer, a Puma RK29SS. ALL the keys were locked inside the trailer, along with our cell phones. What a sinking feeling that was. Fortunately, the exterior hatch below the dinette was unlocked, but it was only about a foot tall, and maybe 16" wide.

Could it get any worse? Of course it could!! Our black lab was also locked inside the trailer. He was a smart boy, but didn't do door handles!

After eyeing the tiny hatch opening for several minutes, I asked my wife to search the campground for a kindly looking mother; one with a small child. Notice that I didn't volunteer my services for that task!

Well, about five minutes later, she returned with a lady and young boy in tow. I lavished the stranger with praise, and pointed out the small opening, while pleading our dilemma.

The boy looked exactly like Ralphy, right out of Christmas Story. He took a look at that minuscule opening, cocked the glasses atop the bridge of his nose, and volunteered to go caving in the belly of our trailer. I explained to him that our 90 pound lab would greet him as his shoved open the inner door, but only to worry about being licked to death, and not bitten.

I hoisted the youngster toward the opening, and he contorted his shoulders in serious angles, but managed to squeeze through. As I watched in angst, he crawled through the void, and finally popped open the door beneath the bench seat. There stood our dog, ears and jowls hanging down, ready to greet him.

Now, we all know about boys and dogs. The lad took several minutes to meet and greet our dog, while I worried if he'd forgotten how to work the lock I'd so carefully explained. No. He had it down pat, but he had quickly became a friend of our boy, and took the time to pet and speak with him.

As the three of us stood anxiously outside the main door, open it went, and down came dog and boy! All was well again! I asked the mother is it was acceptable that I reward her son, and she explained that that wasn't necessary. However, I saw that as a $10 adventure, and in the end, both boy and dog were happy.

After retrieving the keys to the trailer and our truck, my lab and I went into the closest town to have spare keys made. That's when I discovered that many places that do keys, can't do a trailer key. At least not the Walmart and True Value I visited. Fortunately, there was a locksmith in town, and he was open.

Ten minutes, two new keys, and two magnetic lock boxes later, man and dog returned to our trailer, never to be locked out again.

I'm sure glad my wife handled the recruiting of the child! I can just see myself going up to a strange woman, and asking, "Hey lady, can I borrow your child?" The rangers and cops would have surrounded the place before I could explain the situation, and rightfully so!

My lesson was learned, just like your's!

Happy camping!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #5

Happened to my husband while he was opening the gate to back into our driveway. He was alone and we live on a very narrow road. After he assisted all the backed up cars to carefully pass, he had to climb in the drivers window by standing on the tire. Picture a six foot three cowboy climbing in that small window then quickly moving the coach out of the road.
spottedhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
I also plan to hide one in a magetic holder somewhere.
While camping last summer, the vintage coach parked next to us had a fire while the owners were out for awhile, and since there was a dog inside, the manager broke in through the door window with an axe. I decided to buy and install a NEST smoke alarm that can be remotely acessed for status, and installed a lockbox on the inside surface of the propane door. The entrance door has labels directing emergency responders to that location, however in case of a fire, I'd rather my dog be rescued without delay. In case it was aa less imminent emergency (alarm, but no smoke), the lockbox has my cellphone on it, so I can provide the lockbox combination.

This is good for lockouts, but it has a couple of flaws, like some kids claiming to be firemen wanting the combination, or the even more unlikely event in which the firemen don't take an axe to the window to gain immediate entry to save my dog.

P.S: I used 1" #14 metal screws on the lockbox mounting, and was careful to make sure the box didn't contact anything inside when the door closed.
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedhorse View Post
Happened to my husband while he was opening the gate to back into our driveway. He was alone and we live on a very narrow road. After he assisted all the backed up cars to carefully pass, he had to climb in the drivers window by standing on the tire. Picture a six foot three cowboy climbing in that small window then quickly moving the coach out of the road.
Is that the same adage of being a hammer and everything looks like a nail?

As a cowboy riding a horse, now everything needs a leg up help and must be sat on/into from the top side?

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #8

You might want to consider getting one of those stickers from the ASPCA that says animal inside please rescue. Good luck.

Marcusfan
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #9

GREAT story telling! Fun read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands View Post
We did the same with our former trailer, a Puma RK29SS. ALL the keys were locked inside the trailer, along with our cell phones. What a sinking feeling that was. Fortunately, the exterior hatch below the dinette was unlocked, but it was only about a foot tall, and maybe 16" wide.

Could it get any worse? Of course it could!! Our black lab was also locked inside the trailer. He was a smart boy, but didn't do door handles!

After eyeing the tiny hatch opening for several minutes, I asked my wife to search the campground for a kindly looking mother; one with a small child. Notice that I didn't volunteer my services for that task!

Well, about five minutes later, she returned with a lady and young boy in tow. I lavished the stranger with praise, and pointed out the small opening, while pleading our dilemma.

The boy looked exactly like Ralphy, right out of Christmas Story. He took a look at that minuscule opening, cocked the glasses atop the bridge of his nose, and volunteered to go caving in the belly of our trailer. I explained to him that our 90 pound lab would greet him as his shoved open the inner door, but only to worry about being licked to death, and not bitten.

I hoisted the youngster toward the opening, and he contorted his shoulders in serious angles, but managed to squeeze through. As I watched in angst, he crawled through the void, and finally popped open the door beneath the bench seat. There stood our dog, ears and jowls hanging down, ready to greet him.

Now, we all know about boys and dogs. The lad took several minutes to meet and greet our dog, while I worried if he'd forgotten how to work the lock I'd so carefully explained. No. He had it down pat, but he had quickly became a friend of our boy, and took the time to pet and speak with him.

As the three of us stood anxiously outside the main door, open it went, and down came dog and boy! All was well again! I asked the mother is it was acceptable that I reward her son, and she explained that that wasn't necessary. However, I saw that as a $10 adventure, and in the end, both boy and dog were happy.

After retrieving the keys to the trailer and our truck, my lab and I went into the closest town to have spare keys made. That's when I discovered that many places that do keys, can't do a trailer key. At least not the Walmart and True Value I visited. Fortunately, there was a locksmith in town, and he was open.

Ten minutes, two new keys, and two magnetic lock boxes later, man and dog returned to our trailer, never to be locked out again.

I'm sure glad my wife handled the recruiting of the child! I can just see myself going up to a strange woman, and asking, "Hey lady, can I borrow your child?" The rangers and cops would have surrounded the place before I could explain the situation, and rightfully so!

My lesson was learned, just like your's!

Happy camping!
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #10

Have a key hidden outside plus one in toad.
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #11

Just an FYI, if this happens and you are at the trailer park. Start borrowing keys from a neighbor. I bet you find one that fits! Unlike cars there are only a couple of trailer keys made and even fewer exterior access door locks.

That being said...we keep a spare key at the local RV repair shop down the road from our permanent campsite. yes it saves you from the humiliation of going sight to sight and asking to try their keys.... yeah I've done it...It was the owner at the RV place who told me about asking to try different keys (in case they are closed), and it makes no difference on the make, more the year.

Has anybody seen the sun in the last week?
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 PM   #12

ive done this before too......

after realizing they keyless entry on my truck was a genius invention, i ordered one for the trailer door.....now i can lock the keys in there and not worry....

i got the bauer trailer model...they make one for motorhomes as well...

it says its a direct bolt on replacement...

well see!

(when i locked myself out i had to send my kid through the front hatch, and push in the piece of luan to the bed and then push the bed up to get in trailer.....then i had to fix it later...lol....i thought about asking around for keys to try....but i dont look like the nicest guy so im told, and i didnt want people to think i was breaking in)...LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
You might want to consider getting one of those stickers from the ASPCA that says animal inside please rescue. Good luck.

Marcusfan
I ordered one of these last week:

"Rescue Pet" Sign - Four Corners PD2012-001 - Safety - Camping World

I don't care how much damage must be done....

SAVE FRED!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Camper Less Camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1391281035.576632.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	45653

Installed a key box...best & inexpensive solution for potential lockouts or if we just don't want to carry our door keys while out

Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
Attachment 45653

Installed a key box...best & inexpensive solution for potential lockouts or if we just don't want to carry our door keys while out
Where did you purchase this from?

Perfect solution and location for a lock out situation.

Edited to add: I checked some similar lockboxes around the 'net. These seem to be mounted to the wall with screws only. (and since they're located, by necessity, in an unlocked compartment) What would prevent a person taking something like a butter knife and ripping this box off the wall? Yes, I know they'd then just have a box with the keys in it, but is the box made of metal sufficient to resist a good pounding with a hammer?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #16

I have a ford f150 with a door code pad. I keep a extra trailer key in the glove box. If I get locked out of the trailer, I unlock the truck with the key pad, and get the trailer key out of the glove box.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #17

The key lock box is a good idea. Please note, if someone wants in to your trailer, all they have to do is pry the lock box off the wall. I have smashed may of those lock boxes to get the key out, vary easy to smash open. Just be careful if you store the trailer in a storage lot.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
NELA

I'm wondering about one of those styles that realtors use, the kind with the loop on the top like a padlock. Those could be hung on the crab bar by the steps but that puts it right there in plain view for a determined thief and if need be they could unscrew the grab bar off the side of the RV, then smash the lock box.

But, as DH just said; ours is a 5er so it's not likely we'd ever tow it with another truck, so we'll just put an extra set inside the TV.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
NELA

Making a complete extra set will be a pain....key for the hitch tri pod, key for the surge guard connection lock, door key, storage bay key, key for the 5er hitch.

Lock smith's gonna love me.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #20

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Making a complete extra set will be a pain....key for the hitch tri pod, key for the surge guard connection lock, door key, storage bay key, key for the 5er hitch.

Lock smith's gonna love me.
First thing I did was get two extra sets made, I understand the lock smith will be in the Riviera for another two weeks....