Old 09-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Long term storage

Whenever we store our Bershire 40QL for more that 3-4 weeks, the coach batteries are completely dead. I've had bad experiences with trickle chargers, so is it considered safe to step the 50amp shore power down to 115v, and leave the inverter on for long periods?

We have a Magnum ME series inverter/charger. My assumption is that it will float charge the coach batteries, and should not be a high risk.

Thanks in advance!

jccrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:26 PM   #2

If your Magnum is working according to spec, there is no reason not to leave your coach connected all winter. Stepping down is merely using a 50 to 30 amp adapter and then a 15/20 amp to 30 amp adapter. Nothing in your coach uses 220 volts and the adapters will power everything, especially the Magnum. I would turn it to converter only (inverter off) if that is doable. I have a separate converter and two inverters, so it is easy for me to do that. The magnum should drop to 13.2 volts and keep everything up all winter long. You might want to check it to make sure that it does drop to float but 13.2 or 13.3 volts will not boil off electrolyte and should be fine.

If your Berk is like my Georgetown, keep the batteries connected since the converter cannot reach the batteries if you use the disconnect.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

I leave mine connected all winter, but found it was not keeping the chassis batteries charged. I keep a trickle charger on the chassis batteries with the chassis battery cut off switch turned off.

House batteries stay charged fine.
Northern Ohio
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #4

That is a good point. Depending on the set point of your battery control center, the chassis battery may or may not be on line with the converter during the winter. You could use a separate trickle charger, or you could run a #10 or #12 wire from the positive of the chassis battery to the positive of the house batteries. That way the converter will keep the chassis up as well.

2015 335DS
Old 09-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply Scott - I will try that. I assume you leave the 'battery disconnect" set to "Use" (i.e, the switch just inside the door, not the cutoff switches in the battery bays). May be why in Kenny's reply the house batteries were not charging.

jccrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccrowe View Post
Thanks for your reply Scott - I will try that. I assume you leave the 'battery disconnect" set to "Use" (i.e, the switch just inside the door, not the cutoff switches in the battery bays). May be why in Kenny's reply the house batteries were not charging.

I turned the switch to off due to having the trickle charger on the chassis batteries.
Before my discovery, it was left in the on position. So in my case, the chassis batteries were not getting charged.
In talking with various folks at both Forest River and Freightliner, half said the chassis batteries should be getting charged while plugged in, and half said not.
Northern Ohio
Old 09-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I turned the switch to off due to having the trickle charger on the chassis batteries.
Before my discovery, it was left in the on position. So in my case, the chassis batteries were not getting charged.
In talking with various folks at both Forest River and Freightliner, half said the chassis batteries should be getting charged while plugged in, and half said not.
If the battery disconnect was set to "ON" and the batteries weren't getting charged, and they don't charge set on "Off", how did you ever run anything on 12v?
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #8

Yes, the switch should be set to use. All of these coaches are different as I do not have a chassis battery switch at all. The problem is whether the battery control center interprets that the float charge voltage from the converter is above the threshold to connect the chassis to the house batteries. Some BCCs are touchy and the 13.2 could be a little low hence the chassis will remain disconnected from the house and not be charged over the winter without adding a separate trickle charger or hooking the chassis positive directly to the house with a relatively small wire.

2015 335DS
Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Re-read post, I was thinking House battery, and not Chassis battery.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #10

Let me try to clarify

When I first took my coach home, I left both house and chassis batteries "on" (switch in the 'on' position). I found the chassis batteries were way down and not charging, but the house batteries were fine. The chassis batteries went so low, I had to get two new ones.

So, I now leave the house batteries to "on" and the chassis batteries main to "off". I plug a trickle charger into an outlet (coach is plugged in for power all winter), and connect the charger to the chassis batteries directly after turning the master switch for the chassis batteries off.

I hope this explains it a little better. I've never been a wordsmith

Northern Ohio

Tags
storage