Old 06-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Long Term Storage--Use Battery Disconnect?

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Berkshire 390QS. I'm putting the unit up for a couple months at my storage place (where I have it plugged into a 110 outlet via the main cable with the 110 adapter on my 30-to-50 dog-bone. My charger is running fine, but I'm wondering if all batteries will be charged if I flip the battery disconnect switch by the front entrance? I'm sort of assuming that disconnected means disconnected, but I don't know if that also means no float charging can take place either?

Second question, the former owners have a battery tender wired in for what I assume are the chassis batteries. Will the chassis batteries get charged by the main coach charger or do I need to keep the Battery Tender plugged in as well to keep the chassis batteries topped off?

Thanks,
Mark...

Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No charging will happen if "disconnected"

I leave my unit plugged in 24/7 365

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

Old 06-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks Turbs,

Will "plugged in" also keep the chassis batteries topped off or just the 6v coach batteries?
Old 06-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
No charging will happen if "disconnected"

I leave my unit plugged in 24/7 365

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

This isn't true. I think TURBS is referring to not being plugged into a power outlet. Your Berkshire will charge the batteries when plugged in and the front "disconnect" switched off. It will still even charge if you turn the main disconnects off for both coach and chassis batteries. You'll see that with the disconnects off and plugged in you can read your charging indicator in the coach and it will display the state of charge.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 PM   #5

Long Term Storage--Use Battery Disconnect?

I leave mine plugged in 100% of the time. I'll turn the inverter off , and I turn the salesman switch at the door to off. The refrigerator stays on also.

On this program all seem to be fine. Just keep an eye on your batteries. Mine seem to use up a little water. Not sure if it because they being charged too much or not??

I never touch the battery disconnect switches.

Russell
Old 06-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
This isn't true. Your Berkshire will charge the batteries when plugged in and the disconnects shut off. You'll see that with the disconnects off and plugged in you can read your charging indicator in the coach and it will display the state of charge.
Respectively I think your wrong. But I'd like to stand corrected.
Charger will still put out voltage "appearing to be charging" but will not charge the batteries if disconnect is off.
The battery cables go directly from the batteries to the charger to the distribution panel.
No matter where the disconnect is in that line it disconnects the batteries from the charger.
Unless the disconnect is between Charger and distribution panel, is that the case?

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Old 06-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

I don't think mark is talking about the 'real' cutoff switch in the power bays, but the 'salesman switch' by the front door. The Berk has multiple ways to cut power.

When I only flip the switch by the door off, my batteries still charge. And my residential fridge stays on.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I don't think mark is talking about the 'real' cutoff switch in the power bays, but the 'salesman switch' by the front door. The Berk has multiple ways to cut power.

When I only flip the switch by the door off, my batteries still charge. And my residential fridge stays on.
I guess some clarification is needed!

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
Old 06-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

He said "if I flip the battery disconnect switch by the front entrance" in the OP.
That clarified it for me. At least in a Berkshire, I don't know about other types of RVs.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
He said "if I flip the battery disconnect switch by the front entrance" in the OP.
That clarified it for me. At least in a Berkshire, I don't know about other types of RVs.

Ha. I missed the OP front door switch. But Turbs on the Berkshire that switch is just the salesman switch. In the compartments there are two other battery disconnects. I never switch off the compartment disconnects due to bring plugged into shore power

Russell

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, storage