Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 PM   #1

Looking for brake light fuses

We have 4 lights on each side that should illuminate when braking. Right now, just left 4 and right 2 work. Bulbs check OK.

I can't find any info on where the fuses are located. Anyone know?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #2

Is your Motorhome part of the Freightliner recall for the Power Distribution Module which controls the rear lights? Check with Freightliner with your Vin number.
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #3

generally, all Chassis fuses are located in the driver side front bay, usually mounted on the wall, and maybe BEHIND a cover
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses., guys.

Yes, it was in the recall and the PDM board was replaced yesterday. My understanding from the recall notice is that it affected left side lights - but was hoping my right side problem might be cured too; but not the case.

I looked at the directories for the panels below the driver window but nothing describing rear lights. Guess I'll just pull & check fuses. Maybe the circuit is in a "spare" fuse location.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

This may seem oversimplification, but if two of the four lights on one side work, but not all four, have you checked the bulbs? Or possibly the wire between the various lights on that side? You might turn on your four way flashers, and check the sockets on the problem with a 12 volt test light. I suggest using the four ways, because they normally flash the same lights as the brakes. I don't believe you will find a separate fuse for say, upper and lower lights on one side, unless you have a bus conversion. Bus builders lean strongly toward separate everything, and many fuses or breakers.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #6

All Brake Lamps are fused from the same source (Chassis fuse block in the FCC Battery Compartment). If a specific set of lights doesn't function I would verify you Zero resistance between the 16 Wht & chassis ground on the set that doesn't function. Then verify you have a +12V to the 16 Red wire with the brake depressed.

If either of these are open, they can quickly be spliced onto the matching wire of the light assembly that does function.
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #7

It sure sounds like a ground problem to me.Why not try adding a ground to light and frame to see. May electric 12 volt problems are grounds.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
generally, all Chassis fuses are located in the driver side front bay, usually mounted on the wall, and maybe BEHIND a cover
Nope. The rear lights are controlled by the rear PDM (Power Distribution Module) as described above and located in the rear, mine is in the shore power compartment with the inverter. There are no individual fuses. It's all digital. (There ARE fuses for your trailer lights here).

And, replacing same didn't fix his problem so indeed we're probably looking at a wiring issue, especially since half of them work on that side.

Yes, run a ground and see if that helps, if not splice into the top ones and be done with it.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #9

I had the same problem on my 2016. Getting access back there (at least on mine) was difficult. It was intermittent which didn’t help, but when we were doing our light check after hooking up the toad I tapped the fixture and it started to work. I cleaned all of the contacts ( there seems to be more condensation in that particular light) where the bulbs seat and pulled the metal contacts out a bit for a tighter fit. I believe my issue to be the ground on the one bulb and it’s wired so that it affected the other as well. So far it’s worked.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #10

Good info; thanks!

We're on the road, but will look into grounding shortly.

Tags
fuse, light