Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #1

Lots of ??'s from soon to be full-timer!!

Greeting Berkshire owners!

First off I want to say I am jealous that you already own your sweet rig!

This is my first post - so quick background info. Me, my wife and 9 yr old daughter are going to be hitting the road full-time because of a sweet deal I have coming up with a company that is going to require me to travel a lot - so we decided to liquidate everything and stay together until we have to come off the road. By then we will know where we really want to live next!

I have looked at a lot of different coaches and have narrowed it down to the FR Berkshire 390BH. I found out the other day that the 2011 models are now being offered with the 360 Cummins. So, I have some questions that I can't seam to get answered - I hope you guys can help me!

1) With the new 360 Cummins what is the CCC of the rig?

2) Has anyone installed a bigger inverter in this rig? If so, what size and why?

3) I want to install a tracking TV sat dome, a MotoSat dish, Solar Panels and a Yackama Storage pod (biggest they have) all on the roof - is there enough room? Does anyone see any issues with this?

4) Has anyone replaced the second sofa (next to the kitchen) with a custom desk system? If so, can you please tell me about it: cost, who built it, photos, etc?

5) Has anyone installed a keypad/keyless entry system on their door?

6) What about adding storage drawers under the bottom bunk bed & safety rails to the top bunk?

7) Does anyone know of a Berkshire with an Aqua-Hot Heating System installed and what it took to do that?

8) What about adding 2 more 110 electrical outlets?

9) What about replacing the combo W/D unit with a stackable unit - is there room for that?

10) Last but not least - anyone foresee taking the new diesel engines into Mexico for extended periods of time?

I hate to throw so many questions into one thread instead of breaking them all up - but I figured this topic could end up becoming a pretty lengthy thread and really helpful to all of us!

Thanks in advance,
Jim

FTRovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
2008 390BH

6) What about adding storage drawers under the bottom bunk bed & safety rails to the top bunk?

I am about to tackle this. I dont have all the details worked out but it looks straight forward. I already built a slide out rack next to the oven to hold pots and pans. Rather than digging thru the cabinet, I slide it out and easily access it. I will adding some other shelves in the kitchen and entertainment center soon.

We bought a bed rail system that is designed to slide under a mattress. It fits fine and my 6 yr old has had no problems up there. very similar to this one Regalo Easy Hide-Away Bed Rail

We also bought an alum. bunk ladder. We had to trim the length so it would fit better Amazon.com: Surco 505B 60" Bunk Ladder Hook Retainer: Automotive

8) What about adding 2 more 110 electrical outlets?

I added one outlet in the basement near the sink area. I tapped into an existing AC line, added junction box, pigtailed off of this and added a GFI outlet with waterproof lids.

justinph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #3

I just pick mine up. I do not think there is enough room for a stackable in the current location. Justin-I like your modifications.
Debbie
Dbt803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
2008 390BH

here are the pics. door closed, open, rack pulled out. I still need to complete some cosmetics including stain and seal. I plan to put a fixed shelf above this one. One will go in the entertainment center as well since there is a lot of wasted space above the DVD player (which i replaced, i have a Samsung now, much better...looking for 2 1/2" speakers for the ceiling now... need something more sensitive esp for the front radio...hard to hear sometimes and quality not what i want.).

Just a tip... in the bathrom, in the cabinet under the sink, remove the piece of wood at the floor (2 or 3 screws). behind this is the water feeds for the sink. I put tp, wet wipes, tank treatment etc. space is a premium so i try to use all I can.

Once I finish the drawers under the bunk, i will posts pic.

I have also added a manifold system in the water bay so i only hook one water feed and I can just twist a knobs to feed water to any of the three inlets. I will take a pic of this too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	2714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0003.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	2715  
justinph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #5

OK - I have been researching this some more since I no here has any experience with some of these questions.

9) What about replacing the combo W/D unit with a stackable unit - is there room for that? You actually need 7" more space either up or down for a stackable W/D - so strike that one off the list.

3) I want to install a tracking TV sat dome, a MotoSat dish, Solar Panels and a Yackama Storage pod (biggest they have) all on the roof - is there enough room? Does anyone see any issues with this? Well, there is plenty of room up there for it all and some more. You just have to be careful with the height and what you drill into! A professional shop that actually knows what they are doing will be installing all of my accessories!

5) Has anyone installed a keypad/keyless entry system on their door? This can be done pretty easily - the company that sell the unit is - 540-0200 Lighted Grab Handle with Keypad (e-GRAB) | TriMark Corporation

I am still anxious to see what Justin does with the space under the bunks!

I actually got to see a 390BH today at THE Rally in Louisville and now I am REALLY sold on this unit - even if you have to stand sideways to shower! lol

Jim
FTRovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #6

Our bunk model Georgetown has drawers under the bottom bunk already. I put safety rails on both bunks. The ones I'm using are plastic - typically what you get for toddler beds at home. Part of it slips under the mattress. The bar part lifts straight up and then will fold down away from the bed making access easy if needed. I'm in the process of sewing a cover (something like a pillow case) to slide over the rail part, with one long end that goes between the mattress and the rail. The purpose of the cover is comfort (it's padded material - a sacrificed comforter), and to make it visually more appealing. I'm adding divided pockets to the inside for storage of stuffies and other treasures. My twins are 6, my little boy is 4. The boys sleep on the bottom and my daughter on the top. I worried of course about them rolling out of bed, but the other benefit I didn't anticipate is that with an extra "side" they have the full width useable.

days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire