Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Loud Dometic rear AC unit

I have a 2011 390BH and the rear AC unit has been loud ever since we bought it. I finally called Dometic and inquired if there was anything I could do to quiet the AC unit down. Dometic said all I need was a anti vibration kit and I should be fine. I received the kit today and was looking over the instructions and the said the only tools I need is needle nose pliers and a flexible blade putty knife.

Has anyone installed one of these kits? Will I have to pull the AC unit from the roof the directions are not that detailed it looks like the pads go on the bottom of the AC unit. Any info will be helpful thanks in advance
csichoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

There was a thread last year about this very thing. Mine is loud too but DW and I like it like that. It drowns out the noise coming from outside such as loud neighbors and drowns out my snoring so the DW can sleep.

Do a search for rear AC.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Found it for you. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...oom-67648.html
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Music to my ears makes me sleep better Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #5

Thanks Campin Cajun I read that tread but I was looking for someone that has installed the kit that could give me any advise and what all is involved. I just received the kit and was thinking doing it this weekend but we are leaving for Nebraska the following week and I don't want to screw something up and not have one of my AC units while in Nebraska
Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by csichoice View Post
Thanks Campin Cajun I read that tread but I was looking for someone that has installed the kit that could give me any advise and what all is involved. I just received the kit and was thinking doing it this weekend but we are leaving for Nebraska the following week and I don't want to screw something up and not have one of my AC units while in Nebraska

I had a kit sent as well. It included new bushings. If your is the same as what I got it is really easy. Pull cover- where compressor pump is there are two pins. Pull pins- slide out existing bushings - replace with new. It made a difference in my berk but they are still loud. Hope that helps. Ken.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:38 PM   #7

Hoping this will help me too!
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #8

Hope this will help

I had the same problem; mine was so bad it was embarrassing when at a campground. Sounded like the thing was going to come off the roof it made so much noise. After taking the cover off and finding the problem I was able to fix it in about a minute. The photo is of a little different unit from mine but I think with it I can show you what’s going on. The copper tubing marked by the red arrow was touching the piece of sheet metal that goes down the front side of the coils, causing all the pieces marked with yellow to vibrate (YOURS MAY NOT BE IN THE SAME PLACE, BUT I BET SOMETHING FROM THE COMPERSSOR IS TOUCHING SOMEWHERE JUST LOOK AROUND FOR IT). All I had to do was bend ever so little the copper tubing away from the sheet metal just enough to give it clearance about 1/8” to ¼”. (IF YOU TRY THIS DO IT WHEN UNIT IS COOL AS THE TUBING CAN BE HOT). It’s just poor quality control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T310side.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	84103  
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:19 AM   #9

Who did you call to get the kit, and info did you need for them.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

I just Googled Dometic AC customer service be prepared for a long wait I think the hold time was over 30 minutes
Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgllt View Post
Who did you call to get the kit, and info did you need for them.

I called dometic. You need the serial number. They had a bad batch of the rubber bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #12

Thanks
Old 07-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

Well, my rear A/C took a crap this past week. Dometic tells me my unit is 6 months out of warranty. It's leaking oil and freon at a solder joint. Oh sir, that unit is not field serviceable I was told. So, when I get back from Maine on the 8th, it goes to get replaced. Crap components their installing!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #14

While I can understand your position (crap components) BUT being someone who worked on a/c's for some time I have had large compressors go bad in a week, so it is not the rv industry that has any lock on bad units. Yes many are load but can be fixed with a simple bushing kit.
So sorry for your issues but this is life today
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic