Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

LR and Kitchen Under-Cabinet Lights

We are in the middle of driving our "new to us" 2010 Berkshire 390BH from LA to home in Miami. Everything works well with only one issue - none of the under-cabinet lights in the living room, above the table or above the sink work. The bulbs are intact, and the LED ceiling lights work fine. Checked breaker box, but no problems there. No other electrical or mechanical problems.

Am I missing a switch of some sort?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I reviewed all light related threads but didn't find anything.
Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Not sure what lights you are referring to. I don't have them. A couple of things to check. By the door on mine the 5 switches that control the basement and living room lights. The middle switch controls our living m room light. If that is off the main switch will not turn them on. Also the lights a 12 volt so the breakers have nothing to do with them. The fuses are in the first compartment on the drivers side. The one with the round key. They should be labeled and easy to check.
Not sure what else to check. Welcome to the forum. Happy to have a new Berkshire owner. Seems like lots are joining in lately. Great news.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:35 AM   #3

I never heard of a Berkshire from the factory with under cabinet lighting. I wonder if they were installed by the previous owner. Do you know his/her name so you could contact and ask? Could always do a VIN check to get it.

My under cabinet LEDs that I installed are run by a remote that is the size of a credit card. This is popular. Have you seen anything like that around?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

We have a 2014BH-60, on our model the light over the table is controlled by a switch mounted under the cabinet over the seat closest to the sofa. As far as over the sink, the switch is on the left side of the light casing.
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on the Berkshire.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #5

JB

I have the same lights in my 2011. Check the fuses in the main electrical bay & there may also be fuses above the inverter (I have three fuse panels located there in my 2011 coach).

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Switches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
We are in the middle of driving our "new to us" 2010 Berkshire 390BH from LA to home in Miami. Everything works well with only one issue - none of the under-cabinet lights in the living room, above the table or above the sink work. The bulbs are intact, and the LED ceiling lights work fine. Checked breaker box, but no problems there. No other electrical or mechanical problems.

Am I missing a switch of some sort?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I reviewed all light related threads but didn't find anything.
Switches often end up in odd places. We recently purchased a new RV and had lights that "didn't work". While working on other items, I noticed 2 switches on the main control panel, e.i. the panel that controls the water heater, A/C, water pump,etc. Low and behold, one was for the kitchen lighting and the other was for the dining area. The panels are actually labeled as such. In all other areas, they were independent wall switched. Also check for switches at the camper entry door. Finally, check the switches on the fixtures.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

My unit has under cabinet lights 2 LEDs round lights operated from a switch under the upper cabinet.

Wayne
Old 10-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

I think most of the newer ones do. I wonder if he figured this out?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:43 PM   #9

Good News, Bad News and Worse News

The good news is that replacing a fuse in the panel in front compartment on the driver's side worked for lights above sink and couch behind passenger seat. The bad news is that the kitchen table light and light above larger couch are still dark. Could be a mystery switch, as PenJoe suggested. Could be loose wiring, which I will explore when I get it home and have all my tools.

The worse news is that on I-10 Eastbound just into El Paso the air suspension stopped working - but being a newbie and having heard that this particular route was rough, I continued on for several miles until it became too dangerous. Good Sam sent some mechanics who explained that the bouncing on the road probably overloaded the air bags, and the bags have a safety shutoff to avoid over pressure. Whether accurate or not, I don't know, but they re-set a relay switch and everything worked fine for the rest of the day.

The bouncing and banging was severe, and now there is a black corrugated hose (about two inches in diameter) that is hanging somewhat low between the rear axle and the rear end of the rig. There is no obvious missing bracket, and it is about 8-10 inches off the ground with jacks down. Will arrive in Austin, TX tomorrow and want to have a mechanic check that and anything else that might have come loose.

Thank you all for your help, and if anyone knows a good mechanic in Austin, a referral would be much appreciated.

JB
Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #10

Call for 800 FTL help before you go with good Sam too far. 24/7 on the line.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #11

Thanks, Paul. Great suggestion. FTL Help walked me through what likely actually happened, what to watch for, and provided contact info for Freightliner of Austin. Thanks again.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #12

So did FL agree that the bags deflated because the road was so rough? That seems hard to except.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
there is a black corrugated hose (about two inches in diameter) that is hanging somewhat low between the rear axle and the rear end of the rig. There is no obvious missing bracket, and it is about 8-10 inches off the ground with jacks down

JB
Sounds like what my transmission lines have looked like since day one you
Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #14

Not exactly. She said that one part of the system is a breakaway part (by design) that can be knocked out of position, resulting in deflation and the bouncing I experienced until the part was out back into place. However, I believe she thought it more likely that road debris was the cause than simply the roughness of the road.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
So did FL agree that the bags deflated because the road was so rough? That seems hard to except.

Not exactly. She said that one part of the system is a breakaway part (by design) that can be knocked out of position, resulting in deflation and the bouncing I experienced until the part was out back into place. However, I believe she thought it more likely that road debris was the cause than simply the roughness of the road.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #16

That black corrugated hose sounds like the plastic loom that they put around the wires. If it is black plastic that has a slit in it, then that is probably what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire...wJs5bkmp5NM%3D

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #17

My transmission cooling lines also has that kind of wrap around both lines.

Wayne

Tags
light