Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Motorhome newbie

Macerator toilet electrical question

Our Thetford Tecma macerator toilet went dead today - no operation or light on the switch. The manual calls for a 30a circuit breaker, but there's only one 30a CB in the below-bed panel and it's OK. Also, no indication on the 12V distribution panel directory for a toilet.

Might there be another panel somewhere for this toilet?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
Dragonship Captain

It's all 12V.... no CB involved.

Are the lights on the panel on? If so what colors are you seeing?

Are you a multiplex bus or a steam bus?

Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
Motorhome newbie

No lights on the panel switch.
It's a Precision Plex panel.

Toilet was inop during yesterday's travel. But noticed switch lights back on when we parked for the night. However, lights off this morning. Looks like maybe loose connection. Checked for connection at back of switch, but wire is molded into the back, so no way to check there for loose.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #4
Motorhome newbie

Addendum to last post

A few hours after the last post, the switches were still unlit, but I tried a flush anyway - it flushed and the lights came on and stayed lit. Also, no unleveling or any MH movement during the downtime.

This has happened before and I expect it'll happen again.

Very puzzling to me...
Old 07-08-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

On 2018 & earlier Legacy, Berkshire & Berkshire XL models, your 30A Circuit breaker is located in the storage compartment to the rear of the battery compartment (to the right of the hydraulic pump).

On Berkshire XLT units the 30A circuit breaker is going to be in the upper right corner of the same storage compartment as the Power Reel.

Assuming your interior lights are still functional & you have power to your PrecPlex Panel (12V Fuse Panel under the bed). A simple way to determine if you have power to the 30A circuit breaker is to verify your CO detector is functional. If your CO detector is functional check the 30A Circuit breaker, if your CO detector is inoperative, check the connection from the House Battery Disconnect Solenoid.
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFather View Post
A few hours after the last post, the switches were still unlit, but I tried a flush anyway - it flushed and the lights came on and stayed lit. Also, no unleveling or any MH movement during the downtime.

This has happened before and I expect it'll happen again.

Very puzzling to me...
Hello John, this is normal operation. The panel will go into a “sleep” mode after a period of inactivity. Once you touch it it will “wake” again with the panel lights lit. Nothing to worry about my friend.
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #7
Motorhome newbie

Good info, guys!

Although it turned out to be intermittent, that seemed to rule out the CB, unless it was automatically resetting. But now I know where it is.

The sleep mode would explain the symptoms most of the time, but I believe there were times when it wouldn't wake up. I'll keep an eye on it and keep detailed notes if it recurs.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #8

Macerate Toilet

My 2019 Berkshire 40 D has that toilet and I had a similar problem. I never did find the fuse. That said I agree on lights going out when it goes into sleep mode. I was monitoring tank levels when it stopped working. There is a device that stops the toilet from flushing when the tank registers full. You can force a flush by holding both buttons. I drained my tank but the toilet didn’t work until I’d driven a while. Perhaps the full sensor was swished clean. No problems since.

G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical