Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #1

Magne Shade.

We just installed our new Magne Shades and what a difference they make on cooling the coach. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471704874.611835.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	117883Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471704890.194147.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	117884

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:20 PM   #2

Looking good there.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

Love mine and living in Arizona it is a must have! Love the daytime privacy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

If you have someone who is handy with a sewing machine you can save about $300 making your own out of the same sunbrella they use and the same magnets (the magnets cost more than the fabric)
We were lucky enough where my mother in law is that handy with a sewing machine and made the shades for the front and drivers window for under $250- again magnets were about $150 of that price, if I recall correctly.
Great concept, just over priced when you look at the cost to do your own.
ChuckandJennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckandJennr View Post
If you have someone who is handy with a sewing machine you can save about $300 making your own out of the same sunbrella they use and the same magnets (the magnets cost more than the fabric)
We were lucky enough where my mother in law is that handy with a sewing machine and made the shades for the front and drivers window for under $250- again magnets were about $150 of that price, if I recall correctly.
Great concept, just over priced when you look at the cost to do your own.

I have seen a bunch of homemade products attempting to copy a really well made product. They all look like crap and sag and fall off. Roger makes a great product that is well worth the expense. It holds up for years and still looks great. He even helps put them on if he has time. Magna Shade supports the FR rally every year and I'm proud to say he is a friend. Copying a patented product is like copying movies. It's illegal for a reason. This is a small family run business that employees 25-30 people. No one is getting rich just a guy trying to do the right thing.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I have seen a bunch of homemade products attempting to copy a really well made product. They all look like crap and sag and fall off. Roger makes a great product that is well worth the expense. It holds up for years and still looks great. He even helps put them on if he has time. Magna Shade supports the FR rally every year and I'm proud to say he is a friend. Copying a patented product is like copying movies. It's illegal for a reason. This is a small family run business that employees 25-30 people. No one is getting rich just a guy trying to do the right thing.

X2 Totally agree !

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 AM   #7

Magne Shade.

I agree - some look like crap but if you know a seamstress that solves the problem, measure twice cut once fixed that....
As for a patent violation, nice try. A patent violation did not occur as I did not use his exact process or materials which is what is protected, I used his concept the same type of material, but where he doesn't tell what exact material or magnets I couldn't make a true copy so therefore couldn't violate his patent if he actually has one already approved.
Just looking to save someone a lot of money on the mark up guys, no need to get on the high horse and claim I'm violating the law by making my own sun shade....
ChuckandJennr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:

Roger and friends installed our Magna shades at the FROG Rally. The installation is easy with two people. They look fantastic and even do a better keeping the coach cool.
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #9

I'm thrilled at the results I got installing my Magnashades. You could say I'm a "happy camper"!
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 AM   #10
2014 360 QL

i love mine. i have the tire shades also. 3 years and no problems
Old 08-27-2016, 07:07 PM   #11

Hi Phil,

How can I contact Magnashade and do you know if it has to be custom fitted or if it can be sent to me in California? It doesn't look very hard to install, why does the owner gets involved in installations?
Thanks
Jacques

2017 Berkshire XL40BH-380
Chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgpapillon View Post
Hi Phil,

How can I contact Magnashade and do you know if it has to be custom fitted or if it can be sent to me in California? It doesn't look very hard to install, why does the owner gets involved in installations?
Thanks
Jacques

It's not a difficult install at all. He got involved because we were at the rally and he offered to help install one in case anyone had questions. I think he sold a couple while he was doing it. Roger is the owner of the company and just a great guy. Here is a link to the company's web site.
http://www.magneshade.com/

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #13

Can you just give him the year, make and model or do you have to send him the actual window measurements?
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #14

If he has the template on file he will make it from that. Always good to supply measurements. Probably not necessary for a Berkshire.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #15

Quote:
It's not a difficult install at all. He got involved because we were at the rally and he offered to help install one in case anyone had questions. I think he sold a couple while he was doing it. Roger is the owner of the company and just a great guy. Here is a link to the company's web site.
Home | Magne Shade | Sunshade for RV, RV Shade, Installs from the ground, Magnetic Shade, Magnet Shade
I agree! I didn't go the same route and now kind of wish I had. I bought from another company who make a good product but you have to use a ladder to put them up. As I get older the ladder is getting tougher to use. They were a few bucks cheaper, but in the long run I probably didn't make the best decision.

Now a real life example. I'm in Macon GA right now. Yesterday it was 98 degrees and we are setting on a full sun lot. I have my outside shades on and put down the inside sun shades and was able to maintain 76° inside the coach. The A/C did run constantly from about 2pm to about 6pm but prior to and after that time it did cycle on and off some. I do have 2 15K high efficiency units on the coach.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #16

When I ordered my side screens I called they have most sizes for Berks on file but they like to verify your measurements with theirs. Just installed the magnets yesterday waiting for them to cure. Everything fits perfect. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #17

Ya, can't wait to get mine on..
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:54 PM   #18

Using a ladder to put up an imitation window shade is not only a bad idea, but the "money you save" might just have to be used to pay that hospital co pay..........

We have used MagneShades on our last coach, and now our Berkshire. They are worth every penny we paid for them! Sure beats the price of new A/C units!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #19

My extension rod to put up the shade just snapped.... Put the tip in the corner and while reaching up to the top corner of the windshield the rod just bent right over and snapped. Too heavy of a screen for the thin rod! Now I'm using a ladder! Ugh!

--Nathan
2016 38a
Old 09-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #20
2011 Berkshire 390BH

Nathan, My rod broke when I was putting it up wet, I contacted them and they sent me a new one. Craig

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote