Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage

Since we usually read about complaints and problems here on the forum, I thought for a change of pace, I would post good news.

On Friday, we drove 100 miles and change to Salt Fork State Park in Southeast Ohio to spend the weekend.

I can happily report we did not experience a single problem with any functions of the Berk. The only problem we can report is the residential 'fridge doors opening on bends in the road. The temporary solution was to run a broom stick handle thru the handles.

I am so relieved it went so smoothly. The only other thing I would like to do before the next trip is put on a Safe-T. I got tired of the constant steering corrections and the "not real smooth" interstate.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #2

Glad to hear Kenny. I know you waited a long time for this.

Before you start throwing money at the coach to improve the handling, have you had it weighed and adjusted your tire pressure? Mine is a one finger drive after doing this and getting a front end alignment.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

I do monitor the air pressure with my Tire Monitor. Pressure was good. It seemed like it needed constant correction and not in one direction or another. It's fine on the smoother roads. Just on rough ones, seems to need constant correction in both directions.

I was thinking about the Safe-T as a little helper in case of a front tire sudden depressurization too.

Thanks for the comments !!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #4

Kenny,
Happy to hear that all went well with your maiden voyage. Hope you have many more years of fun, memorable and trouble free trips!
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #5

Oh my gosh it gives me hope with my "Berk" my maiden voyage is the week after Memorial day!! Thank you for the good news!!
Sigmili1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmili1973 View Post
Oh my gosh it gives me hope with my "Berk" my maiden voyage is the week after Memorial day!! Thank you for the good news!!
All I can say (so far, anyway. --- always the pessimist) is that I'm extremely happy with our purchase of the FR Berk. Now I'm starting to worry that I won't have anything for them to fix at Goshen
Old 05-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Kenny, glad you had a good trip and hopefully many more to follow.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
All I can say (so far, anyway. --- always the pessimist) is that I'm extremely happy with our purchase of the FR Berk. Now I'm starting to worry that I won't have anything for them to fix at Goshen
That is not a bad thing!! (LOL!!)

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
I do monitor the air pressure with my Tire Monitor. Pressure was good. It seemed like it needed constant correction and not in one direction or another. It's fine on the smoother roads. Just on rough ones, seems to need constant correction in both directions.
Kenny, what is your tire pressures set at?
After weighing, many of us end up with about 100 front and 90 rear.
I noticed a big difference from the 120 that the dealer set them at.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Kenny, what is your tire pressures set at?
After weighing, many of us end up with about 100 front and 90 rear.
I noticed a big difference from the 120 that the dealer set them at.

I have 115 on front and 110 at rear. I will take them all down about 5lbs before next trip.

Speaking of getting it weighed.....
I stopped at Pilot figuring to fill up the tanks and get it weighed. Of course the pump was shut off and I was at the far end, which just about required a water bottle to stay hydrated during the hike to the cashier. And of course, being a Sunday, there was only one cashier. After telling me I had to pay up front and come back to get a refund of any amount I was off, I drove off, making a note to myself never to use them.

I will get it weighed on the next trip, hopefully.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #11
Berkshire 390QS

Kenny,

We have Safe-T on ours and really helps the steering, much firmer and less play while driving. As to the Flying J/Pilot we have their credit card and just swipe and go along with saving 3¢ a gallon, just still have to walk to get reciept. Glad you had a great trip.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

Quote:
I have 115 on front and 110 at rear. I will take them all down about 5lbs before next trip.

Speaking of getting it weighed.....
I stopped at Pilot figuring to fill up the tanks and get it weighed. Of course the pump was shut off and I was at the far end, which just about required a water bottle to stay hydrated during the hike to the cashier. And of course, being a Sunday, there was only one cashier. After telling me I had to pay up front and come back to get a refund of any amount I was off, I drove off, making a note to myself never to use them.

I will get it weighed on the next trip, hopefully.

Thanks.
I use Pilot Flying J all the time get the fuel card save .05 at minimum well worth it. No need to go inside at all.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote