Old 12-04-2015, 09:50 AM   #11

Uuuuuhhhhhhh......if you have electrical power for the trickle charger why not just plug the trailer in...even if it is 20 110v power it will keep the batteries charged.....

My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #12
Fulltime in our Berkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Ken, I believe the Magnum charger will charge the chassis battery after the house batteries are full. While it's charging the Chassis batteries, the AUX switch will glow or flash.
I thought so too. But I have asked folks at Freightliner and FR. Half say yes, and half say no. It may be, but from my experience, I'm not too sure.

I did not put any extra chargers on it last winter and ended up replacing both chassis batteries (1 year old). When I got the new batteries, it didn't take more than a few weeks of sitting to start seeing the low battery warnings and sluggish start ups.

After putting the battery tender on the chassis batteries, no warnings and very crisp start ups.

Just trying to play it safe.

Thanks,
Ken

Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony5555 View Post
Uuuuuhhhhhhh......if you have electrical power for the trickle charger why not just plug the trailer in...even if it is 20 110v power it will keep the batteries charged.....

See message above on what I do.

Thanks,
Ken
Home is Where we park it
Old 12-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
When I got the new batteries, it didn't take more than a few weeks of sitting to start seeing the low battery warnings and sluggish start ups.
Ken
Were you leaving your Chassis battery master switch on so that they could charge?

Just wondering as my 2014 seems to keep all batteries charged while plugged in.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Were you leaving your Chassis battery master switch on so that they could charge?

Just wondering as my 2014 seems to keep all batteries charged while plugged in.
Yes. Last winter I left both master switches on and the shore power plugged in.

Maybe I'm just being over-cautious. Could be that everything that happened was a "Co-Inky-Dink"

Between getting different answers on shore power charging from different folks at both Freightliner and FR, and the low power/sluggish starts while not using the battery tender, I just wanted to play it safe. I was lucky and got the 2-12v batteries replaced under warranty. Next time would be on my dime.

But I will say, that while my original batteries were in there, and I was hooked up to shore power, I tested the chassis batteries with a load tester and after a short while heard the inverter kick on. That tends to make me think shore power will charge the chassis batteries. I sure would like to see the schematics for the wiring (if they even exist).

Thanks,
Ken
Home is Where we park it
Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #16
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Temporary stick a volt meter on the ones you want to know about, after there are depleted a little, and see if voltage rises when converter kicks on..
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Yes. Last winter I left both master switches on and the shore power plugged in.

Maybe I'm just being over-cautious. Could be that everything that happened was a "Co-Inky-Dink"

Between getting different answers on shore power charging from different folks at both Freightliner and FR, and the low power/sluggish starts while not using the battery tender, I just wanted to play it safe. I was lucky and got the 2-12v batteries replaced under warranty. Next time would be on my dime.

But I will say, that while my original batteries were in there, and I was hooked up to shore power, I tested the chassis batteries with a load tester and after a short while heard the inverter kick on. That tends to make me think shore power will charge the chassis batteries. I sure would like to see the schematics for the wiring (if they even exist).

Thanks,
Ken

Kenny
This is the wiring diagram for my 2012 Berk 390-60 BH. I hope it helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1449250319.165684.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	95561
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #18

Thanks guys for all the replies.

I'm grateful for the schematic too (if it's the same). I'm going to file this for future reference.

For now, I'm not looking to change anything. I found what works on mine and I'm going to stick with it. Maybe in the summer I will play around with it and do more testing, but for now I am good.

Retirement is about a month and a half away and I'm hoping to have more time. I've retired once before though, and found that wasn't really the case

I'm just happy everything is working fine on it now and looking forward to our next trip whether it be in January or April.

Thanks again,
ken
Home is Where we park it
Old 12-04-2015, 03:38 PM   #19

Ken, I have four 6 volt battery tenders for the house batteries and two 12 volt tenders for the coach batteries. Seems like a p.i.t.a, but it works well and I have never had an issue.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Ken, I have four 6 volt battery tenders for the house batteries and two 12 volt tenders for the coach batteries. Seems like a p.i.t.a, but it works well and I have never had an issue.

Rich
I just put the 12v tender across both chassis batteries.

Home is Where we park it

Tags
battery