Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #1
Fulltime in our Berkshire
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Maintain Batteries

Does anyone have and use a trickle charger that will maintain a charge (like a battery tender) on both 6 & 12 volts batteries at the same time (if one exists) ?

Thanks,
Ken
__________________

__________________
Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Member
 
boxers-rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chalfont, PA
Posts: 55
Ken,

Did you have any luck finding a dual charger? And do you take your batteries out for the winter?

Rick
__________________

__________________
2015 Berkshire XL 40BH
Toad 2015 Chevy Equinox LTZ V6
boxers-rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Could you join your batts to make 12v?


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
Fulltime in our Berkshire
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
I happened to find a battery tender I had used on my Harley before I sold it.

So I leave the coach plugged in to keep the 6v house batteries charged and throw the master switch for the 12v coach batteries to the off position. I then leave the battery tender on the chassis batteries.

Seems to be working well.

BTW: I do not take them out for the winter. I like to be ready to go out in it and pretend when I have had too much of winter, and whenever those rare "warmer" days appear during the winter.
Thank you for the replies.

Ken
__________________
Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Does anyone have and use a trickle charger that will maintain a charge (like a battery tender) on both 6 & 12 volts batteries at the same time (if one exists) ?

Thanks,
Ken

Your electrical system is all 12 volts.
Just put a charger on.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Fulltime in our Berkshire
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Your electrical system is all 12 volts.
Just put a charger on.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Yea.... I was going to do that, but then I figured I was leaving it plugged in all winter anyway, and the inverter does a good job of keeping the house batteries charged, so I just put the battery tender I found on the chassis batteries.

Thanks for the reply.

Ken
__________________
Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #7
Member
 
boxers-rule's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Chalfont, PA
Posts: 55
My problem is that I park in a yard without the ability to plug in. Since it gets below freezing here in PA and I don't get back to the unit until it warms up in spring, I have to take them out and charge them in the garage at home. At least that's what I did with my old unit. I always used an old trickle charger but with the new rig, I want to buy something that does all charging phases but doesn't break the bank. Kenny, your comment about hooking them up together, both the 12 volt and 6 volt sets, to one charger, had me thinking. It would be a lot simpler than always switching back and forth between the two sets, chassis and house.
__________________
2015 Berkshire XL 40BH
Toad 2015 Chevy Equinox LTZ V6
boxers-rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Yea.... I was going to do that, but then I figured I was leaving it plugged in all winter anyway, and the inverter does a good job of keeping the house batteries charged, so I just put the battery tender I found on the chassis batteries.

Thanks for the reply.

Ken

if you don't have a good battery tender that senses when a battery is charged and shuts off and only charges when the battery voltage drops you can cause more trouble then not using one all together . the older tenders that use a constant charge can and will ruin batteries over time as they sulfate the battery by the constant charge
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,506
Ken, I believe the Magnum charger will charge the chassis battery after the house batteries are full. While it's charging the Chassis batteries, the AUX switch will glow or flash.
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Fulltime in our Berkshire
 
KennyGolub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxers-rule View Post
My problem is that I park in a yard without the ability to plug in. Since it gets below freezing here in PA and I don't get back to the unit until it warms up in spring, I have to take them out and charge them in the garage at home. At least that's what I did with my old unit. I always used an old trickle charger but with the new rig, I want to buy something that does all charging phases but doesn't break the bank. Kenny, your comment about hooking them up together, both the 12 volt and 6 volt sets, to one charger, had me thinking. It would be a lot simpler than always switching back and forth between the two sets, chassis and house.
I don't switch. The house batteries are charged via the shore power plug and the chassis batteries are maintained with the battery tender.

I do disconnect the battery tender for the chassis batteries though on the weekends when home from work because I go in and out of the coach all weekend and the front step works off the chassis batteries, which are shut off at the master switch when on the battery tender.
Forcing myself to do this on weekends makes certain that nothing else is going wrong in the battery compartments and the water levels are good in the chassis batteries. Besides, I like to "fiddle" with it.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ken & Laurie
2015 Berkshire 400QL
2016 Chevy Colorado
Home is Where we park it
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.