Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Max Dash Ac

I have a 2014 Berkshire 390bh 60. When travelling the other day to Key West, FL (I apologize to all who are experiencing effects of this winter) I switched the dash air conditioner from the AC setting to the max AC setting. There was no difference in the fan sound and no noticeable difference in the cooling. Has anyone else had the same experience or am I having a problem with my dash air conditioner?
Thanks

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

tmar, you lucky B#$%@rd!!! I picked up my 2014 400bh-60 on feb 1st In Detroit Michigan and it hasn't been out of the snow yet. I couldn't even tell you what color the paint scheme is on the coach is anymore (it's all white currently) much less if the a/c blows differently on max. I'm not even sure if it has a/c. didn't go over the a/c's during PDI. lolololololol Enjoy the keys!!!!
sold 2014 Berkshire 400BH
sold 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #3

Max a/c on my 2008 Georgetown has no change in fan speed....therefore no appreciable increase in air flow...does not mimic automobile max a/c...unknown why not!
George
ynott96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

My grandparents sold their Newmar Dutch Star which was a diesel pusher a few years back. I can remember though no difference either with the dash A/C. I also believe that the sunlight coming through the large windshield keeps the heat coming in and the air conditioners just can't keep up. Especially in times of warm temperature and sunlight.

I'd ask your dealer though maybe they have some opinions as well in the event nobody else chimes in.

Have fun in Key West, great place, especially to escape the winter if that's what you are doing.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #5

Found on the internet. (Google) for what its worth. Hope it helps...

An air conditioner cools the air, obviously. But, as the air is cooled, the air can hold less moisture. It takes a lot of work for the AC system to remove humidity from the air. When you first turn on the AC it's often a good idea to switch over to "max", since the AC system will pull the humidity out of the air that's inside the vehicle then recirculate the now dryer air until the vehicle cools.*
That's all "MAX" does for you, it recirculates the air inside the vehicle. Once the inside of the vehicle has cooled a little, switch back to normal so that the AC system doesn't build up fungus and start to stink.
RVINSMCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

glenn- sorry that you are in still in the snow (better you than me LOL!) I just don't remember if my '08 Berkshire fan speed increased when on max ac. I seem to remember that it did. Will need to continue to look into the situation.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Ill check it out tomorrow and let you know if I can tell any difference. Enjoy the tropical breezes.
sold 2014 Berkshire 400BH
sold 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #8
Cyclone

My '13 is in storage in the cold north also, but I don't notice any difference in fan speed or noise on MAX vs. normal. As far as I know, the door flap which allows outside air in closes, and that is it. I believe this is done by vacuum that is provided by a compressor and reservoir located in the fuse door on the front left. If you change the selector knob on the dash with the key switch in the run position but the engine, radio and overhead fans off, you should be able to hear the door flap move and the compressor run. In cold weather, I've learned to turn the selector to off or else the door stays open and cold air comes in.

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #9

There is a way to possibly increase the cooling ability of the dash a/c. I haven't tried it yet as I live in the cooler region of our planet. There is a valve located near the engine that allows for coolant to flow from the rear of the coach to the front for the HVAC in the dash. The issue is that when the a/c is on, the hot coolant hose goes into the same heater box therefore lowering the efficency of the a/c. If this valve is closed the coolant won't be hot and the system won't have to overcome a hot heater core to blow the cool a/c through therefore lowering the temp the a/c can now blow. There are two vavles however, one for the flow and one for return. Not sure if both need to be closed or if just closing the flow is good enough.

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #10

There is a vacuum controlled valve in the generator compartment on the heater core lines that operates at the same time as the recirc door. Just trying to save crawling under coach and finding manual valves.
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

I tried this today while we were traveling back home. My dash a/c fan speed increases when it is on Max A/C and feels like it makes the air coming out cooler.