Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM   #1

Mdl GSWH-1m tankless water heater

And the fun continues 600 miles from home and the plastic latch on the WH cover breaks. I have all the pieces but as soon as I pull on the plastic to attempt to turn it the quarter turn to secure it plastic comes off again.
I have 3 days before return trip home to come up with something ingenious to fix it. Option maybe to remove cover so it does not fall off in Kentucky but that has no challenge to it lol.
Anyone experienced similar issues and if so how did you resolve it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1429276677.998202.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	74479
Old 04-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have a toad, and close to a RV dealer or Camping World? Many of them will carry a replacement latch like this, that looks like it would work on your door (but not sure without seeing how it's attached behind the access door). However a metal one could scratch the finish as opposed to plastic, which they may also carry:

Water Heater Door Camlocs, set of 2 - Camco 09213 - Water Heaters - Camping World

If worse comes to worse, you could just insert a nylon bolt (that would fit thru the round hole in the slotted part of the door) in place of the camlock from the backside and use the corresponding nylon nut and washer to secure it till you get home. This video shows how easy it is to remove the camlock.

I'm also pondering if you could use a small keyring in place of the broken plastic handle.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #3

Here is what another member did.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Just checked out the latch on my Gerard and it looks exactly like the Suburban latches that should be available at a local RV supply store if there is one near you. If there is a good hardware store they should have a supply of nylon nuts and bolts, that would lessen any possible paint damage until a proper replacement can be found. Based on your post, I can see an addition to my "spare" parts drawer.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

For sure I am thinking of a basement compartment hardware store lol.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #6

Duct tape lol
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

never thought much about the metal on nice paint. ive seen them with a thick stick on plastic protector. maybe even some good awning tape?
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

My dealer broke the plastic latch when the MH was new. They said the plastic one was a piece of #**# replaced it with a metal one. I am happy with it.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #9

I did the same as Dan nickel showed except that before I install the wing nut. .. I put in a felt washer followed by a small steel washer
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater