Old 04-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Last time this topic was discussed I commented that I used a combination of a vice grip pliers and hammer to squeeze the slot the pin goes in. I was tole that this was not the way to fix the problem but my door has stayed open now for over five years. So maybe not the right way but it only cost me time and it worked.
Silver - I did the same with using a small vise. It improved the door check from not holding at all, to holding it open. The slot that the spring-steel collar slips in, is not supposed to be "U" shaped, but be slightly necked in at the opening. The tip of bracket's opening probably wears.

I'd advise anyone doing this to take the bracket down and very carefully squeeze the Thumb shaped protrusion with a large metal vice. Why I say carefully is that if the Thumb is bent inward too much, you will be throwing away the bracket. With a large metal vise, I would suggest to squeeze the bracket ever so slightly, take out of the vise and check its operation. If still loose, squeeze a little more. By doing this in mini-steps you can avoid over bending and destroying the bracket.

Hank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Check.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	105561  

Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #12

I'm simple

I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the door and hook a bungee on it. Who knew I could have spent so much money on a fancy door holder?

Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 PM   #13

[QUOTE=AREA51;1166351]Has anyone had a problem with the mechanism on the top of the front door? It is a knee type piece that when the door is open the pivot point catches in a slot. This is the second time mine has failed, first time Warren at FR fixed it, this time I am purchasing the whole mechanism from FR at the price of $283.64 plus shipping. (LOCK, ENTRY DOOR CHECK-POS-A-LOCK-USED ON CHARLESTON & BERKSHIRE, PN20X17048A) kind of expensive. So has anyone found an easy repair or workaround?

GOOD LUCK
AREA51[/QUOTE

Is this for a Berkshire or a Charlston? Which year/model do you have?
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:05 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Take some pictures of the part and the failure, I'll take a look. May come up with a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #15

I have a 2008 Berkshire, the replacement part from FR is for either a Charleston or a Berkshire. I did purchase it, however, I also repaired the existing part and will continue to use it until it fails again. Meanwhile I have a very pricey spare in my tool kit.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
Old 04-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #16

AREA51; what method of repair did you use?
Hank
Old 04-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #17

I did not want to squeeze the forks so I found a piece of tubing (part of a nipple) put a kerf in it and spread it enough to put around the pin and squeezed it back. It seems to work well enough for now. I was going to grind/cut off the bottom of the pin slide a piece of tube over it and tap the pin for a #4 screw and use a flat washer to hold all in place. Way to much work especially since I bought the replacement. It is a poor design, that bushing (or what ever it is called) should be easily replaceable.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
Old 04-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA51 View Post
It is a poor design, that bushing (or what ever it is called) should be easily replaceable.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
X2 - Also that bushing is tempered and very easy to break
Hank
Old 04-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #19

Well AREA51 I am glad you were able to fix it (and have a spare). Hopefully your fix will work for a long time and the spare will just be really expensive insurance.

RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door