Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Minor problems

Well finely got the new MH on the road. We bought a new Berkshire 2011 390rb and so far all 46 miles to Muskegon state park have been great.
Two questions
1 the dead bolt will not lock. I tried it on jacks and off it just won't line up. I plan on looking at it in the morning but if someone has some experience with the lock let me know.
2 The drivers window rattles and has loud wind noise at speeds above 50 MPH. I pulled over and removed the screen and checked everything I could think of but no luck. It seems to be coming from the top front part of the window. If I hold pressure on the top it helps but not able to fiddle with it and drive.
Any help would be great.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #2

I have the same model and year and just bought it new last month. I have almost the same minor issues. Our deadbolt locks but is very difficult to lock and unlock. Doing so causes the whole lock housing to move a bit and exposes the unpainted fiberglass around the door latch on the outside of the door. As for the drivers window rattle I have considered wedging some weatherstripping which might stop it but may make it a pain to open quickly for tolls, etc. I too would welcome any suggestions.
Thanks!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

I had the same problem with our driver window. The dealer called Forrest river and they were aware of the problem and sent a repair kit. The dealer changed the glass and gaskets. It's been great since. In the mean time I would take a paper plate tear a small price off and put in in the gap at the top and bottom of the moveable window. That fixed it while I was waiting for the repair. Hope it helps.
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Thanks for the info about the window. I will call them to get the parts ordered. Now if you can make the sun come out and add 10 or 15 degrees it would be perfect.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

I had the same window problem. My dealer replaced the window with kit from Forest River ( a big job, apparently ) and now it works great! I only occasionally get a small whistling type of wind noise, but it is far quieter than before and I don't have to drive with one hand on the window and one on the wheel!!!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

The dealer called Forest River and they did get the same info bad driver side windows on some 2011 Berkshires. They ordered the part and should be about two weeks.
Thanks for the info it's nice to be well informed when calling the dealer.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

Thank you from me as well for the info. I contacted my dealer and they have window parts on the way and should be in time for a visit I already had scheduled with them for next week. Has anyone had some advice on the tough to use deadblot lock/moving or loose lock mechanism on the door?
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Well finely got the new MH on the road. We bought a new Berkshire 2011 390rb and so far all 46 miles to Muskegon state park have been great.
Two questions
1 the dead bolt will not lock. I tried it on jacks and off it just won't line up. I plan on looking at it in the morning but if someone has some experience with the lock let me know.
2 The drivers window rattles and has loud wind noise at speeds above 50 MPH. I pulled over and removed the screen and checked everything I could think of but no luck. It seems to be coming from the top front part of the window. If I hold pressure on the top it helps but not able to fiddle with it and drive.
Any help would be great.
Phil's question

I have the same problem with mine but it may not ne a problem.
I checked others with similiar locks/dead bolts and they lock and unlock perfectly correct from outside.
When inside only one will latch and the other won't.
I was told that this is some safety exit issue to make it easier to get out.
I have not taken my lock apart but interested to hear what others say.
Oh I have a Georgetown.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #9

I took a file and worked on the bolt part of the lock. 5 minutes and had it cleaned up and working fine. There wasn't enough adjustment to make it work.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Mine would not work from inside or out. I like to have both locked I sleep better.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #11

I did take some rubber scraps I had and from the outside pushed them into the space between the window and the frame. It worked as a temp fix. On the highway today it was much quieter.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #12

This is what mine looks like. I plan on calling TriMark Monday

United States
  • TriMark Corporation

500 Bailey Avenue
    PO Box 350
    New Hampton, IA 50659

Toll Free: 1-800-447-0343
    Phone: 1-641-394-3188
    Fax: 1-641-394-2392

• TriMark Service & Replacement Parts
    510 Bailey Avenue
    PO Box 350
    New Hampton, IA 50659 Toll Free: 1-800-431-8616
    Fax: 1-641-394-1515
    Email:trimarkparts@trimarkcorp.com
I also attached a publication on this lock if anyone wants it.

I have also have a picture of the inside of the lock and the particular deadbolt arm that won't work. See red circle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	14969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	14972  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 060-0650_tech_pub.pdf (126.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #13

My deadbolt requires some amount of closing force in order for it to engage but holds tightly afterward. The screen door has required adjustment a couple of times as it ends up causing difficulty opening the combined door - it catches the latch on doorframe when the latch is in a fixed position (attached to the main door) and the result is difficult (sometimes very difficult) opening of the door.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

When inside only one will latch and the other won't.
I was told that this is some safety exit issue to make it easier to get out.
I have not taken my lock apart but interested to hear what others say.
Oh I have a Georgetown.
I haven't heard that they work that way for safety reasons, if they dealer said that i think he might be pulling your leg and traying to get out of adjusting things. Far as I know they should both lock from inside or out.

Mine both do and i have a Georgetown as well.
georgetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #15

We have a 2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40 our deadbolt wouldn't latch. I found the second latch wasn't catching so the door was slightly ajar. We are currently at LazyDays in Tucson.they fixed the door(the pin in the frame has to float) now the deadbolt latches and the latch catches the second click. The top window of our drivers window was missing half of the rubber retainer so they are replacing the window assembly it should be in next week. We will have been here a month waiting.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #16

I agree with Georgetown they should both work. When I looked at mine there was not enough adjustment in the latch to make it work. The screw holes would have to be moved and that would not work. A file to remove just enough material from the bolt and mine works smooth and easy. Because you file from the back of the bolt you can't see it. Be careful not to scratch the painted sides.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #17

Thank everyone. Seems that hisis a common problems for the deadbolt not to latch. I will take apart and check to see if a little filing will help.
It will work perfectly from the outside and the key so I imagion I may need to force it inside the first time or file a little. Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #18

The deadbolt on our 2011 Georgetown would not engage from either side when new. The dealer adjusted it, and its been perfect ever since.
ohiobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

malewis49

my drivers side window would not open and did make some noise due too the plastic lock ,replaced them with metal problem solved
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote