Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

Mirror help

On our second trip, about 55-60 mph, my passenger side mirror moved outward at the ball joint. I stopped and pushed it back. It did it again about 30 miles later. It was gusty at the time. Is there a method/way to tighten the ball joint? It's really unnerving to lose your view on one entire side. Really thankful for the cameras.

JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Post a picture and someone might be able to assist you.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

There is a fitting for an Allen wrench.... Also one to move the mirror itself.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #4

[QUOTE="JJvike"]On our second trip, about 55-60 mph, my passenger side mirror moved outward at the ball joint. I stopped and pushed it back. It did it again about 30 miles later. It was gusty at the time. Is there a method/way to tighten the ball joint? It's really unnerving to lose your view on one entire side. Really thankful for the cameras.

JJ[%2
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

[QUOTE="JJvike"]On our second trip, about 55-60 mph, my passenger side mirror moved outward at the ball joint. I stopped and pushed it back. It did it again about 30 mil
Old 07-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
On our second trip, about 55-60 mph, my passenger side mirror moved outward at the ball joint. I stopped and pushed it back. It did it again about 30 miles later. It was gusty at the time. Is there a method/way to tighten the ball joint? It's really unnerving to lose your view on one entire side. Really thankful for the cameras.

JJ
Did you try to tighten the bolts on the top of each ball with a socket wrench. That is how mine is configured
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #7

Connection problems earlier. If the mirrors are Velvac there are 3 allen screws on the bottom. Both of mine were loose and flopping on a turnpike at 60 mph first trip. Like you no fun at all, you gotta learn quick.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies. Daybreak tomorrow I will be out trying to find those screws, or bolts.

JJ
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #9

There are caps that cover the hex head allen screws that you can screw off with a screw driver. This will reveal the hex head screws that you can tighten with an allen wrench.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

Mirror Fix

1. I had the same problem with my 390RB. I had loosened the hex bolt at the top of each mirror arm with a ratchet wrench to readjust the mirror shell angle, since I had run out of adjustment with the electric motor on the console switch. I didn't get the hex bolt tight enough after I completed the adjustment, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to loosen the cone mechanism on a subsequent readjustment, and at 60 mph the mirror moved out of position.

2. The key to getting the mirror to unstick from its present position after loosening the hex bolt on top is to just grasp the mirror shell by the sides at the bottom and try to move it until it unsticks.

3. Then tighten it a little more the next time. There is an internal cone mechanism that can be overtightened with the hexhead bolt, so don't go too far.

4. If it still moves out of position at speed, repeat 2 and 3, above. Try not to overtighten, per 1 and 3, above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Berkshire 390 Mirror_resized_1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	35566  
Hallen01 is offline   Reply With Quote