Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #1

Moab UT Campgrounds

Any Berkshire owners with recommendations for campgrounds in Moab, UT?

2015 Berkshire XL 40 QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Bunci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

We stayed at the KOA in Moab. Sites were a little unlevel but manageable. Only CG that we were ever in that charged us when we arrived 1hour early than there 2 PM check in time. The charge was only $10 but it still annoyed us. The KOA is on the far end of town and about 15 minutes drive to the entrance of Arches.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

we stayed at Canyonlands Resort last month. Was nice, clean and level parking.
2008 American Eagle 45H (Sold)
skyking650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #4

Thanks! I was looking at Canyonlands but had read some reviews about it being too tight for big rigs.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Hi,

For folk who don't need a lot of amenities, there are BLM campsites along the Colorado River upstream from Moab. And plenty of sunlight for solar panels if you have them.

FWIW

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

7 days till we leave for Moab!
I have reservations at the KOA.
I'll have to remember that...
The BLM campsites along the river are first come first served... I hear they fill up quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #7

Hi,

For ten years, I was a long term volunteer river ranger on the Colorado Riiver near Moab. It's true that the developed river sites are hot properties. But in addition, BLM has other campgrounds at places that are a bit more remote, like the Westwater Ranger Station and Wind Whistle.

Also, there are vast at-large camping areas elsewhere on other BLM lands and near the entrance to the Needles district of Canyonlands -- to the south of Moab. Great boondocking potential, if you are into that.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Old 07-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #8

I just booked into the KOA. Canyonland and several other parks were already full for September. Let me know how it is and have a wonderful trip next week!

2015 Berkshire XL 40 QL-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 AM   #9

Last year we stayed in Green River, UT off of RT 70, at the KOA there. This was more centrally located for us as we drove to several different areas in UT. What I liked about this KOA, was that the sites were large for a KOA, campground was clean, the owners where on site and not as crowed as the campgrounds in Moab where. We stayed there in Sept,2016 for $47.00 a night which included tax.. This was about an hour drive away from Moab, UT and the Goblin State park along with Dead horse state park.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

For folk who don't need a lot of amenities, there are BLM campsites along the Colorado River upstream from Moab. And plenty of sunlight for solar panels if you have them.

FWIW

Rich Phillips
I have seen those and if we ever go back, that is where we will stay.
Hermes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

For ten years, I was a long term volunteer river ranger on the Colorado Riiver near Moab. It's true that the developed river sites are hot properties. But in addition, BLM has other campgrounds at places that are a bit more remote, like the Westwater Ranger Station and Wind Whistle.

Also, there are vast at-large camping areas elsewhere on other BLM lands and near the entrance to the Needles district of Canyonlands -- to the south of Moab. Great boondocking potential, if you are into that.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
When did you work there? I might know you!

Here is a good list of all Moab Field office campgrounds...
http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/bl...dsMoabArea.pdf

Some on Kane Creek can be difficult to access with long trailers and part is a dirt road. River road gets very hot during the summer months due to the canyon walls, but usually cools down at night.

For arches, canyonlands district area, there is a lot of dispersed camping areas (north of Moab), some is on SITLA lands (School trust).

This map shows most of the dispersed camping in the Moab Field office area..
Note some areas where you can disperse camp (the hashed area on the map) require camping in designated spots only. And they are starting o require toilets in many areas due to the billion cat holes that have been dug.

And Windwhistle is one of my favorite campgrounds. (Actually hatch point is nicer but it not friendly to long trailers). Windwhistle stays cooler than Moab area; higher elevation, and nice breezes.
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Hi f5,

From 2001 through 2010, I worked at Westwater pretty much every Spring and Fall, helping open and close the station. (In those days, only one real ranger was on the payroll early and late in the season.)

While I made an occasional run into the Moab Field Office, for supplies and equipment or to drop off paperwork or water samples, most of my time was spent on the river.

Have a good one.

Rich
Old 07-23-2016, 10:25 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunci View Post
Any Berkshire owners with recommendations for campgrounds in Moab, UT?

I stayed in Moab back in October, but I'm a 5th wheel owner, so take it for what it's worth.

We stayed at Archview RV campground and had motorhomes on either side of us at different times during our stay.

Beautiful place. If love to go back and boondock.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 AM   #14

We, too, stayed at Canyonlands RV Resort for a week in mid-July with our 36' TT. We are about 14' wide with all slides out. Space was tight, but manageable. We liked the central location, and the shady sites provided relief from the heat. A serious electrical issue during our visit was addressed and repaired within 4-5 hours. The owner and his staff were most gracious about the incident and worked hard to minimize the inconvenience. We would return to Canyonlands if we visit Moab in the future.
Air Lift AirCells, Blue Ox BX1500
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #15

We stayed at Portal Campground a few years back. There is a Campground and there is a "Resort". We stayed at the Campground and snuck into the resort to use the swimming pool.

Nice place.

Portal RV Resort | Adventure Begins Here

Tags
mpg