Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #41

Russell,
Was your coach drive-able while it was doing the regen? Also, did you drive it on many short trips prior to storing your coach?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:27 PM   #42

I don't believe that the controller will allow a manual regen unless needed. Regen is done through injecting fuel on the exhaust stroke, allowing raw unburned fuel to get to the Diesel particulate filter and "burn" off soot deposits. Your call on doing a manual regen, however I would prefer to let it be done automatically while driving and not allow heat buildup in one location.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #43

Motor shuts off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Russell,
Was your coach drive-able while it was doing the regen? Also, did you drive it on many short trips prior to storing your coach?

When we did the manual regen it was hooked to the scanner. So it was stationary in my drive on concrete.

No short trips ever. It came in from Florida March 23. Been in the barn since. 75 mph all 1200 mile home. Has never been babied.

So it should of been ok.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #44

That is bizarre. Are you the first owner of the coach? If not, then maybe the previous owner drove on some short trips and it just now needed to do a regen because it detected the DPF was full of soot.
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #45

Motor shuts off

12,000 miles on it. And I put every mile on it.

So I'm saying we all better learn how to do a manual regen !!

Russell
Old 05-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #46

Good idea Russell I agree!! You might be the first one to let us know if it works or not by unplugging and plugging in the white toggle plug under the steering column! Let us know if it works when you do try this the next time you do a manual regen.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #47

Let me add something else: On my pick up on a regular basis I see a notice come on the dash--says "cleaning exhaust filter"

The Freighliner owner manual says that when the cummins motor does a regen it will show a symbol on the dash- some kind of Squigley lines. I have never saw that symbol show up on the dash. Not to say I didn't miss it ???

Russell
Old 06-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #48

Russell,
If it did a regen while driving, believe me, you will notice the icon. It really worried me when I saw the symbol appear. That's when I had my wife get the manual and look it up and it stated that was the regen symbol. It stayed on for quite a while so you would probably see it eventually.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #49

Russell, I guess my question is this- based on how I believe the system is supposed to work and your driving habits, you should never have to do a manual regen. Did the person you had come over with the scanner notice any other diagnostic codes? Are you planning on having it checked out?
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #50

I think mine might have done a regen on the way to Chama. the Jeep had spots of diesel all over the front and fuel milage was terrible. I didn't see a light though.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #51

I was curious so I went out to my coach and checked for the white cord under the steering column and there was the cord right there! It even is labeled regen on it! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1464795885.332929.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	109778
Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #52

Accumack- I believe mine went into an auto regen as well when I was on the highway. It had a pretty bad burning smell like soot was being burned off however all gauges were running normal and no warning light that regen was in process. When I got off the highway and slowed down to under 5 mph the coach illuminated the hot exhaust lamp on the dash, it then immediately turned off once I started driving again and the smell was gone after that.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #53

Keep the thoughts coming folks. Anne-Marie and I are going to Camp Freightliner next week and you are giving me a nice list of questions to ask!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoxDad View Post
That is bizarre. Are you the first owner of the coach? If not, then maybe the previous owner drove on some short trips and it just now needed to do a regen because it detected the DPF was full of soot.
What would you define as "Short Trips?"
Old 06-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #55

The Freightliner rv chassis manual has some good info. References 1.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7. These do a great job in explaining what we need to know.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #56

Bob- I would define short trips as under 100 miles of going thru roads and towns where you have to stop at intersections and in traffic frequently. Driving at highway speeds with the engine at ideal temp, soot should not accumulate on the DPF and should not cause a problem for the engine to go into regen.

However I'm not sure that it is always true, based on what has happened to Russell where he has driven all miles on his coach and no short trips and he needed to do a parked regen makes me wonder if there is other things that cause the need for a regen.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsailor View Post
Russell, I guess my question is this- based on how I believe the system is supposed to work and your driving habits, you should never have to do a manual regen. Did the person you had come over with the scanner notice any other diagnostic codes? Are you planning on having it checked out?

Yes there were other codes. I think 5 maybe 4 in all. Just the one was red. The others were old. I have no reason to take it to anyone else. My mechanic good enough for me. He cleared all codes.

I just stopped at a rest area. Been 200 miles no issues.

Russell
Old 06-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoxDad View Post
Bob- I would define short trips as under 100 miles of going thru roads and towns where you have to stop at intersections and in traffic frequently. Driving at highway speeds with the engine at ideal temp, soot should not accumulate on the DPF and should not cause a problem for the engine to go into regen.

However I'm not sure that it is always true, based on what has happened to Russell where he has driven all miles on his coach and no short trips and he needed to do a parked regen makes me wonder if there is other things that cause the need for a regen.
Thanks John.

Yet another question to ask at Camp Freightliner next week
Old 06-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Yes there were other codes. I think 5 maybe 4 in all. Just the one was red. The others were old. I have no reason to take it to anyone else. My mechanic good enough for me. He cleared all codes.

I just stopped at a rest area. Been 200 miles no issues.

Russell
Good to hear things are going well Russell. I wasn't trying to say anything bad about your mechanic, just trying to figure out if what happened with your coach is "normal" and something we can all expect at some point. -Glenn
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #60

Ya. I understand--no lights tell me I'm good. Lol

Russell