Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Keep the thoughts coming folks. Anne-Marie and I are going to Camp Freightliner next week and you are giving me a nice list of questions to ask!!

Bob ask them how we are supposed to change fuel water separator on 2014 and new chassis when separator is lower than tank.

Wayne
Old 06-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
When we did the manual regen it was hooked to the scanner. So it was stationary in my drive on concrete.

No short trips ever. It came in from Florida March 23. Been in the barn since. 75 mph all 1200 mile home. Has never been babied.

So it should of been ok.

Russell

I don't know enough about this to know if this is a stupid question. Could small critters have tried to store seeds in the exhaust? They are very capable of getting in very small places. That could have tricked the sensor to thinking it needed a regen. ???

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #63

Motor shuts off

Well Phil. That might happen?? But not in my barn. Nothing bigger than a spider live long in there. I keep plenty of rat poison in there.

There are 3 maybe 4 sensors one of them had too high of a reading according to the scanner. The sensor was reading high and the coach had been setting for 3 hours. So it was in some way stuck. Could not of been hot. Scanner said to do a regen and it should then allow you to clear the red code. That what we did and were able to clear. My mechanic says that if it does it again. He thinks I can do a manual regen and the coach will go on. Then at some point hook back to a scanner and clear codes. The other codes that were there were not causing issues. Just dormant but still there.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #64

Quote:
Well Phil. That might happen?? But not in my barn. Nothing bigger than a spider live long in there. I keep plenty of rat poison in there.

There are 3 maybe 4 sensors one of them had too high of a reading according to the scanner. The sensor was reading high and the coach had been setting for 3 hours. So it was in some way stuck. Could not of been hot. Scanner said to do a regen and it should then allow you to clear the red code. That what we did and were able to clear. My mechanic says that if it does it again. He thinks I can do a manual regen and the coach will go on. Then at some point hook back to a scanner and clear codes. The other codes that were there were not causing issues. Just dormant but still there.

Russell

On your last trip was the engine using the normal amount of def fluid? I am curious as the usage of def would indicate a normal regen during driving. I wonder if something failed and it clogged up. Under normal driving it should not need the manual regen. I am curious of more details. Knock on wood- I have about 50k on mine and haven't needed a manual regen. I hope I never do...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #65

Ok I'll just ask - what's a regen???

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #66

Basically where the computer dumps extra fuel into the exhaust filter to super heat it and burn all the carbon out of the filter.

Russell
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
On your last trip was the engine using the normal amount of def fluid? I am curious as the usage of def would indicate a normal regen during driving. I wonder if something failed and it clogged up. Under normal driving it should not need the manual regen. I am curious of more details. Knock on wood- I have about 50k on mine and haven't needed a manual regen. I hope I never do...

I have notice nothing different on usage.

Russell
Old 06-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #68

Diesel exhaust fluid is not used for regeneration, it is used to lower oxides of nitrogen emissions created by lean mixtures used to lower soot production during combustion. Diesel particulate filters catch exhaust soot to be reduced by regeneration. From Wikipedia, DPF filters go through a regeneration process which removes this soot and lowers the filter pressure. There are three types of regeneration: active, passive, and forced. Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is not in use and takes 10 minutes on average to complete. Passive regeneration takes place while driving using the heat of the exhaust. This works well for vehicles that drive longer distances with few stops compared to those that perform short trips with many starts and stops. If the filter develops too much pressure then the last type of regeneration must be used - a forced regeneration. This involves a garage using a computer program to run the car, initiating a regeneration of the DPF manually.
They also discuss "runaway" regeneration, where regen gets too hot, causing damage.
From a little research on DEF and DPFs, I haven't found a good reason for needing a manual regen, especially after A 1200 mile run at hiway speed, the DPF should have been clean.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:27 AM   #69

I agree I can't find a good reason for needing a manual regen either with all highway driving with that amount of miles, it doesn't make sense as to why it would cause the DPF to require a manual regen.
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
Bob ask them how we are supposed to change fuel water separator on 2014 and new chassis when separator is lower than tank.
Wayne,

I remember that thread! Didn't someone mention they relocated the separator in the 2016 chassis?

(Copied your question verbatim though and will ask!)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #71

...And in addition, I am going to suggest to the techs that they read this thread and maybe provide some answers to the questions posed on Regen!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Ok I'll just ask - what's a regen???

Quote:
Basically where the computer dumps extra fuel into the exhaust filter to super heat it and burn all the carbon out of the filter.

Russell
Ernest,

And the type of regen Russell had to do (Manual) HAS to be done on gravel or concrete NEVER on Asphalt - the exhaust temps during regen are on the order of 1,500° F, so I would not have anything near the rear of the coach either!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #73

Bob when they went back to the side mounted radiator they located the filters on the back. That location is higher than the tank. I can't remember if that is only for tag or all. FL told me when I inquired about it after losing 2-1/2 gals of diesel to be quick or install a shutoff in the line from the tank. But when I asked for recommendations on valve and location they said they couldn't because they don't supply one.

Wayne
Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #74

Wayne,
The filters in the back are only on the rear radiator XLT. I wish they had the filters located in the back on all models.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #75

Well, looks like I am in luck!

I'll still see what the tech has to say about solutions for you guys.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
Diesel exhaust fluid is not used for regeneration, it is used to lower oxides of nitrogen emissions created by lean mixtures used to lower soot production during combustion. Diesel particulate filters catch exhaust soot to be reduced by regeneration. From Wikipedia, DPF filters go through a regeneration process which removes this soot and lowers the filter pressure. There are three types of regeneration: active, passive, and forced. Active regeneration happens while the vehicle is not in use and takes 10 minutes on average to complete. Passive regeneration takes place while driving using the heat of the exhaust. This works well for vehicles that drive longer distances with few stops compared to those that perform short trips with many starts and stops. If the filter develops too much pressure then the last type of regeneration must be used - a forced regeneration. This involves a garage using a computer program to run the car, initiating a regeneration of the DPF manually.
They also discuss "runaway" regeneration, where regen gets too hot, causing damage.
From a little research on DEF and DPFs, I haven't found a good reason for needing a manual regen, especially after A 1200 mile run at hiway speed, the DPF should have been clean.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

The reason for the manual regen was because the code could not be reset without one. I had other codes that were showing. The scanner was able to clear those. The particulate filter code was Red and said that a manual regen needed to be done then attempt to clear it.

After we did the the manual regen the scanner was able to clear it out and the coach is running fine now??

I too very much agree that just 6 mile after the coach had made a 1200 mile trip with no issues this should of not happened!! But the scanner told us what to do and that fixed it!! I'm betting I'll see it happen again. My mechanic & I feel that one sensor is probably going to need replaced.

Russell
Old 06-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #77

Quote:
I have a 2014 Berkshire. With the 360 motor 3000 transmission

Has been in the barn for 60day. Before going into the barn we drove it home from Florida. No issues.

Today I got it out of barn. Went 6 mile and check engine light come on. Then computer says shut off motor. I had pulled into parking lot and Motor was at idle. It shut down on its own.

All gauges are fine- no high temp, water level about 1" below cap. Oil pressure good. Oil full. No high temps??

I made it back home but computer will shut engine off after running maybe 3 minutes.

No one open today but I do have a friend coming to hook it to scanner to maybe read something.

Anyone had this issue.

Thanks.

Russell
I was getting multiple error codes from the DEF unit, which would de-rate the engine on the road, so had Cummins check the engine. If you have not had your engine control unit software updated to the latest version, I would suggest doing that - have not had a single error since the update.
jccrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #78

Motor shuts off

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccrowe View Post
I was getting multiple error codes from the DEF unit, which would de-rate the engine on the road, so had Cummins check the engine. If you have not had your engine control unit software updated to the latest version, I would suggest doing that - have not had a single error since the update.

Good info. I will see if I have another issue.

You say derated on yours?? Mine was a complete shut down. How does a derate work. I thought that where computer took some of your power away and you limp along?

And what motor do you have.?? Year & size ??

And welcome to the forum.

Russell
Old 06-02-2016, 09:04 PM   #79

Quote:
Good info. I will see if I have another issue.

You say derated on yours?? Mine was a complete shut down. How does a derate work. I thought that where computer took some of your power away and you limp along?

And what motor do you have.?? Year & size ??

And welcome to the forum.

Russell
Hi Russell - we have a 2014 Berkshire 400QL purchased new. When the engine de-rates it feels just like turning cruise control off at speed; a sudden drop in speed and power. The ECU is reacting to an error code, and de-rating power to protect the engine. Depending on the code (or multiple codes), it can result in a complete shutdown.

Any electrical issues? Like flickering dashboard lights? On one occasion, we had a loose wire on a 12V chassis relay that shut down the engine intermittently, on another, we discovered one of the engine battery positive leads was not swaged properly, and was intermittently shutting down the 12v system, causing the engine to shut down or not start...

just some things to check. Make sure all house and chassis hot and ground leads bow to stern are tight!
jccrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:07 PM   #80

Motor shuts off

Right. Those problems are not what I had. Mine was definitely due to the particulate filter. As per the scanner. No derate on mine just a total shut down. Then would run for 45 seconds or so then shut down again.

Russell