Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

My onboard computer shows the actual temperature, I don't rely on the gauge on the dash.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
unless you have actual gauges, you have no idea what your real coolant temp was. The idiot gauges on the dash are designed to only read normal and time to go the dealer.

For less than 20 bucks you pick up a bluetooth dongle that will read your factory inputs on your smart phone, tablet etc and you will know the real numbers. Then you can make educated choices about how hot is too hot.

For example, on our trip to Colorado last year, towing Monarch pass with my trailer (around 9200lbs) my truck frequently hit 220 coolant temp. the aux fan would kick in and drop it to 216, then cut off. Those temps are nothing to worry about. I never got over 225 in 104 degree heat on I-70 coming back across Kansas either. I also pay attention to my engine oil temp, and transmission temp too.
The Berkshires have the ability to pull up the digital readout on the Freightliner screen in addition to the actual gauges. I always set one of my preferences to have engine temp showing along with trans temp

speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post

The Berkshires have the ability to pull up the digital readout on the Freightliner screen in addition to the actual gauges. I always set one of my preferences to have engine temp showing along with trans temp
I agree with everyone else. I have never had a problem and been over many mountain passes. I will add -- I clean the radiator every few months. I spray a good cleaner degreaser let it sit a few minutes and spray with the hose to get it as clean as possible. It's amazing how much dirt / grease comes out. Good overall maintenance.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post
. Mountain driving is probably my favorite thing to do. Traversing all of those switchbacks is exhilirating! Here is a picture of one of my favorite trips (Chief Joseph Highway). Good luck to you.
Have you been thru Salt River Canyon between Show Low and Globe AZ?? Or Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray, CO? Two of my favorites.

And where is a 10% in MT? I'm in Whitefish right now and if there's a good one nearby I'll find it!!

Boowho??
Old 08-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #15

As we were entering Jackson, WY we passed a sign pointing out a side road up ahead "Dead Man's Gulch" 19% grade Drive with Care"... Are you serious!!!!! 19%!!!! Like I'm going there......
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Have you been thru Salt River Canyon between Show Low and Globe AZ?? Or Red Mountain Pass between Silverton and Ouray, CO? Two of my favorites.

And where is a 10% in MT? I'm in Whitefish right now and if there's a good one nearby I'll find it!!

Boowho??
Have not been to either one of those. Thanks for giving me some bed time research tonight.

The 10% is in WY. The Medicine Wheel Passage just outside of Lovell.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMovies View Post

Have not been to either one of those. Thanks for giving me some bed time research tonight.

The 10% is in WY. The Medicine Wheel Passage just outside of Lovell.
With regard to previous conversations about Bluetooth transmitted engine information, can anyone give me more information. I have a 2012 Berk and was not aware that such data was transmitted.

I-RV
Old 08-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
Experienced Newbie

I have the Torque app for my Android phone and a bluetooth adapt that will fit any OBD2 (generally 1996 and newer) vehicle.

Bought the adapter from Amazon for $25 and the app is only a few dollars

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
daydreaming about camping

elm327 obdII

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Who knew????

Anyone with the FL computer already on board (Class A Diesels) think this is worth having in addition to the FL in-dash device??

It's cheap enough, but I'm not one to buy such a gadget, just for the sake of hiving it. I already buy too many things that I don't need just because they're cool!!!

Boowho??

Tags
mount