I'd like to start a thread on a project that I'd like to do, but which might spin out over a year or two.
My Berkshire 34QS has hot and cold water manifolds on the left side of the coach in front of the rear wheels. The hot water supply is in the right rear of the coach and many of the things that use hot water are closer to the heater than they are to the manifold. And, a trip from the heater to the manifold and back to the sink or shower or washing machine causes me to waste a lot of water before the hot water shows up.
There is a nice little kick panel below the washing machine in the bedroom that is just inside of the water heater. I think that is a natural place for hot water manifold. So, I'm thinking of moving to a manifold in that location, taking several steps that allow me to live with a partially complete job.
1. Build a manifold with stubs to go to the original hot water manifold, washer, kitchen sink, bathroom sink and shower. I'd like to use nice ball-type valves made of metal rather than the current plastic.
2. Cut the hot water line between the hot water heater and the existing manifold to insert my current manifold. Serve hot water to the existing manifold from the appropriate stub on my new manifold.
3. Connect the washer directly to the new manifold.
4. Block the washing machine line from the old manifold so that it doesn't leak all over the MH.
5. Over the ensuing months and years, find a suitable route for pipes from the new manifold to the remaining taps. My highest priority is for the shower. And, to keep hot water in the line, I might connect the bathroom sink off of this line with a shutoff behind the shower for these two lines.
So, I welcome constructive comments on this plan. Here are some questions that come to my mind:
- What kind of supply pipes are in my MH now? I assume it is PEX, even though it is a little bit different from the PEX in my house, which uses circular copper rings for crimping. The MH seems to use a side crimp setup that might work better in cramped places.
- Would this likely void my warranty on some part of the MH?
- Is there anything really dumb about my idea?
- Is there any refinement that someone can suggest?
Thanks, in advance, for all your advice. I've had a lot of good help from this forum since I picked up my Berkshire last week.