Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 PM   #1

Wink My first MH is a Brkshire 390bh

I am trading my avalanche and TT in for a new Berkshire 390bh from Albany RV. The unit is due to arrive next week. I will probably have so many questions because this is all new to me. Listening to the feedback of others I wanted to try to get it right the 1st time. Any feedback, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreaciated.
New Berkshire member-Debbie!
Dbt803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

Congrats on the new coach!
I have a TT so I can't give you any advice about your coach, but there are alot of good people on here that can.

Good luck and happy camping!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #3

WOW! That's quite a step up. Hope you have fun learning how everything works. Enjoy the new rig and post pictures when you can.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #4
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Debbie, we are going to have to get a Berkshire get together going here for those of us in NY with the Berks! Congrats on the coach. We'll continue to compare notes.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

kool
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Debbie congrats on the new coach. Hope it gives years of enjoyment. Any questions you have there's plenty of knowledgeable people here.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #7

Debbie,
Congrats on your new Berkshire. I have had mine for 2 years so if you have some specific questions when you get yours, I will try to help you the best that I can.
Good luck and post some pics when you get your new rig.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #8

Debbie,
Congrats on the new rig! What color scheme did you choose?
Matt
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #9

I didn't have much choice. I took a unit that was in production. It just came in today and I will pick it up on Thursday. The outside is midnight pearl and the inside is dark cherry with the light furniture. I am a little leary of the air brakes and the transmission being on the side but I am very excited to learn and travel. I will post pictures when I pick it up. I look forward to meeting other Berkshire owners!
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #10

Wow congrats on the new Berksire coach you must be very excited good luck Debbie
Old 06-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #11

Congrats on your new addition. I know it can be a little intimidating trying to figure out the unknowns, but that is part of the journey. Enjoy the new coach.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #12

Hello everybody. I picked up my rig this past Thursday and all I can say is WOW!!!
My interior is exactly the same as wnytaxman and the outside is "midnight pearl" black, gray and some white. I had the safe-t plus added and the drive was great only a few times did the rig move with trucks passing. I have a lot to learn with all the gauges.
Thank you all for you advice and suggestions. I chose the biggest and the best and I feel I got the most bang for my buck. The dealer had the hard sell for the extended warranty which I declined and I am now filling out the warranty cards and getting the extended warranty from the companies that offer them.
Our driveway is on a slope and the rig takes up the whole driveway. We were lucky to find a storage facility 30 minutes away that has under cover and electric.
I am very excited to travel with my home on wheels!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:40 PM   #13

Debbie,

I'm getting ready to trade in my Tundra and 2010 Keystone Cougar TT for the exact same Berkshire you just bought! I say that, but I guess I'm still undecided.

Small world.

Can I ask you what they sold you the Berkshire for?

I just went through and read your other post. I'm kinda jealous.

Good luck and be safe in your adventures.
iflyskyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #14

My first was/is the Georgetown 370. Whole family LOVES it! Guy at the dealer thought I was a little nuts.. We never owed a camper / trailer before. (Had been camping with others)

You made a wise choice. I looked at the Berkshire's, but it was a little out of my price range (didn't trade anything) and the 370 was exactly the floor plan that my wife wanted.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #15

Hi and belated Happy 4th.
I just returned from my 1st trip and I had a great time. Travelling in a MH is the way to go. I still have to learn about the engine brake (I was afraid to press it) going down the mountains of NC but I was able to cover the brakes and learn to coast a lot.
My husband knocked off the flap coming out of a restaurant and last night stopping for gas our entry step started going crazy and making a lot of noise and not retracting.
I live 2hours from Albany RV and i called their service dept and left a message and they still haven't called back. I called Forest River and they stated it had to be a dealer to do the work- calling Coach-net they found Campers barn in Kingston (only 1hour away ) to do the warranty work. Has anyone had experience w/them? Also do you think I can wait for the work or drop off. I'll ask when I make an appt. I also need them to check the vents for the front ac-it did not seem as cool in the front as the back-maybe the shades were up when we were driving.
Anyway-I am hooked on travelling in a MH and planning my next adventure-hopefully camp freightliner at the end of the month.
Debbie
Old 07-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #16

Hi Tmmar. Do you do your own mtce like oil and filter changes. I need info on changing the air filters.

.....Ron
Team Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #17

Ron,
I usually do as much of my own maintenance as possible. I have not as yet changed the air filter so I can't give you much info there. I do change my oil and filters. I do it once a year since I don't put a great number of miles on my coach(I believe the recommended maintenance is once/year or 15000 miles). I have had it a little over 2 years and have about 15000 miles on it and changed the oil and filters twice so far. I will change it again in the fall just before I cover it for the winter.
Changing the oil and oil filters is an easy job. You just need to make sure that you have a catch pan big enough for all the oil (16 quarts). The oil filter is a spin on cartridge so that is easy to change. I usually pre fill the oil filter when I install the new one so that the oil pressure comes up very quickly. The fuel filter and water separator are also a spin on cartridges. You need to be quick in changing these since they are gravity fed from the fuel tank and you will get a steady flow of fuel out of the point where the filters attach once the old filter is removed. The water separator does not come with the amber sight bowl so I purchased a second one so that I can do a swap quickly and minimize the amount of fuel that drains out. I can't really do a lot of crawling around under the coach due to a bad back so I have Freightliner do a lube job when I get my yearly state inspection. The charge me about $75 to do it, which is a lot but I find it easier than doing it myself. I change the generator oil and filter at the same time. It takes almost a gal of oil. The filter can be a challenge to get off since there is a small, drop down access door that you need to work through.
Let me know if you need any other info.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #18

I dropped my rig off to Len-Rich today. Something under the power step is broken. When I pick up the rig they will go over some basic what to check for. I appreciate all the info. I am keeping notes from this forum so I know what to check and follow up on. I used the engine brake today. What a big difference going down hills. When I went down to NC I felt like the rig was trying to get away from me because I didn't use to engine brake now I know I will have more control using it.
Thanks-Debbie
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbt803 View Post
Anyway-I am hooked on travelling in a MH and planning my next adventure-hopefully camp freightliner at the end of the month.
Debbie
Hi Deb,
My wife and I went through Camp Freightliner back in March. It was a very informative class. You should definitely sign up for it.

2006 Ford Focus Toad
HD Night Train
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm View Post
Do you do your own mtce like oil and filter changes. I need info on changing the air filters.

.....Ron
Engine Air Filter: 1. Loosen & Disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses. 2. The rubber hose coming from the Air Gauge/Monitor needs to be pulled from the filter. 3. Loosen metal band that holds filter in place. 4. Just reverse these steps for installing the new filter. NOTE: I found it easier to sit upright instead of laying on my back to change the filter. There is enough room to wedge yourself in between the coach sidewall and the filter.

Generator Air Filter: Laying on your back looking up at the underside of the generator, the filter is up front to the right. There will be a plastic cover with a wing nut holding the filter in place.

2006 Ford Focus Toad
HD Night Train

Tags
390bh, berkshire