Old 09-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Can anyone tell me the wiring differences between Lippert and Kwikee steps. Thanks
You can get schematics for the Freightliner chassis, but not for the Berk cabin. Many times the commercial equipment manuals can give some insight to the wiring. Such is the case for the steps. The Kwikee Step is made by Kwikee Products and here is the manual:

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/875.pdf

The Coach Step is made by Stromberg Carlson and here is the manual:

https://www.strombergcarlson.com/sto...%20Lippert.pdf

Lippert sells them.
The Kwikee uses a normally open door switch (in absence of magnet) and the Coach Step use a normally closed door switch (in absence of magnet).

I do not believe that the controllers are interchangeable. The purple wire does not control the light.
Hank

Old 09-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #22

Nice mod Dan, they look great. Added to the list.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #23

Still no true answers controller plugs in all wiring same but switch will not shut off steps when parked also light comes on when steps retract not deploy
Old 09-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #24

Why did you change the controller in the first place? What wasn't working right?
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #25

Same problem thought new one would fix
Before had problem with steps warranty work then step switch did not work all wiring checks out but power switch will not shut steps off
And light is backwards comes on when steps up not down
Old 09-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #26

The one thing that will override the switch position is a 12 volt input from the engine ignition switch position. If the ignition switch is not in the off position the steps will retract no matter the step power switch position. I think it's the yellow wire that supplies this 12 volts from the ignition switch. Might check that there is not 12 volts on this wire continuously. Not sure about the step light though.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #27

Dkplace
To me it looks like you have a Kwikee controller with a Coach Step door switch or vice versa. I do not know how to tell the controllers apart; both would have LCI labels, but different part numbers. My controller for a Coach Step is Part Number 164889.

You can check your door switch without taking it apart, by measuring the DC voltage on the brown wire. Once you locate the brown wire (going into the controller), use a sharp small safety pin to pierce the insulation. Place your voltmeter between the brown wire (safety pin) and chassis ground with the voltmeter on DC (20 volt range). With the door open, if you have zero volts, you have a Coach Step setup. The Kwikee should give you zero volts with the door closed. I believe this will wok but frankly haven't done that myself. - Hank
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Dkplace
To me it looks like you have a Kwikee controller with a Coach Step door switch or vice versa. I do not know how to tell the controllers apart; both would have LCI labels, but different part numbers. My controller for a Coach Step is Part Number 164889.

You can check your door switch without taking it apart, by measuring the DC voltage on the brown wire. Once you locate the brown wire (going into the controller), use a sharp small safety pin to pierce the insulation. Place your voltmeter between the brown wire (safety pin) and chassis ground with the voltmeter on DC (20 volt range). With the door open, if you have zero volts, you have a Coach Step setup. The Kwikee should give you zero volts with the door closed. I believe this will wok but frankly haven't done that myself. - Hank
Actually, if there was 12 volts on that wire when the door switch actuated the 12 volts would be shorted directly to ground. Pull the plug apart and check the brown wire pin on the chassis plug side with an ohm meter to ground. If there is no continuity with the door open it's a Kwikee step switch. If there is continuity with the door open it's a lippert (coach step) step switch. Close the door to make sure the switch is actuating by observing continuity to ground (Kwikee) or no continuity to ground (Lippert) as applicable. But it is my understanding that there was the issue with the steps before any part changing and with the original part reinstalled the issue is still there. Now, this not to say that the door switch has not failed. But a quick continuity check will eliminate that possibility. JMO
Old 09-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkplace View Post
Same problem thought new one would fix
Before had problem with steps warranty work then step switch did not work all wiring checks out but power switch will not shut steps off
And light is backwards comes on when steps up not down
Sounds like you're saying that your dealer wired it so the switch doesn't work at all?
Is this something you should take back to your dealer to fix?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Sounds like you're saying that your dealer wired it so the switch doesn't work at all?
Is this something you should take back to your dealer to fix?
The switch woks fine it has 12 volts going to controller when on no volts when off white wire
When off the steps retract when door open
Or on steps retract
For some reason the switc controls nothing

Tags
light, modifications