Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #41

Great work. Glad we could encourage you to take a more in depth look of the issue. Thanks to searching for my own leaks on various vehicles I have learned to not just look at where the drip is forming, but also follow the line, its interesting to see how sometimes the path taken is far from direct.

looking pump pictures I dont think you issue was the O ring for the pump, though there are signs of coolant/water sitting there. What I think is that the shaft seal failed. I noticed that the front side of the water pump looks to be wet (or was that just from removing the pump?) Either way, if you only found that area wet when checking, the best guess would be the water pump leaking.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #42

If you turn the pump over there should be a small hole, that's a weep hole. When the shaft seal fails that's where coolant goes to let you know.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes well!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #43

Having changed a few water pumps in cars over the years, I'm wondering if this job is the same as doing one on a car? Sounds like the construction of the pump is the same (weep hole losing fluid when seal goes bad)
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #44

It varies. The ISB Cummins is actually easier than most cars, two bolts and it's really easy to access. The Duramax is a different animal, low mounted, gotta pull the balancer over one bolt. Lovely design.

Can't speak for any of the Ford diesels over the years, never had opportunity to change one.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
It varies. The ISB Cummins is actually easier than most cars, two bolts and it's really easy to access. The Duramax is a different animal, low mounted, gotta pull the balancer over one bolt. Lovely design.

Can't speak for any of the Ford diesels over the years, never had opportunity to change one.

I have an ISB, so if/when the time comes.......
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #46

I am proud to announce that this "little" project is done. I really don't regret the inconvenience in view of the knowledge I gained. Like they say, "a day without learning is wasted", or some such.

I also learned a lot about coolant. You may wish to view the final saga here.

Now I have to replace the floor panels in the bedroom and give the carpet a good cleaning. I plan to mount a couple of drawer handles in strategic places to make removing the panels a bit easier next time. (You know there will be a next time).

Again, I am extremely grateful for the combined expertise and opinions expressed here over the past couple of weeks.
2015 Cardinal 3550RL Fifth Wheel
dontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #47

Din very happy that you were able to find and fix the problem yourself. It's nice to know you still got it. Great job.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #48

Well done. To make life easy with your antifreeze, pour in one gallon of straight, then a gallon of water. Then, open your second gallon of antifreeze. Pour half into the empty jug, fill both with water, cap and shake.

Now you have two gallons of mixed, the engine will mix that initial straight and water for you.

Diesels take a very long time to get warm enough to open the thermostat, keep it topped up until you can feel the upper radiator hose get hot. Then once it cools, check the system to make sure it's full. If it's a little low, top up. A little over, don't worry about it.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #49

Thanks for posting your findings for those of us that will eventually experience this same situation someday. I'm happy to hear you were able to fix it yourself without incurring the huge cost of labor that a Maintenance Facility would of charged. Your detailed instruction gives me hope that I would be able to tackle this job even though my mechanical skills are limited.

A few years ago I had my fan bolts shear off and the Cummins shop could not get to the top of the engine. They eventually called me and asked me where the access point was. I explained to them it was in the bedroom. They called back and stated they still could not find it. Long story short, I had to drive the 60 miles to the shop, (like you) cut the carpet and pry it up myself.

Thanks again for you post.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
To make life easy with your antifreeze, pour in one gallon of straight, then a gallon of water...
Great advice. I had something like that procedure in my head, but hadn't quite worked it all out yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06nighttrain View Post
...I'm happy to hear you were able to fix it yourself without incurring the huge cost of labor that a Maintenance Facility would of charged....I had to drive the 60 miles to the shop, (like you) cut the carpet and pry it up myself.
That's the major reason I decided to do it myself. I have not had good experiences with dealers, not to mention the expense. When I first bought the coach, it had been sitting on the lot for a year and had some major problems. The dealer really botched everything and I ended up getting Forest River involved. Since we were heading out for a cross country trip anyway, I decided to make Elkhart one of our stops. FR got everything back in order at no cost to us. So I have a deep mistrust of local RV dealers. After returning home, I refused to take the coach in for minor repairs, preferring to do it myself. I plan to change the oil myself from now on, which will save me $400 a year minus the cost of the oil and filters.
2015 Cardinal 3550RL Fifth Wheel
dontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontech View Post
Great advice. I had something like that procedure in my head, but hadn't quite worked it all out yet.

That's the major reason I decided to do it myself. I have not had good experiences with dealers, not to mention the expense. When I first bought the coach, it had been sitting on the lot for a year and had some major problems. The dealer really botched everything and I ended up getting Forest River involved. Since we were heading out for a cross country trip anyway, I decided to make Elkhart one of our stops. FR got everything back in order at no cost to us. So I have a deep mistrust of local RV dealers. After returning home, I refused to take the coach in for minor repairs, preferring to do it myself. I plan to change the oil myself from now on, which will save me $400 a year minus the cost of the oil and filters.
Good Job Don!
I agree with doing as much maintenance as you are able yourself.
ALL dealers cut corners to save money and move on to the next rig.
Many don't have the skill or tools to maintain these monsters and that's OK because that's how RV repair services make money.
It is also nice to hear Forest River took care of business.
With all the negative remarks here they actually seem to want to see a good quality MH.
Have fun on your travels this year.
I'm getting ready for a 10,000 mile, 3-4 month adventure.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak