Old 05-01-2014, 02:16 PM   #21

Rich where did you take it? The FL in KZoo does a good job.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #22

I did go to Kzoo...freightliner Oasis dealer. They work on RV's there, so I am glad that they're so close.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #23

Don't go to GR FL same owners but huge diff in the service. Cummins Bridge way on Clay in GR is also outstanding. Sorry to hijack.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Don't go to GR FL same owners but huge diff in the service. Cummins Bridge way on Clay in GR is also outstanding. Sorry to hijack.
No problem. I appreciate the info.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM   #25

While this may not be 100% easy to do, the only way to find out where the coolant is will be to follow the water up the front corner of the block. You have one of 3 issues that could be the problem. A freeze plug that has blown out because the coolant was not the right mix for the temps it saw in the winter, a cracked radiator hose at the water pump, or a failed water pump. I would see no reason the the expansion tank to only drip down that side of the block if its mounted on the other side of the engine.

But if you cannot figure it out, best to take it to an authorized cummins repair shop.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Put some food coloring in the water and pour it in the overflow tank and without starting the engine, see where it goes. I suspect the overflow tank or the hose from the tank to the engine is the culprit.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #27

Thanks for the food coloring idea. The problem is that it is not leaking from the overflow tank or any hoses coming from there or the radiator. The ONLY place I can find any water is as shown next to the oil pan.

jbrostek, thanks for your analysis. I will try to get a better look at the water pump, but again, there doesn't seem to be any water coming from that high up. I'll post later if I have more to report.
2015 Cardinal 3550RL Fifth Wheel
dontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #28

I am just basing it on the last picutres, you have one shot looking up the block and the "wet" area exends at least to the lower radiator hose outlet. But after some research on the Cummins ISB 6.7 for 2008 that was offered in the Berkshire you also have a cooled EGR, which happens to be the big red block on the right hand side looking at the top of the motor towards the radiator. If that is somehow leaking at coolant connection towards the front of the motor it would follow that path.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #29

Yesterday, I got intimate with my engine and laid down on top of it so I could reach further down in front. I could see and feel some water coming from the area of the water pump, but not nearly the volume that is dripping off the bottom of the oil pan. I thoroughly explored around all of the hoses with my fingers and they were dry. So I'm about ready to concede to the water pump theory. I'm going to check in with a Freightliner dealer up the road tomorrow and see what they have to say. I don't have the tools or the desire to try to change the pump myself so I will report back when I learn more.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #30

Here's a quick question I just thought of. If I do decide to drive the coach to the dealer about 40 miles away, I'm sure that the engine is going to go into shut down mode because of low coolant. If I disconnect the sensor from the back of the overflow tank will that bypass the shutdown? I'm thinking that there will still be enough coolant that it won't overheat. I would watch the temp gauge carefully, of course.

Tags
leak