Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #1

Need a new roof

When Terry Town in Grand Rapids winterized my MH a 390RB Berkshire 2011 they found cracks in my roof. They called Forest River and sent them pictures of the issue. FR will be replacing the roof the end of February. They said its a lot of work but it will be a better stronger roof when done. FR has been great to work with and am still very happy with the MH.
My reason for posting this is have you look closely at your roof. FR said they had issues with a supplier of Fiberglas in the fall of 2010 and that there was thin spots in the Fiberglas. I would not have noticed the cracks and had a hard time finding them until the service manager pointed them out to me.
Take a look you might want to wash the roof in the spring to see it better.
I wish I had pictures but I don't and I don't think I will be climbing up there before they replace it.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

Mine was replaced within one year of purchase. We understand there is two ways to do it. One is to lay a second roof one top of the old one, second is to remove the old roof and put a new one one. We had the old one removed due we felt the first roof was not sticking to the plywood due to the bubbles in the fiberglass roof. best of luck. Think that FR will just glue a new fiberglass roof on top unless you push for a complete replacement roof.

Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Thanks for your info on the roof. I did use it when I talked to FR and also talking to our dealer. They both said there were positives and negatives to each approach. I am going to let FR do the replacement and let them go over the existing roof. I don't think my issue is a lack of bonding to the plywood. It looks to me and our dealers service manager that the fiberglas is to thin and it cracked in the thin spots.
I think it one of those 6/1 half dozen of the other. I hope we are both right but I think that Randy at FR will take care of any issues that come up. It makes me nervous about leaks down the road.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

Randy is a pretty good guy, he helped us several times with issues. Good luck.
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
When Terry Town in Grand Rapids winterized my MH a 390RB Berkshire 2011 they found cracks in my roof. They called Forest River and sent them pictures of the issue. FR will be replacing the roof the end of February. They said its a lot of work but it will be a better stronger roof when done. FR has been great to work with and am still very happy with the MH.
My reason for posting this is have you look closely at your roof. FR said they had issues with a supplier of Fiberglas in the fall of 2010 and that there was thin spots in the Fiberglas. I would not have noticed the cracks and had a hard time finding them until the service manager pointed them out to me.
Take a look you might want to wash the roof in the spring to see it better.
I wish I had pictures but I don't and I don't think I will be climbing up there before they replace it.
This spooks me a bit, since your S/N is pretty close to mine. However, I read somewhere else that it was pretty obvious as the material was actually "rippled" and would be easily noticed.

I climbed up and peeked over the edge (while still standing on the ladder) and saw nothing obvious. My tech went all the way up on the roof and said it was in the BEST condition of any roof he'd ever seen. Then my cleaning crew went up there and didn't mention any problem. They applied 303 while they were cleaning.

But now I wonder if the damage is so difficult to spot, maybe I should have a closer instection.

Anyhow Phil57, thanks for this heads-up.

Boowho??
Old 01-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

I don't think I would have found the issue with mine. It wasn't a ripple but more of a crack. Very fine cracks. If you have had someone inspect your roof I'm sure you are fine.
When I had Terry Town do my winterizing if thought I was being lazy and I was but what I didn't know was the amount of inspection that they do at the same time. And that really was my point. I would have just done the water part if winterizing and not have done a complete inspection. For 95.00 I think I got my money's worth and they will be doing mine as long as I have a MH. Good luck with the roof again I'm sure it's fine Randy at FR said they have had around ten they had to replace. I think mine goes in mid February so il update then how it went.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #7

WOW Phil, you have had more than your share of issues! I'm sure glad you are still happy with your Berk. I agree about Randy. He is a huge asset to FR and a real advocate for the customer. He really stepped up and helped me with my AC issues! FR needs to give him a raise!

I've got a few minor issues and Randy asked me to stop by the factory for repair in April while on my way to Michigan for the summer. He is looking into doing a few upgrades for me at the same time.

Keep us in the loop on the how the replacement goes and tell Randy I said Hi when you see him.

Marc
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #8

Marc did you upgrade to the 15 on the air cond. I plane to ask Randy to work with me when they do the roof The 13000 jus doesn't get the rig cool. Also if remember right you had a insulated panel for the windshield. If I'm right did you make it or buy it. I'm thinking that would help to cool the MH a lot. Sure hope winter has been good for you and Jan. we are heading to SC in March to go to Camp Freightliner and to have the steer axel done. Plan to be in the SC Georgia area for the month of March and head home by April. How's the weather that time of year? We are thinking Savanna for a couple weeks and Charleston rest.
We are making plans for Mackinaw Mills this July and heading up to the locks also. Might head to the up and also Canada if time permits.
Are you planing on going to the FROG rally. Dianna and I have thought about it but not sure if we can squeeze it in the summer goes so fast. Take care
Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #9

Phil, the AC is one of the upgrades Randy is looking into for us. I talked with him a few weeks ago and he is checking with Dometic to see how much we would gain with the 15.

I still don't have a shade for the outside of the windshield. I'll probably go with one made by magnashades. I've talked with the owner and he sounds like a great guy. I have also traded messages with folks that have Magnashades and they speak highly of the company and the performance of the product in reducing inside heat.

Winter has been good, but we haven't been using the stick house in GA much. Last week we were in Ft Myers Beach Florida! Right now, and for the next two weeks, we are at a great park in Cortez, FL. Just 1/2 mile from the beach. Jan has been taking time off and she will go back to work for about 2 months and then retire. We will head to our summer place in Michigan right after the taxes are done and filed!

March temperatures in the Savannah area are mid to low 70's during the day and 50's at night. If you like the beach stay on Tybee island at Rivers End RV park. You are about a mile from the beach. It's owned by the city of Tybee and is a pretty nice park. There are some other options and some nicer parks, but further away from the water!

May do the FROG rally in August. Which one are you looking to go to? July at Niagara Falls or August in Goshen?

Marc

62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote