Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #1

Need advice on Flat towing Jeep?

I want to flat tow my 2012 Jeep liberty 4 x 4 behind my 390bh.
Dealer I use, uses Blue Ox on tow bar, are they good?
Do I really need brake(buddy) controller?
Dealer also told me around $3000 to do both with set up?
I typically set cruise at 70mph, is this ok?
any other advice would be nice?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #2

When I had a class a I pulled a jeep wrangler w/blue ox set up. Worked really well as for easy hook up and un hook. Make sure you read the jeep manual about towing. I do not know about the liberty but the wrangler you have to make sure the key is in and turned a way to keep the steering wheel unlocked. I remember my first pull, I forgot that part, just arrived at campground and the front tire blew was glad it happen there rather than on the road.

Yes you will need some brand for brake assist.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Wanderluster

We use a Blue Ox Adventa tow bar and it has been a good product for us. The telescoping arms make hooking up your towed vehicle much easier.

As far as supplemental brakes, I'd suggest you read The Physics of Towed Vehicles to help you make your own decision. Personally, I would never hit the road with a towed vehicle without supplemental brakes, but I guarantee you can find plenty of opposing opinions.

As far as the Brake Buddy, they are very popular brake systems because they are relatively easy to install. What I don't like about them is you have to drag the box out of wherever you store it and place it in your towed vehicle and connect the brake pedal and wires associated with the device every time you want to tow. While it's not a big deal, it seems less fun after doing it often and especially when it's raining and you have to hook up that stuff under the dash.

We use a Roadmaster Invisibrake system on our '97 Wrangler. After a more complicated initial installation, it is always connected to the brakes, requires nothing inside the vehicle when hooking up, and only the normal tow bar, electrical, and safety chain attachments are required.

Another option that is less expensive and very effective from all reports is the ReadyBrake. Personally, I don't like surge type braking, but it does the job when you need it.

Another company that makes systems that require no inside the vehicle hookups for towing after initial installation is M & G Engineering and you may want to look at that system too.

As previously mentioned, the steering wheel lock if equiped must be disengaged, and you need to verify in your owners manual that your 2012 Liberty can be towed 4 down.

One last source you might find useful is the Towing Guide. The vehicle information is only through 2011, but the information is valid otherwise.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #4

Eric I have a blue Ox for sale now that I sold our Motor Home. I also have a braking butty. Not all states require braking butties. I will sell it for $500 each or $900 for both. But you must pay shipping. It may also pay to go local. Each vehicle's towing are somewhat different. Get good information form vehicle Manufactures. Have great travels.
ron2279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #5

Been pulling with a blue ox through two motorhomes....

and 7 years. Easy to use and performs very well. Alabama does not require a breaking system and neither I nor any I know here have one but I'm sure some do. I can understand the need in a mountainous area but we have been everywhere and never had a problem. we pull a crv which is not extremely heavy.
BamaCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

Blue Ox and Brake Buddy

We currently have a Berk 390BH-60 and use a Blue Ox Alladin and Brake Buddy to tow a Ford Flex.

We are now on our third class A, Second tow car and second tow bar.

I love the blue ox Alladin. It is the one of the lightest on the market, is extremely easy to use and stores well ... both one and off the RV.

The new Alladin is rates at 7500 lbs unlike the older 500 lb model. The rods that connect the towbar to the baseplate are removable so that no hardware is visible when not in tow mode (except power plug). Alladin fits directly into the RV receiver ... unlike other models that attach to a tow ball.

Time required to hook-up car and RV is less than one minute once you have done it a time or two.

As far as the Brake Buddy is concerned ... the unit works quite well ... although a bit of a pain in the @## to hook up. You will find that a secondary braking device is law in many States and Provinces. Google will provide you with a map of those states.

When it comes to speed and duration of towing, this is vehicle dependant. I used to tow our old vehicle at 70-75 mph all of the time .... however the Flex should not be towed above 60-65mph. Some vehicle can only be towed for a certain number of hours before they must have the engine started and run. A very good resource is called the Dingy Towing Guide. PDF versions are available on the internet.

Based on Canadian pricing, $3000 is a good approx cost.
$1000 brake buddy
$1000 tow bar
$400 base plate
$600 wiring and installation.

Be sure to have this professionally installed by someone that knows the business. Setup is very important.

note
Due to the extremely low receiver on the Berk ... it is very likely that you will require and up/down receiver. In my case I required a lift of 10 inches to get withing Blue Ox tolerances (the car may be up to 4 inches below tehe MH but not above it).

ps
be sure to use your engine retarder on down hills
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote