Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Need Girard water heater help

Got out camping today and no hot water. I get a E1 error on the panel. It is trying to light but no gas? I have gas in the coach? Gen 3 model

Thx!!!
ndfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

I'm not sure if they are set up similar but on my gen 2, there is a reset button in the back when you take the cover off outside for the water heater. It's a small button, circle in shape.

Try lighting the cooktop inside to make sure you are getting gas inside just to double check for gas flow.
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Cooktop has gas
Old 06-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

When you flow water, does the control panel light up like it is supposed to do?
Hank
Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
Some guy in back...

It has a burner, maybe spiders or other insects have found their way in and are obstructing the burner?

From the manual:

E1: Ignition failure or accidental flame off during ignition.

If the established flame signal is lost while the burner is operating, the control will respond within 0.8 seconds,

the gas valve is de-energized and a new inter-purge and ignition routine will begin. If the burner does not light,

the control will de-energize the gas valve and will make one more attempt to relight the burner. If the burner does

not relight after the two trials the control will go into LOCKOUT and the unit will need to be turned off before it can

operate again. (Turn hot water faucet OFF and back ON to re-set) This could occur for a number of reasons.

# Description Photo Qty

The most common are:

• Lack of Gas in the tank

• Faulty Igniter

• Faulty Igniter connections

• Improper distance between the Igniter and the Burner

• Accumulated dirt or obstruction between

• Igniter and Burner

• Low Gas Inlet pressure
Good luck!
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #6

Reset little button upper left hand corner behind power switch
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
Reset little button upper left hand corner behind power switch
don't think the gen3 has a reset button. only the gen2 (gswh-1m) has the limit switch and reset on it that i know of...

anyone else know if the gen3 has a reset button? i can't find one...
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

I got ahold of Gerard and they had me rap on the proportional valve on left and BAM it lit. They are sending a replacement part as well! Great service on this one!
Old 06-24-2016, 11:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfellow View Post
I got ahold of Gerard and they had me rap on the proportional valve on left and BAM it lit. They are sending a replacement part as well! Great service on this one!
this just happened to me too.. brand new unit.

had to hit it pretty hard for it to release.

emailed girard tech support and they confirmed to hit it relatively hard too. got a new valve coming in the mail to replace this faulty one. but in the meantime while i'm on the road, i have a workaround and know what to look for now.

for those that are wondering exactly what to do, the proportional gas valve is the entire unit on the bottom left. the power switch is above it. just get a ball peen hammer, wrench or whatever you have and hit it pretty hard straight down onto it. it's the brass valve with the two round caps on top and one of them has wires going to it. hit both of those fairly hard. you have to jar it loose. you won't hear anything per say, just hit it.. then go try again and you should see the flame icon go on. or if you have a helper, you should see the flame light up if you are right next to the unit.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:46 PM   #10

Thank you so much for this post! We had the exact same problem with a brand new unit on our first trip. Your post saved my holiday weekend! Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed set of instructions.
rbrickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

Another thanks, brand new unit I switch out myself, worked great, went back out to coach today two weeks later an no work. Seen that look in wife's eyes lol. Rechecked everything an thought to try forum. Bingo , wonder if these valves or switches will break in , did girard send both or just front one ? Thanks much for sharing , I went to zero but now I am a hero again. With your help.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfellow View Post
Got out camping today and no hot water. I get a E1 error on the panel. It is trying to light but no gas? I have gas in the coach? Gen 3 model

Thx!!!
I have the Gen III as well which we really love. I have noticed that if we don't use the rig for month or so, the main gas valve sticks a bit on the first light, probably sticky propane or something. The gas valve is the upright electrical valve right behind the circuit board. Just give it a gentle tap while it's trying to open and you should be good to go.
I only had to do that a couple times, just a fluke I think.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #13

Yes, that's correct, there is thread on it, left lower side of unit behind an left of circuit board cover , two round valves or switches , rear one has electrical wires to top, take a small hammer or some heavy like a hammer hit straight down on top of each, give it a fairly good rap. It's worked for many including me. Leave switch on.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #14

Side note. Been camping now for about a week, gen 3 is wonderful. We had the gen 2 .
Old 08-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #15
Some guy in back...

Cool Same here, not a fluke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
I have the Gen III as well which we really love. I have noticed that if we don't use the rig for month or so, the main gas valve sticks a bit on the first light, probably sticky propane or something. The gas valve is the upright electrical valve right behind the circuit board. Just give it a gentle tap while it's trying to open and you should be good to go.
I only had to do that a couple times, just a fluke I think.
I think it's pretty common. I have been out 4 times since we had our Gen III installed in May and I've had to whack the valve assembly the last three times. It works fine after that, but it's not a fluke, it's a problem. For now, I am living with it in exchange for endless hot water.
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 08-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #16

Call Girard they will send you parts they did me and no problems since!
Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM   #17
Some guy in back...

Thanks. Like half the country, I am going out next week-end and will call them after the holiday. Camping season does not stop for most of California, so I'll have several opportunities to see how the unit performs before the end of the year.
'99 Ford E350 V10
'16 Rockwood 8329SS

Tags
heater, water, water heater