Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
Need GPS Recommendation & Canadian Map Link

I am getting ready to replace my Garmin GPS which we've had for a few years and was wondering what others do for navigation. I've read a lot of old threads on this subject but I have not seen anything really current. I know I can get another Garmin, which I'd rather not do, or a Rand McNally unit. I also can use my phone but it doesn't allow m to put in RV data like weight, height etc. I also think there are programs I can run on my tablet. Does anyone have a system they use and would recommend?

Also, I'd like to find a link where I can add the Canadian Provinces to my signature. I've see it on many signatures but have been unable to find a link.

Thank you

Plus all Canadian Provinces except Manitoba and Saskatchewan

Camping History: 2014 - 240 days. 2015 - 210 days.
2016 - 265 days. 2017 - 244 days. 2018 - 217. 2019 -196 and now full-timing
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

I have a Garmin 760 love it.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

If you have a smartphone or tablet with a GPS chip, check out "CoPilot HD USA & Canada" in your device's App Store. I use this on my iPhone. You can download the maps you need, so no cellular data use is required during your trip. Software is constantly improved. About 20 bucks, and map updates are free.
Air Lift AirCells, Blue Ox BX1500
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #4

I have had many GPS over the years.

TomTom .... I used it once and threw it out.

Garmin .... Have had 2 different models ... Did not find them very user friendly. The one I purchased in the states did not include maps for Canada and was never used again

Magellan.... this is a Canadian made GPS. I have owned several different models. Very user friendly and very affordable... I have never spent over 100 dollars cdn. Free map upgrades for life. More features than Garmen.
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Apple Valley, CA

Garmin GPS

I use a garmin 760 LMT ,It covers Canada the US and Mexico . I've been using it for 5 years-and so far happy. Like in the above post I also tried a Tom Tom for one trip , I don't think it could find itself much less where I wanted to go.
RLloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #6

Love my 760LMT. Easy to use, easy to read, and hasn't failed me yet. Just a year old though. ProClips is a great way to put it on the dash, too. I have one for the Garmin, and one for my phone.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
If you have a smartphone or tablet with a GPS chip, check out "CoPilot HD USA & Canada" in your device's App Store. I use this on my iPhone. You can download the maps you need, so no cellular data use is required during your trip. Software is constantly improved. About 20 bucks, and map updates are free.

Also, with this App you can enter your RV profile for height and it allows you to enter your speeds for the different type roads. I.e., freeway "60", and then it calculates the drive time based on that speed.
[emoji106]

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNuzzolo View Post
I am getting ready to replace my Garmin GPS which we've had for a few years and was wondering what others do for navigation. I've read a lot of old threads on this subject but I have not seen anything really current. I know I can get another Garmin, which I'd rather not do, or a Rand McNally unit. I also can use my phone but it doesn't allow m to put in RV data like weight, height etc. I also think there are programs I can run on my tablet. Does anyone have a system they use and would recommend?

Also, I'd like to find a link where I can add the Canadian Provinces to my signature. I've see it on many signatures but have been unable to find a link.

Thank you
Here ya go: Visited Canadian Provinces and Territories Map - Create a Map of all the places you've been

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-g View Post
I have a Garmin 760 love it.
x2
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:19 PM   #10

Canadian GPS Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I have had many GPS over the years.

TomTom .... I used it once and threw it out.

Garmin .... Have had 2 different models ... Did not find them very user friendly. The one I purchased in the states did not include maps for Canada and was never used again

Magellan.... this is a Canadian made GPS. I have owned several different models. Very user friendly and very affordable... I have never spent over 100 dollars cdn. Free map upgrades for life. More features than Garmen.
Tom Tom- too expensive for upgrading maps.
Garmin- Maps very reasonably priced, my model has bluetooth for handsfree phone and a very good trip data module- distance travelled, time moving, time stopped, etc, etc. Plus a speed readout to confirm speedometer.
Magellan- Very good, but I bought it primarily for its built in back up camera. (The whole package was on sale for less than straight GPS units). Speed readout impracticably small.

Cheers

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #11

I have a Garmen 760 LTM and It works great both in US and Canada with one exception. In NY state you can't drive a Class A, C, or TT on a Parkway ($500 fine and low bridges), yet in RV mode the Garmen will route you on them.
If you're going to Canada set you're GPS to avoid toll roads. Some (all?) are Canadian Easy Pass only, US version does not work and there are no cash booths. They photo IDed our plate and sent us a $100 dollar fine. If that happens you can call them and they will forgive the fine once in the life of the plate
Old 06-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #12

I have had a Garmin NuviCam for about a year. It is the GPS with Dashcam. I like it better than my previous factory nav and prior TomTom. Works well and I like having the dash cam and GPS all in one unit. The magnetic base works well but must be mounted on the windshield - I understand this is an illegal mount in some states?
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #13

BamaBob suggested the Garmin 770RV so I got one. Lifetime maps in Canada and US and they are updated over WIFI.

Works pretty well so far. It recently told us to do a left turn from a driving lane in Ottawa, when there was a good left turn lane in the block before. Some helpful local flashed his lights an let me turn left after waiting for a few minutes.

You can set your height, length, etc and it will attempt to give you routes that don't have problems.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:41 PM   #14

I now have a RV660. I tried using cell phone RV GPS app. I liked it but when I lost the GPS when I lost cell service. That was good. That is when I was convinced to buy a GARMIN GPS. I am looking forward to my next long trip.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote