Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM   #11
Is it a standard hard disc (spinning) or solid state hard drive. It could be the disk protection software is sensing movement shutting the hard drive off (fall protection)

I look after 250 Macs, Apple/Adobe CC of late is pushing security updates every couple of weeks it seems. The Macs are really no better than the 200 PC's. I would dump Macafee, I find all the internet scare ware essentials cause more problems. Download Windows Defender (for free) and turn your firewall on. Run all Microsoft updates and don't install any freeware or About toolbars. With Windows 8.1 there are many apps that constantly access the intrnet to update content, delete ones you never use.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #12
The odds are fairly good it is when you are accessing something that requires Flash/Adobe/PDF.
Make sure you Flash is up to date or to 'test" it, turn off Flash in your browser and see if your problem goes away.
i have had the exact same issue.

Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2013 Chevy 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I have McAfee security software and the cursor will free up when the disk active light either goes off almost completely or it starts to flicker. When I do the cntl-alt-del and bring up task manager, I don't see anything that is really hogging memory but the disk utilization screen shows 100%. I'm not really sure if there is a security scan running or if any updates are being installed.
Tom, McAfee is good, but not if you just have their low end Anti Virus software. You should used a full Internet Security version that has Anti Virus, Firewall and Malware protection. Hope you are using a complete, robust program. I am not personally familiar with McAfee and perhaps others can offer guidance.
Gale & Hank- 2012 Berkshire 390BH
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
I was a loyal McAfee user for way back to the BBS days on DOS 5 (or whatever it was). That changed in recent years and I have since started using AVG. I think McAfee was just killing my system to the point that it was sometimes unresponsive. Just like Ford vs. Chevy, all will have their own valid opinion.
2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #15
If the unit is locking, something big is happening in the background. Use Cltr-Alt-Esc to open the Task Manager to see what processes are hogging memory (under processes).

A real big problem is malware (viruses, and spyware) so a look at the following site may help.

Bleeping Computer - Technical Support and Computer Help
Look for MalwarBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, and ComboFix when all else fails.
If you are adventurous, try the Junkware Removal tool before ComboFix.
If you are cautious, talk to your local PC shop (get recomendations) and have them check the unit for issues.

And stay away from fruit! Apple is a nice product but has such a small market share now that the cost of applications and support don't make it worthwhile (IMHO).
2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM   #16
Hi tmmar you need more ram memory installed in the laptop. you have the lowest amount of ram install in the laptop right now to run 8.1. RAM is (random access memory) short term memory that the laptop uses to think with. Any good computer store or repair shop should be able to install more for you.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #17
I have 6 gb of memory installed in my machine and run malwarebytes and superantispyware as well as glaryutilities every night. I also run defrag every 2 weeks or so. Not sure what my next steps will be.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
How full is your hard drive? Windows likes to use the hard drive for extra memory while running (especially if you have a lot of apps running.)

If you have a spare thumb/flash drive handy, it may be worhtwhile to try this trick:

Using memory in your storage device to speed up your computer - Windows Help
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:49 AM   #19
Hi tmmar don't think it its malware. it sounds like you are running security on the PC right now and you are defraging the hard drive. I believe it comes down to the RAM memory or short term memory. There is not enough of it to hold amount of information that the laptop is tiring to process. RAM memory is not part of the hard drive that stores information in the laptop. It is memory chips that hold information for a short amount of time so the laptop processor can put the information in the right places on your hard drive. If there is not enough room it will cause a log jam of the information the laptop is working with slowing or freezing up the laptop. More can generally be add to the laptop at a PC or rehab store.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #20
Site Team
According to Microsoft, the minimum amount of RAM for Windows 8.1 is 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit) Unless you're running a lot of high-intensity programs, 6GB should be plenty.

It won't hurt adding more but I've read studies that show the difference in performance between 4GB and 8GB was only about 3%.

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote