Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Neutral Tow on Ford Sport Trac

I'm not aware if any other Berk or class A owners have a Ford vehicle as your toad but I do and have since my first class A in 2003. Since these are 4x4 the only way to flat tow is with the use of additional add on called a neutral tow device. I have always had flawless operation on all my Sport Tracs over the years until my last outing. After hooking up the toad I went to engage the neutral tow and nothing happened. I called my local Ford dealer who told me to bring in the Trac immediately. After hours of diagnosis their response was the 4x4 module was bad but they did not have one. Since we were heading to Charlotte for the race we had no choice but to have my wife drive the toad the 13 hours.
When we arrived I contacted the Ford dealer in South Carolina and had them order a new module which they did. Showing up to the appointment after the part came in they swapped out the old part for new one but guess what it still did not engage either. More testing and diagnosis told them the new module was bad.
Dealer didn't want to order another module until further testing was done but having already paying out $408 for module and install I didn't want to put more out.
The DW ended up driving the toad back the 13 hours so I could have my normal Ford dealer find out what's going on.
Fast forward to real time after spending 3 days investigating why it was determined a cable between the dash and the module was bad. Dealer laid over a new cable and success it started working. I might point out my regular dealer did not charge for the diagnosis or the cable and install telling me I paid more than enough already but did tell me it would have been $900 normally.
Mind you this toad is only a 2010 and I would think that is still new enough to not be having wire issues. So if you start having issues look this way instead of replacing modules.
Now comes the real fun contacting Ford and getting them to agree their testing procedures is crap and get them to reimburse me for the module and install which most likely was not bad in the first place. As they say film at 11.

Wayne
Old 10-26-2016, 07:23 AM   #2

I used to tow a 2013 Ford F-150 with no issues. We now drag around a 2016 Tahoe.

Tags
ford, sport