Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Never - Ever do what we done!

I am sure that all of hype are familiar with the carbon monoxide/ propane Safe T Alert, which is mounted near the floor. Ours has sometimes gone on because of hair or bug spray. Whisking some air by it, will shut it down.

Our alert is located right across from the refrigerator. We were doing a one night dry camping when my DW opened the refrig and a beer came out (of course my fault for the placement of beer), bursting and probably spraying the alarm. The alarm went off and we could not get it off. I place a fan on it to dry it out; no luck. Then I noticed the refrig temperature to start climbing. Putting two and two together, I figured that the alarm shuts down the propane tank. So, taking the alarm out of the wall, reading the alarm's pamphlet ( with no electrical diagram) and making some meter measurements, I figured that I would have to cut the red supply hot wire and temporarily tie the hot line to the white interlock output. With cutters in hand and just about ready to snip the wires, the fan finally got the beer out.

Wow, what a relief. So, guys,watch where you place your beers.

Hank
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #2

Good Advice.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I drink mine but I've heard some people like to throw them on the floor. [emoji482]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #4

I guess that it is a good thing that the beer didn't cause something to short. Happy to hear that it finally dried out and everything went back to normal.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

I know that most if not all the electronics are sealed on these units but what about the buzzer. I hope that the sticky stuff from the spill didn't dry and keep the buzzer from working. I would feel safer with a new unit in it's place after the original being wet.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Hank that's all nice and everything and we are all glad you have it fixed with out doing a major rewire of the MH. That doesn't excuse you from the blatant beer abuse. As punishment you should have to buy the first round next year at Goshen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Owner/Operator

You are very lucky that the bypass that you applied worked.

Unless things have changed in the industry ( I was in it for 25 years but have been out for 10 years), the output of the LP Detector that goes to the solenoid is only 9V DC. That is by design so that you cannot bypass the solenoid shutdown by applying 12V.

In most instances, applying 12V directly to the solenoid will open (burn out) the coil and render it and the LP System useless until replaced or physically bypassed.

Glad that it worked for you, but others should beware of the potential damage to the solenoid if bypassed in this manner.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

Never - Ever do what we done!

That why I don't drink!! I was always afraid one would roll out of fridg and set off the alarm. Just saying. Lol. Glad you got it resolved.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Owner/Operator

I don't drink because I'm allergic to alcohol.

When I drink alcohol, I break out in spots.

Like New York, Chicago, Miami.

Started drinking on Okinawa one Friday at happy hour, and woke up on Sunday in Osan Korea. (True)

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Started drinking on Okinawa one Friday at happy hour, and woke up on Sunday in Osan Korea. (True)

RodeoGeorge
Heh...we started once in Cambridge England at a pub lunch, and ended up in Edinburgh Scotland...all because someone said the pubs are open all night there. Oh to be young and dumb again.

I actually drink my beer, and did it once while replacing my loud, noisy beeping device. I thought I would have to do it again, but I found out that if I have a dead battery in my Cat, that propane detector goes crazy. With the camper plugged into shore power, it would beep after about an hour. Unplugged, with barely any current from the battery, the light would go green and be fine. I finally gave in and got my new battery and life is good once again.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #11

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with beer troubles. On our very first trip in on '14 400BH one of my husband's glass growlers of beer knocks the fridge door open while we were driving (didn't have the doors secured quite tight enough) and a growler of beer and what appeared to be pizza sauce jar fall out an miraculously break INTO the freezer, which also came open (all doors were strapped together). Late that night when we get to our stop I'm scooping partially frozen beer/sauce out of the freezer while DH is outside washing everything off. Grossly enough, the smell of beer and pizza mixed together in one disgusting mess reminded me of some of my "finer" nights in college.
Kelsma03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
RKR

Glad I'm not the only one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1410055811.026859.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	62249

Sent from a high tech gadget
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote