Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

New 2015 38rb issues

Hi all new to the forums.

We have just purchased a new motorhome and it's our first. Multiple things need adjusting/fixing. First question, does any one know if the stock water filter will keep the on demand water heater to not keep constant hot water to flow? It's starts out hot after running a bit but son it goes Luke warm/cold and never comes back real hot. I tried using water pump and fresh water tank, also city hookup and still the same results. Any advice is appreciated. No dealer close by.

Thanks!

bstnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #2

Had the Girard rep come to my motorhome last year at the FMCA rally in Perry, GA. He stressed the need to purge air from the water lines. If I do I generally have good results from the hot water heater.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #3

A couple of things to check. Do you have a pressure regulator on? If so is it the kind with a gage and adjustable? I like 50-55lbs of pressure. Some of the cheaper ones are preset at 40. Do you have good pressure from all the faucets. It sound like the high temp sensor is kicking in. If your pressure is good I would give tech support a call. Be at the MH when you call with access to the WH. They are very good at problem shooting and will have you disconnect wire and try different things. I had a similar issue and they sent a new sensor. I don't have the phone number handy but it should be in your paper work. I can find it if you need.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Oh and welcome and congrats on the new MH. Enjoy it.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #5

Is your WH a Girard or an Atwood? FR switched to Atwood about 4 months ago. My WH is a Girard and has similar issues as yours. I contacted Girard on my first outing and they read me the same reasons. I since purchased a high flow regulator from CW but have not used it yet.
What I discovered after researching why is upper limit is tripping maybe because of low flow or maybe not. That limit has a manual reset (little white button) pushing it allows burner to relight.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

bstnet,
congrats on your new coach and welcome to the Forums!
I found that if I set the thermostat on the water heater to heat the water to a temperature that is comfortable to shower with without having to mix in cold water, that the water heater works very well. Also, as mentioned water pressure and air in the lines can also affect the water temperature.

If you have a chance, you might want to give setting the water heater so that you do not need to mix in any cold water a try before calling Girard.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #7

Thank you all for the suggestions. A lot of this can be very overwhelming at first. I will let you all know what I find works. Thanks again!!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Phil57, would I call Girard for these tests? Yes, I have an adjustable Valtera with gauge water regulator and it's set for 50lbs of pressure. Thank you for all the suggestions!
bstnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #9

Yes call the tech support people. I can't think of the guys name but they are very helpful. They are in Cal. so it West coast time. Phone is 949 259 4024. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
I didn't know that FR moved to Atwood. It will be interesting to see how they work.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstnet View Post
Hi all new to the forums.

We have just purchased a new motorhome and it's our first. Multiple things need adjusting/fixing. First question, does any one know if the stock water filter will keep the on demand water heater to not keep constant hot water to flow? It's starts out hot after running a bit but son it goes Luke warm/cold and never comes back real hot. I tried using water pump and fresh water tank, also city hookup and still the same results. Any advice is appreciated. No dealer close by.

Thanks!
I assumed since you said you bought it new that you have a tankless water heater. That would help to know that. As for temp settings tmmar mentioned I am not aware of any temp settings on a tankless other than a control modulator to adjust the BTU of the burner.