Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

New 2015 38rb issues

Hi all new to the forums.

We have just purchased a new motorhome and it's our first. Multiple things need adjusting/fixing. First question, does any one know if the stock water filter will keep the on demand water heater to not keep constant hot water to flow? It's starts out hot after running a bit but son it goes Luke warm/cold and never comes back real hot. I tried using water pump and fresh water tank, also city hookup and still the same results. Any advice is appreciated. No dealer close by.

Thanks!
bstnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 PM   #2

Had the Girard rep come to my motorhome last year at the FMCA rally in Perry, GA. He stressed the need to purge air from the water lines. If I do I generally have good results from the hot water heater.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 PM   #3

A couple of things to check. Do you have a pressure regulator on? If so is it the kind with a gage and adjustable? I like 50-55lbs of pressure. Some of the cheaper ones are preset at 40. Do you have good pressure from all the faucets. It sound like the high temp sensor is kicking in. If your pressure is good I would give tech support a call. Be at the MH when you call with access to the WH. They are very good at problem shooting and will have you disconnect wire and try different things. I had a similar issue and they sent a new sensor. I don't have the phone number handy but it should be in your paper work. I can find it if you need.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #4

Oh and welcome and congrats on the new MH. Enjoy it.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #5

Is your WH a Girard or an Atwood? FR switched to Atwood about 4 months ago. My WH is a Girard and has similar issues as yours. I contacted Girard on my first outing and they read me the same reasons. I since purchased a high flow regulator from CW but have not used it yet.
What I discovered after researching why is upper limit is tripping maybe because of low flow or maybe not. That limit has a manual reset (little white button) pushing it allows burner to relight.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #6

bstnet,
congrats on your new coach and welcome to the Forums!
I found that if I set the thermostat on the water heater to heat the water to a temperature that is comfortable to shower with without having to mix in cold water, that the water heater works very well. Also, as mentioned water pressure and air in the lines can also affect the water temperature.

If you have a chance, you might want to give setting the water heater so that you do not need to mix in any cold water a try before calling Girard.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #7

Thank you all for the suggestions. A lot of this can be very overwhelming at first. I will let you all know what I find works. Thanks again!!
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

Phil57, would I call Girard for these tests? Yes, I have an adjustable Valtera with gauge water regulator and it's set for 50lbs of pressure. Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old 04-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

Yes call the tech support people. I can't think of the guys name but they are very helpful. They are in Cal. so it West coast time. Phone is 949 259 4024. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
I didn't know that FR moved to Atwood. It will be interesting to see how they work.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstnet View Post
Hi all new to the forums.

We have just purchased a new motorhome and it's our first. Multiple things need adjusting/fixing. First question, does any one know if the stock water filter will keep the on demand water heater to not keep constant hot water to flow? It's starts out hot after running a bit but son it goes Luke warm/cold and never comes back real hot. I tried using water pump and fresh water tank, also city hookup and still the same results. Any advice is appreciated. No dealer close by.

Thanks!
I assumed since you said you bought it new that you have a tankless water heater. That would help to know that. As for temp settings tmmar mentioned I am not aware of any temp settings on a tankless other than a control modulator to adjust the BTU of the burner.
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I assumed since you said you bought it new that you have a tankless water heater. That would help to know that. As for temp settings tmmar mentioned I am not aware of any temp settings on a tankless other than a control modulator to adjust the BTU of the burner.

Look in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom, should be a turn dial knob with a flame color sticker around it.

Here are my procedures for using the hot water.

If cold out (water coming in is also cold) so I turn the knob in the medicine cabinet to just below max and go full hot on the shower. If the temp of the water is still not hot, start turning the pressure down by lowering the shower water handle until water is perfect. If it is to hot, turn the knob down a little.

When it's hot out, (water coming in is warmer) so I turn the knob to about half way and go full hot on the shower handle. If too hot, turn the knob down. If no hot enough, lower the pressure with the handle again.

I've used this method since getting my Berk and never had any issues. I've camped in the winter while in the 20's and summer well into the 100's. I will say that when it's below freezing out I use my water tank and the water is still very cold so my pressure in the shower is "low" to keep it nice and hot..... But it is still plenty of pressure and never run out of hot water...

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #12

Hello All,

First off thank you all for your help. I ended up calling Girard support. They were friendly and helpful. In the end it appears I had too much water pressure even with my Valterra water pressure regulator at 55 PSI. They wanted a meat thermometer and a gallon pail to run tests so be ready. The water is only where we accept the heat in the shower at 50% usage via the shower handle. Overall it's acceptable but no perfect compared to our gas/electric quick recovery 10 gallon tank we had in our 5th wheel. Going to try changing out the stock shower head with bodyspa Rv shower head next. Thanks so much once again!
Old 05-26-2015, 12:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
bstnet,
congrats on your new coach and welcome to the Forums!
I found that if I set the thermostat on the water heater to heat the water to a temperature that is comfortable to shower with without having to mix in cold water, that the water heater works very well. Also, as mentioned water pressure and air in the lines can also affect the water temperature.

If you have a chance, you might want to give setting the water heater so that you do not need to mix in any cold water a try before calling Girard.
Good luck.
That's a good idea, as long as the Mrs uses the same temp!
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #14

your tankless water heater

After reading everything concerning this on the Forum. I spent a Good 8hrs and 80 gallons of water to get it to work every time. First®. Bleed all faucets, it is a fact that you will need to get air out. Second®. Flush the toilets. Third®. Set temperature control around the 2 o'clock position.
Try it and see if you have sustained hot water. Let water run to simulate showering and adjust the temperature control.
Also, I shut off all valves I don't use on the water distribution manifold, I.e. washer/dryer, outside shower. Doing all I could to eliminate air buffering my flow and pressure.
Worked for me. Evertime.
O. Make sure you have propane. FR has had problems with regulators and Tank gauges. Tank gauge says full, tank is empty. Regulator is very sensitive..... Open valve slowly or regulator will sense high flow and shut off.
My DW told me to fix it or have Warren Buffet come get it. That's the toned down version.√¢£¥
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:31 PM   #15

Here's what I've been doing with the hot water adjustment, unless everyone hits the shower before I can get to it (at which point they just yell at me where to set it)…

Assume the dial in the medicine cabinet is +10 to +45 degrees. Run enough water to clear the hose so you're getting spigot feed (ignore this step if you're on your tank) and grab that digital meat thermometer you should already have in the kitchen drawer. If cold water is at 70 deg in the kitchen sink I set water heater control at about +20 or 25. If warmer about +15. My math is if I target hot water for showers at about 95 degrees, no one gets scalded, so if I'm really trying to get it right I will measure cold then target from there.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #16

X2
I was going thru my box of papers I got when I purchased my mh and found book on water heater and and to my amazement, it gave the exact way to make it work. It's funny how we pull our hair out trying to make it work and all we need to do is read the book. I'm guilty.
Sand dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
In my 38A, there is a temp control in the half bath cupboard. At the dealer they told me not to turn it to max...I have it at about 3/4 setting and hot water stays pretty consistent.
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #18

Do you have to do that every time you want to shower or is this a "set it and forget it" kinda thing?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Do you have to do that every time you want to shower or is this a "set it and forget it" kinda thing?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
It is pretty much set it and forget it, but as gottawonder points out, you need to adjust it accordingly depending on the temperature of the incoming water. Colder incoming water you need to bump up the temp a bitl, warmer incoming water, turn down a bit.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote