Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
New 2018 Berkshire XL

Anyone have a new 2018 Berkshire XL or have ordered one?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

I have a 2018 XLT 43b on order and in production now. What do you want to know.
Mmnsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Any idea of the changes from the 2017 to the 2018? I'd be curious as to what, if anything, is different.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #4

Ed
There were quite a few changes from the 2017 to the 2017 1/2 and some additional for 2018. On the XLT the DEF is on the driver's side and a smart wheel. I believe there is also an updated electronic system and the awnings are the new Carefree ones without the arms and drop down further than the straight out ones. There might be some others that I don't recall.
Marty
Mmnsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Thanks Marty. I thought there were going to be some pretty good changes in the '18's. I do see the XLT being a direct competitor to the Entegra Insignia and probably a bit between the Insignia and the Aspire. I asked Sue Teall for some build sheets for the '18's when they come out. Hopefully I'll see those soon.

Post some pics when you get your new baby! You must be excited!
Old 04-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #6

That new 45A look fun-
Old 04-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Any idea of the changes from the 2017 to the 2018? I'd be curious as to what, if anything, is different.
The only difference seen so far is we deleted all furniture form the dining slide but FR countered with a new theater seat which we took em up on it, in same colors as original sofa. We used the 2017.5 build sheet when we ordered it back on 1/31/17. It is at the paint booth presently but still waiting on the theater seats from CA. We leave south Texas in 23 days for PDI. All other changes are a big secret to this point. Guess we'll act real surprised when we do the initial walk thru, huh?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Thanks Marty. I thought there were going to be some pretty good changes in the '18's. I do see the XLT being a direct competitor to the Entegra Insignia and probably a bit between the Insignia and the Aspire. I asked Sue Teall for some build sheets for the '18's when they come out. Hopefully I'll see those soon.

Post some pics when you get your new baby! You must be excited!
Most important thing to remember when looking at any 2017 Entegra is that as of 2016 Entegra was purchased by THOR. Beware!! Do your research!! All that glitters isn't always gold.........
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Rick, I am very much aware of Thor but I'm also aware that Thor purchased Airstream also and pretty much left that alone. One of the big pluses for Entegra is the two year warranty. At the same token, one of the big minuses is the lack of variety and, in some instances, usable floor plans. That may seem like a cruel comment but the Aspire 44R has a very tight aisle with the slides in. It can make a trip to the bathroom an adventure. Many of their floor plans are "sleeps two, feeds four, and entertains six" which is obviously not family friendly.

Ed
Old 06-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #10

2018 Berk pretty amazing

So I just got to walk through our new 2018 Berk XL and going from a 2015 to this is a huge difference.
They really stepped up to coach overall. Doors are now raised panel, the counter top in the kitchen now has led's in the front, all switches have been replaced by labeled, lit push buttons. The TV's are all Samsung vs. my old LG's. Cook top is now electric (not sure about this one). Drivers gauges have been completely redone and there is now a very nice huge touch screen GPS system. Power is now from the 380 along with the V-Ride suspension.
Batter and DEF compartments have swapped sides. There is now double doors for the non-slide compartment and the fresh water tank now has a easy to open door. Gone are any doors that open up and all swing out.
They also have upgraded the tires to 275/80/22.5 and added a 2nd outside step. It looks like the coach is at least an inch higher which is good.
Very Very impressed and can't wait to take deliver of this...
teamromano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
BobbyJ

Yes, the anxiety of waiting for the new coach! We share that with you, as our Berkshire XL 40C is also in paint this week (June 6-13) . Looking forward to all those upgrades you mentioned, plus a few more, like a window in the master bath and in the kitchen, a pantry, the wine rack behind the TV and the safe there too, 1050 ft-lbs of torque, Lippert 360 siphon roof vent caps to keep the inside free of odors, the pull-out sleeper sofa, and tile plank floors, a fitted front floor mat in the cockpit area with a Berkshire logo, 40" outside TV, tank level monitoring in the water bay, water selective switch with one hose to tank fill or city, gen on/off switch in the master bedroom, ceiling fan there too, along with the full wardrobe behind the TV, enough fresh water (103 g) to hang out at Wal-Mart an extra day, sleeping on the Serta King bed, keeping it clean with the central vac. Ahh...I can smell the coffee, and close the slides with the cell phone at the same time. Good luck with your new coach. Keep us updated and forward a picture ASAP.

BobbyJ
State College, PA Go Pens!
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #12

Thanks Bobby
I know I forgot a few, love the solar being pre-wedding and the smart app and control panel.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamromano View Post
all switches have been replaced by labeled, lit push buttons
Is it now a CAN bus?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
The only difference seen so far is we deleted all furniture form the dining slide but FR countered with a new theater seat which we took em up on it, in same colors as original sofa. We used the 2017.5 build sheet when we ordered it back on 1/31/17. It is at the paint booth presently but still waiting on the theater seats from CA. We leave south Texas in 23 days for PDI. All other changes are a big secret to this point. Guess we'll act real surprised when we do the initial walk thru, huh?
That new theater seat is about 6-10" deeper than a sofa or love seat, therefore when the slide is closed for travel you only have about 10" clearance to get to that half bath! Prewired for solar with a controller in the house battery compartment, HDMI Matrix for all TVs are also in our 2018 XL.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #15

Scheduled to pick up our new 40bh on next Saturday. Can't wait.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamromano View Post
Scheduled to pick up our new 40bh on next Saturday. Can't wait.
We need a full report!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #17
Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Anyone have a new 2018 Berkshire XL or have ordered one?

My original question concerned only the Berkshire XL model, not any others (XLT or other brand MH)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:53 PM   #18
BobbyJ

The cook top is electric, but to better define that it is "induction." Induction uses electromagnetism to heat only the container, the stove stays cool to the touch, only the pan gets hot. So if the heater is on you can put your hand on the cook top and it will stay cool. Place a pot on it and the pot will get hot. Oh, you can still leave your hand on the cook top and it will still be cool, while the water boils. Clean-up too is a breeze. The downside is it robs counter space. I have asked FR to make us a cover. Not sure if they are listening, however.
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #19
Old Member

Oscar, seems the '18 is prepped for solar, but capacity & type still awaits FR publishing the '18 information. Ours has the 2 seat theater unit IPO other sofa options, it causes the pathway aft to be reduced to less than 10 inches when the sofa slide is closed. The induction cooktop is nice, but wish there had been options that included 15K BTU A/C IPO the 15K BTU Heat pump A/C unit, or a third A/C for use someplace like here in TX (99 *F today) or the option for a 10K gen set, water softener, outside shower delete, list goes on & on.

So goes the FR story . . . As with the solar prep or slides or suspension, we are left to sort it all out ourselves. I just went thru the Owners Manual I got with my Berkshire XL, nowhere is it stated anywhere that I can find,
anything about leveling the RV prior to slide room operation. On my last RV, a Cedar Creek, both Lippert and FR cautioned owners to ensure that the RV was level before operating any slide room . . . FR oversight or what . . . . Seems that FR equates experience with what they charge for an RV. Just think, if the were to market a coach the was (stop that laughing now) comparable to a Newel or Prevost, no Manual required with that one for sure!

Tags
berkshire