Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 AM   #1

New 40bh xl with 380hp

Hi All,

So we finally pulled the trigger and traded up from our gas GT 350ts xl to new Berk. The coach is in paint now and we should have it by the end of next month. We have only owned an Rv for 7 months and 7k miles. During this short time I have watched 100+ hours of YouTube Rv learning videos. I do have some questions about our new unit.

1. What will be the power difference between our old ford v10 compared to the 380hp? I have never driven a dp except the test drive.

2. We had a lot of issues with our old water heater and calcium build up which would clog up the sinks. Will we have the same issue? I have 3 little kids and I'm concerned about the water heater doing its job. I have read some bad reviews on the tankless water heaters.

Does the water heater heat by propane or electric?

3. Being 41 feet long, how strict our Rv parks with 40 max rules?

4. Is there any way to manually adjust the air ride suspension? When we get to camp can I adjust the height of the unit?

5. What's the best way to heat the unit during cold nights? Please keep in mind we do have a space heater.

6. Very comfortable driving our gas unit, what should I know about the dp now?

7. Do I need to carry extra def fluid with me?

8. Any tips on running or exercises get the motor and generator?

9. How well does the ac work? On our old unit the only way to cool down the living area was to open the ac vent and that never worked that well on really hot days. We had a 15k unit too.

10. Can we use the washer and dryer while driving? Are they both electric? On average how many gallons of fresh tank and great tank with the washer use!

11. Can the cameras be used as security cams at night?

12. Can the front tv be used in motion (not for driver, but for kids)?

13. Are all the outlet working on inverter when the generator is off?

Thanks for any input

Oz

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Congrats on the new Berk!
1. Gas vs. diesel, in the long run diesel will out perform. Diesel engines are built to run a million miles.
2. We have the Girard gen II, we have not had any issues with our unit. Your unit will most likely have an Atwood unit which not to many complaints have been expressed.
3. Nobody will physically measure your coach. Tell them it's a 40 footer.
4. Air bags are adjusted by the techs. When you set the jacks to Auto Level the air bags will dump and you'll feel the coach lower.
5. The heat pump will be efficient to 40°, after that the propane furnaces are great. Space heaters are great too.
6. Driving the DP, remember the front steer axle is behind you, don't start the turn until your hips reach the corner. Takes a little practice.
7. I always have at least one jug of DEF Walmart is the best price. By a battery powered pump to fill the tank. I drive through the truck stop fuel lane the wrong way to fill the def tank.
8. Common sense engine, the generator should warm up for a couple minutes before putting it under a load.
9. ?
10. We don't have access to the W /D underway. Never monitored the volume of water discharge.
11. Don't think so.
12. Yes, but not legally.
13. I think so.

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Oz,
Congrats on your new Berkshire! Hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with it!!

6-We have the combo washer/dryer not separate units. Our combo uses about 6 gallons of water. We do not have access to ours while travelling either but if you have access and water I don't see why you can't run them when travelling. Make sure that you have enough room in the gray tank for the water when running the washer.
9- you will probably find that the 2 ac's are adequate for most days but can be iffy on very hot ones.
11- no, the cameras are not operable unless the ignition is on. You may be able to re-wire them to be on all the time but not sure how that would be done.

Other than that, Paul seems to have answered all your other questions.

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Oz,

Congratulations on the new Berk! We are still in the process of choosing floorplans - it will probably be Mar/Apr before we actually place our order.

Looks like all your questions were answered by the Berk Pros! I have only 0ne comment:

12. I have read someplace that the front TV has a circuit breaker that keeps the power to the TV off when the engine is running. I also read someplace where somebody mod'ed that so the power to the TV would work with the engine on (help me out here gang on where those posts are LOL)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

The tv can be modified. My 2014 had it dine by previous owner. Not sure how.

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Don't know about the Berks, but the 5th wheels with W/D's that I owned all bypassed the holding tanks and went directly to the dump line, so not usable unless with full hookups connected. Rude awakening first time we tried to do a quick wash without sewer connections, washer discharge standpipe overflowed onto floor.

Just a word of caution because those I asked were wrong!!
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Don't know about the Berks, but the 5th wheels with W/D's that I owned all bypassed the holding tanks and went directly to the dump line, so not usable unless with full hookups connected. Rude awakening first time we tried to do a quick wash without sewer connections, washer discharge standpipe overflowed onto floor.

Just a word of caution because those I asked were wrong!!
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

Oz, I stand corrected on your camera question. Just found out that the cameras will work as long as the radio is on. There is a switch on the dashboard that you can use to turn the radio without the ignition being on which in turn allow the camera to be turned
on. Sorry for the misleading original post.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #9

Oz, our washers drain in to the holding tank.
There is a relay of some sort behind the tv. On mine it looks like the front face needs to be removed.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Oz, our washers drain in to the holding tank.
There is a relay of some sort behind the tv. On mine it looks like the front face needs to be removed.
So it *would* be possible to load the washer up, start it, break camp and let the washer do its thing while we are rolling down the road?

Not that I envision doing this regularly, I just want the institutional knowledge that it *can* be done
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

You might need your genset running too.

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #12

Good luck with your new coach don't think you. Will have any problems with the 380 HP engine have the 360 in mine we go to Nashville every year down route 81 pulling a Kia Soul 4 wheels down a few large hills on way never been below 50 mph at top of hill and temp never past half way . Just take it easy until you get the. Hang of it be mind full of the tail swing at fuel stops and at the camp site lot of motor home behinde the rear axel
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
Berkshire 390QS

Easy way to get fuel is to use truck stops, nice and long.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Oz, I stand corrected on your camera question. Just found out that the cameras will work as long as the radio is on. There is a switch on the dashboard that you can use to turn the radio without the ignition being on which in turn allow the camera to be turned
on. Sorry for the misleading original post.

Hi,

Thanks for the update. I will need to try it since we have the same set up on our gas GT, but unless the ignition is on the video feed is all black. I will look into this when we get the unit.

Thanks

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Good luck with your new coach don't think you. Will have any problems with the 380 HP engine have the 360 in mine we go to Nashville every year down route 81 pulling a Kia Soul 4 wheels down a few large hills on way never been below 50 mph at top of hill and temp never past half way . Just take it easy until you get the. Hang of it be mind full of the tail swing at fuel stops and at the camp site lot of motor home behinde the rear axel

Thanks for the info. My father in law slammed the side of his brand new American coach at the gas station while I was sitting in the front seat of ours screaming and honking. 😢 it was going to be his first fuel stop. $8500 later he was back on the road. Learning from his mistake I always pay extra attention on turns especially the tail.

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Old 01-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Oz,

Congratulations on the new Berk! We are still in the process of choosing floorplans - it will probably be Mar/Apr before we actually place our order.

Looks like all your questions were answered by the Berk Pros! I have only 0ne comment:

12. I have read someplace that the front TV has a circuit breaker that keeps the power to the TV off when the engine is running. I also read someplace where somebody mod'ed that so the power to the TV would work with the engine on (help me out here gang on where those posts are LOL)

Thanks for your input! Good luck with yours as well!

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #17

As to the length - the outside markings show as though it's a 40 footer. Nobody ever checks them anyway.

Cannot compare the gasser to the diesel pusher. When they say don't compare apple to pears, it's true. I went from a 340hp [ISB] diesel to the 380hp diesel and that has made a big difference. Still on the road, but just drove from Arkansas to California. Many hills & mountains, kept it on cruise control & it held its speed. Some mountains were high climbing grades, but it was SWEET driving with the 380hp. BTW, 7.8 - 8.2 mpg so far. Avg speed 70-75 mph towing a Jeep Wrangler [all 4 wheels down].

Continual hot water heater is just as advertised. A little getting use to, as you HAVE TO START WITH THE FAUCET turned all the way TO HOT, then when it starts coming out hot, you change the mixture [hot/cold] on the faucet. Once the hot water has started coming out, you need to keep the flow going. If you start & stop the hot water flow, when you turn it back on, you'll get COLD!!!!!! The only problem that I have is with the water pump. It will not pump enough water to flow through the system. On my list to upgrade it to a higher pressure pump.

As mentioned, the front axle is BEHIND YOUR SEAT!!!!!!!! Nice for turns, but you'll have to get use to it. Also, as you had mentioned, WATCH THE COACH's REAR PUSH OUT. . . . The coach is LOOOOOOONG.

My Front Heat Pump kicks into FURNACE mode automatically, when the outside temps gets too cold for the PUMP. Cannot comment on the ACs, as I haven't been able to test them out in real hot temps yet.

Finally, I use to get sore muscles when I drove my 2009 Cross Country. With the Berk, I have driven it over 5,000 miles already with NO SORE MUSCLES!!!!!!! It's a nice & comfortable drive. I actually enjoy driving it.

YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Larry [US Army-Ret/Department of the Army Civilian-Ret/DAV];with Diane [Teacher-Ret]; 'Litabit' & 'QTπ' [Westies]; 2016 Berkshire XL 40RB/380 Turbo Diesel - 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Life is GOOD Little Rock, Arkansas
zeelarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 12:25 AM   #18

Washing clothes AND driving at the same time.....that's multi-tasking for old folks!

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:54 AM   #19

You have a lot of question ... will do my best to answer most of them.for you.

First of ... hp is for show ... it is torque that makes you go.

My personal experience going from gas and propane to dsl was that I all of a sudden had power to burn with the Berk. Hills and towing are a dream.

I found that overall the handling of the dsl was much better and the entire unit just felt more solid.

For me two of the best features of a pusher are the air brakes and the Jake or. Exhaust brake. You will no longer need to stand on the brake peddle to get the unit to stop.

Although it is not a requirement to hold a Q or air endorsement.... I personally feel that a person is nuts to drive air without it.

I have and older.versio tank less in my 2012 390BH60. Last summer was the first time I managed to get hot water. If I had a choice I would go with a tank.

As.far.aa.length is concerned ... the longer you go ... the fewer the choices.

Air ride.is not.adjustable however it gives a very comfortable ride and with the engine in the rear ... things are very quiet.1

We have suplimented with a small space heater when camping in subzero but otherwise the furnaces do a fair job.

Other than the braking ... not a huge difference between gas and do.

No need to carry extra Def ... it is a pain in the assignment to fill from.a.jug.

Never let Def get less than 2 bars. Bull Def is available at most truck stops at a fraction of the cost of jugs.

I normally only need to fill my Def tank 2 times a year.

Always change the oil and service Genset prior to putting unit into storage.

Never over crank a dsl engine .. this is the fastest way to kill it. Cycle.glowplugs before.starting

I have 2 15k ac units with the front being a heatpump. Over cool at night and keep the blind draw.

I never use my washer when driving and I do not haul water.

Cameras are used to suplimented mirrors.when driving.

Not front TV. But others
..yes

I.run.my genie while.driving so that I.can use.roof.ac

All.air is dumped from suspension when Jacks are put down.

Hope this helps
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #20

[QUOTE=sirozz;1076135]Hi All,
Congratulations! Most of your questions have been answered but I will be happy to answer/add since we have the exact same motorhome:

So we finally pulled the trigger and traded up from our gas GT 350ts xl to new Berk. The coach is in paint now and we should have it by the end of next month. We have only owned an Rv for 7 months and 7k miles. During this short time I have watched 100+ hours of YouTube Rv learning videos. I do have some questions about our new unit.

1. What will be the power difference between our old ford v10 compared to the 380hp? I have never driven a dp except the test drive.

2. We had a lot of issues with our old water heater and calcium build up which would clog up the sinks. Will we have the same issue? I have 3 little kids and I'm concerned about the water heater doing its job. I have read some bad reviews on the tankless water heaters.

This is true of all water heaters (including the tankless). You can minimize the problem by using a portable water softeners such as this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050EITTK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o01_s00

That is the one that we use, but there are a few choices.

Does the water heater heat by propane or electric?

Propane

3. Being 41 feet long, how strict our Rv parks with 40 max rules?

4. Is there any way to manually adjust the air ride suspension? When we get to camp can I adjust the height of the unit?

5. What's the best way to heat the unit during cold nights? Please keep in mind we do have a space heater.

6. Very comfortable driving our gas unit, what should I know about the dp now?

7. Do I need to carry extra def fluid with me?

We do not, but it depends on your methods.

We have found that we are able to refill at truck stops long before it runs out and thus do not carry any. When we hit a truck stop with DEF on both sides, we always top it off and have found that it works for us. We are only recreational campers though and not full-timers so we don't put as many miles on.

8. Any tips on running or exercises get the motor and generator?

9. How well does the ac work? On our old unit the only way to cool down the living area was to open the ac vent and that never worked that well on really hot days. We had a 15k unit too.

10. Can we use the washer and dryer while driving? Are they both electric? On average how many gallons of fresh tank and great tank with the washer use!

Never tried it - please let me know how it works.

11. Can the cameras be used as security cams at night?

Yes, just turn the radio on. You will have to do the same in order to use the USB charger. We just bought some outlet plug-ins for more flexibility. You may also find a USB/lighter charger useful for your cell phone so that the nav/media unit doesn't try to load all of your content continuously - you'll see what I mean.

12. Can the front tv be used in motion (not for driver, but for kids)?

No, but pulling the rear one out is not bad. Just drop a flat head screw in the hole on the track to prevent it from sliding.

13. Are all the outlet working on inverter when the generator is off?

Haven't tested all of them but think so, and the AGS system is wonderful and easy to program.

Thanks for any input

Hope that helps!