Old 01-11-2016, 01:09 AM   #1

New 40bh xl with 380hp

Hi All,

So we finally pulled the trigger and traded up from our gas GT 350ts xl to new Berk. The coach is in paint now and we should have it by the end of next month. We have only owned an Rv for 7 months and 7k miles. During this short time I have watched 100+ hours of YouTube Rv learning videos. I do have some questions about our new unit.

1. What will be the power difference between our old ford v10 compared to the 380hp? I have never driven a dp except the test drive.

2. We had a lot of issues with our old water heater and calcium build up which would clog up the sinks. Will we have the same issue? I have 3 little kids and I'm concerned about the water heater doing its job. I have read some bad reviews on the tankless water heaters.

Does the water heater heat by propane or electric?

3. Being 41 feet long, how strict our Rv parks with 40 max rules?

4. Is there any way to manually adjust the air ride suspension? When we get to camp can I adjust the height of the unit?

5. What's the best way to heat the unit during cold nights? Please keep in mind we do have a space heater.

6. Very comfortable driving our gas unit, what should I know about the dp now?

7. Do I need to carry extra def fluid with me?

8. Any tips on running or exercises get the motor and generator?

9. How well does the ac work? On our old unit the only way to cool down the living area was to open the ac vent and that never worked that well on really hot days. We had a 15k unit too.

10. Can we use the washer and dryer while driving? Are they both electric? On average how many gallons of fresh tank and great tank with the washer use!

11. Can the cameras be used as security cams at night?

12. Can the front tv be used in motion (not for driver, but for kids)?

13. Are all the outlet working on inverter when the generator is off?

Thanks for any input

Oz

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 01-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #2

Congrats on the new Berk!
1. Gas vs. diesel, in the long run diesel will out perform. Diesel engines are built to run a million miles.
2. We have the Girard gen II, we have not had any issues with our unit. Your unit will most likely have an Atwood unit which not to many complaints have been expressed.
3. Nobody will physically measure your coach. Tell them it's a 40 footer.
4. Air bags are adjusted by the techs. When you set the jacks to Auto Level the air bags will dump and you'll feel the coach lower.
5. The heat pump will be efficient to 40°, after that the propane furnaces are great. Space heaters are great too.
6. Driving the DP, remember the front steer axle is behind you, don't start the turn until your hips reach the corner. Takes a little practice.
7. I always have at least one jug of DEF Walmart is the best price. By a battery powered pump to fill the tank. I drive through the truck stop fuel lane the wrong way to fill the def tank.
8. Common sense engine, the generator should warm up for a couple minutes before putting it under a load.
9. ?
10. We don't have access to the W /D underway. Never monitored the volume of water discharge.
11. Don't think so.
12. Yes, but not legally.
13. I think so.

Paul
2014 390 BH-60
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unltd. Sahara
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 01-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #3

Oz,
Congrats on your new Berkshire! Hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with it!!

6-We have the combo washer/dryer not separate units. Our combo uses about 6 gallons of water. We do not have access to ours while travelling either but if you have access and water I don't see why you can't run them when travelling. Make sure that you have enough room in the gray tank for the water when running the washer.
9- you will probably find that the 2 ac's are adequate for most days but can be iffy on very hot ones.
11- no, the cameras are not operable unless the ignition is on. You may be able to re-wire them to be on all the time but not sure how that would be done.

Other than that, Paul seems to have answered all your other questions.

Tom

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

Oz,

Congratulations on the new Berk! We are still in the process of choosing floorplans - it will probably be Mar/Apr before we actually place our order.

Looks like all your questions were answered by the Berk Pros! I have only 0ne comment:

12. I have read someplace that the front TV has a circuit breaker that keeps the power to the TV off when the engine is running. I also read someplace where somebody mod'ed that so the power to the TV would work with the engine on (help me out here gang on where those posts are LOL)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #5

The tv can be modified. My 2014 had it dine by previous owner. Not sure how.

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #6

Don't know about the Berks, but the 5th wheels with W/D's that I owned all bypassed the holding tanks and went directly to the dump line, so not usable unless with full hookups connected. Rude awakening first time we tried to do a quick wash without sewer connections, washer discharge standpipe overflowed onto floor.

Just a word of caution because those I asked were wrong!!
Old 01-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Don't know about the Berks, but the 5th wheels with W/D's that I owned all bypassed the holding tanks and went directly to the dump line, so not usable unless with full hookups connected. Rude awakening first time we tried to do a quick wash without sewer connections, washer discharge standpipe overflowed onto floor.

Just a word of caution because those I asked were wrong!!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #8

Oz, I stand corrected on your camera question. Just found out that the cameras will work as long as the radio is on. There is a switch on the dashboard that you can use to turn the radio without the ignition being on which in turn allow the camera to be turned
on. Sorry for the misleading original post.

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #9

Oz, our washers drain in to the holding tank.
There is a relay of some sort behind the tv. On mine it looks like the front face needs to be removed.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Oz, our washers drain in to the holding tank.
There is a relay of some sort behind the tv. On mine it looks like the front face needs to be removed.
So it *would* be possible to load the washer up, start it, break camp and let the washer do its thing while we are rolling down the road?

Not that I envision doing this regularly, I just want the institutional knowledge that it *can* be done

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote