Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #1

New Berks have Surge Protection?

Just thought id ask. In the 'electrical bay' of my 19 34QS, it just has the Magnum Inverter and the silver box that says "MODEL PD52 automatic transfer relay switch" which is from the company Progressive Dynamics ... The 50A shore power cord runs into this silver relay box and then power comes out of the relay box into the rest of the RV.

So Id assume since incoming 50A power from the shore power cord goes into this silver box first, that it would have surge protection. But if I look up the PD52 transfer relay switch, I go to the website and the description is:

"Automatically senses generator power and prevents two power sources from entering the AC Distribution Panel at the same time"

So, any suggestions? Maybe this coach has a main surge protector somewhere else? Maybe I should buy one of the inline ones that goes to the "plug/prong" end of the shore power cord? Do these RVs even need surge protection? I had a base model Fleetwood pace arrow diesel that came with one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2956.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	191451
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	surge.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	191452  
Eagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Just thought id ask. In the 'electrical bay' of my 19 34QS, it just has the Magnum Inverter and the silver box that says "MODEL PD52 automatic transfer relay switch" which is from the company Progressive Dynamics ... The 50A shore power cord runs into this silver relay box and then power comes out of the relay box into the rest of the RV.

So Id assume since incoming 50A power from the shore power cord goes into this silver box first, that it would have surge protection. But if I look up the PD52 transfer relay switch, I go to the website and the description is:

"Automatically senses generator power and prevents two power sources from entering the AC Distribution Panel at the same time"

So, any suggestions? Maybe this coach has a main surge protector somewhere else? Maybe I should buy one of the inline ones that goes to the "plug/prong" end of the shore power cord?
I do not think you have surge protection. The silver box is just a auto transfer switch.
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
I do not think you have surge protection. The silver box is just a auto transfer switch.
do the XL Berks have them? is it worth investing in surge protection? OR how about an EMS system/box?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EMS.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	191455  
Old 11-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
do the XL Berks have them? is it worth investing in surge protection? OR how about an EMS system/box?
The surge protection would be something you would have to add. No the XL doesn't have it from factory
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
The surge protection would be something you would have to add. No the XL doesn't have it from factory

Boy I’m glad I noticed this. Most people probably wouldn’t even think about this. Kinda sucks. Should be standard. What else doesn’t come on these that I’m overlooking or assuming is there, but isn’t?
Old 11-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #6
Just as confused as you

Surge protectors are just that, they protect against power surges. You may never see a power surge unless lightening strikes near by.

A PI-EMS (Electrical Management System) protects from much more which you will more likely see in a campground. Reverse polarity, low voltage, missing neutral and open ground are the most common problems found in campgrounds. If power is lost the EMS has a built-in adjustable time delay to allow the power to become stable. Below is the error code list and what the EMS is checking for and if any are found the EMS will not let power through to the RV.

Error Code Chart
E-0 Normal Condition
E-1 Reverse Polarity Condition (hot and neutral wires reversed)
E-2 Open Ground (ground wire is not connected)
E-3 Line 1 Voltage High (Line voltage above 132)
E-4 Line 1 Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts)
E-5 Line 2 Voltage High (Line voltage above 132) - not available on 30 Amp models.
E-6 Line 2 Voltage Low (Line voltage below 104 volts) - not available on 30 Amp models.
E-7 Line Frequency High (Line frequency above 69 cycles per second)
E-8 Line Frequency Low (Line frequency below 51 cycles per second)
E-9 Data Link Down - Remote Display models only.
E-10 Replace Surge Protector Module
NOTE: If the EMS cuts the power to the RV it will show a PE code following the E code. This denotes the previous error or why the EMS shut down. Example: The EMS cuts power for low voltage on Line 1, and then the power is restored. The Error Code reads E0, but the PE code reads PE4 which tells the user low voltage was the reason for the EMS previously cutting power. This PE error code will be deleted when power is disconnected from the EMS.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
shocking that $200,000-$300,000 RVs dont come with a $300 EMS box.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #8

Bet...

Quote:
shocking that $200,000-$300,000 RVs dont come with a $300 EMS box.
Bet your expensive gaming computer or flat screen TV didn't come with one either.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
shocking
That's funny right there.

There's a lot of things that these units don't come with..... XM radio's installed, decent sound systems, TPMS, hose reels, proper windshield shades and on and on..... They could but then they would cost more.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Don't waste your money on surge protection buy an EMS. Two different animals
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 PM   #11

New Berks have Surge Protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't waste your money on surge protection buy an EMS. Two different animals

I’m assuming to install one permanently in the electrical cargo bay, I’d have to remove the end of the shore power cord from the auto transfer box and put it into an ems box .... and then I’d need a piece of cord to run out of the ems box into the auto transfer box?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:59 AM   #12

Quote:
I’m assuming to install one permanently in the electrical cargo bay, I’d have to remove the end of the shore power cord from the auto transfer box and put it into an ems box .... and then I’d need a piece of cord to run out of the ems box into the auto transfer box?
You are a good assumer. That is correct.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
hvstorck

Eagle5,
I just cut the power cord, placed the EMS in the middle. Stayed out of the transfer box. Has worked fine for two years in 2016 34QS.
Harvey
hvstorck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvstorck View Post
Eagle5,
I just cut the power cord, placed the EMS in the middle. Stayed out of the transfer box. Has worked fine for two years in 2016 34QS.
Harvey

Gotcha. Makes sense. Just leave the transfer box as is, and cut the power cord before it enters the transfer box. Did you get the Progressive brand one that’s all over the internet? It’s like $299 I think.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Do these RVs even need surge protection?
Attachment 191451
Oh boy, you've opened up a can of worms with this one!!
A previous thread on power cord adapters devolved into a battle of "Why would you not spend $300 to protect your $200K investment?" versus "I've RV'd for years without one and never had a problem!"
I think it just boils down to a matter of personal comfort (full disclosure: I am firmly in the "pro-EMS" camp!)

Per Cavie, go the EMS route, not simply a surge protector. (BTW, Cavie, per your comment on that previous thread, I did drill down on my "Surge Guard" brand unit and it is in fact an EMS - I appreciate the heads up on that nuance)
Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #16
hvstorck

Eagle5,
Yes, I did install Progressive 50Amp EMS.
Harvey
hvstorck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:26 PM   #17

thanks for the info/tips/adivce on this to everyone who chimed in. I bought the EMS box from progressive. Arrived a couple days ago. Havent installed it yet but looks pretty simple to do.