Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

New Berkshire 34 owner

I pick up my new 2018 Berkshire 34 on 28 Feb. I am trading in my 2013 Forest River Lexington. I am soooo excited and look forward to the new coach.
Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should know, do, or watch out for?
Is there anything I should make sure they check before I take delivery?
Thanks for a great Forum.
fdwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

You need to make sure you check everything before you take delivery do a complete PDI
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Look carefully at the front cap where it joins the roof. That caulking is notoriously known for leaks. Check EVERYTHING out including heaters, tv and DVD players, cable connection and all components on the dash radio/gps system, water pump and heater. Make sure everything in the coach works before you leave the dealer.
Good luck with your new coach, I am sure you will enjoy it
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #4

And I’d suggest either recording it or keep very good notes. I know for us trying to remember exactly how to make all the av stuff work and change devices, etc. as well as quirks in the system caused some frustration at times. We went from 5th wheels to the MH so many of the systems were similar, but many just were different enough that getting the steps\details straight mattered. We did make notes, but not detailed as we could have at times, and don’t hesitate to have them slow down or repeat something if you aren’t 100% sure you understand what they just showed you. They go thru it so many times they tend to be speedier than they realize I think. And enjoy the heck out of your new coach.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 PM   #5

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Berk! Go under the Library tab above and go down to Most Popular Files. There you'll find a PDI checklist to print out and take with you.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

I would make sure you check the TV Switch, Make sure it will play different items on each TV. My switch was bad and it was a pain to get replaced as I did not want to take in. It had already done the trouble shooting but it was something they wanted dealer to do.
OnBarrowedTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:39 PM   #7

Take your time! Do the dealer walk-thru and video record if able. Even though I had a Class A before, there are a lot of new things on my 2018 Berk 38A. I traded from a 2015 FR Georgetown. I don't want to talk down about the GT because it fit us very we'll for three years, but the quality and workmanship of the Berk are truly a step above. This is our fourth RV, so I thought the PDI would be a piece of cake...not so. On a previous 5th wheel, they sent some kid to do it with us. His only objective seemed to be to get it over with. At Terrytown RV in Grand Rapids, the service director himself spent two hours with us and told us to go back over it ourselves without him. Did our best and couldn't find a thing. (He gave us a copy of a very extensive/signed checklist they use before the customer looks it over.) Now that we've had it on a 1,200 mile trip, we still can't find any significant items. PTL
Old 02-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

Am a 2017 Berkshire 34QS owner. You will love the V-Ride rear RV Suspension system and your new motorhome. A possible consideration while driving in cold weather environments. You should not run propane on your Truma On-Demand water heater while driving. You might want to check out the Truma Anti-Freeze option. (Simple to install if needed).
Hope you enjoy your new motorhome as much as I have. Happy camping.
Roy5019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #9

Be sure they test the water heater to make sure it works. Also have them go over the Dos and dont's of the Truman water heater, show where all the switches are, there are three. Show you where to turn the water on for the ice maker.
btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

Take your time. Maybe two or more days making sure everything you fine is taken care of.
Happy camping.
Ride_with_me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
hvstorck

Welcome fellow Marylander. 2016 34 QS here with eight cross country trips and 30K miles. Entertainment, climate control systems and water heater would be at the top of my checklist. Hope you enjoy your coach as much as we do. BTW, who is your dealer?
Harvey
hvstorck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 PM   #12

Dealer

Thanks neighbor. Our dealer is Lazy Days in Tampa FL
Old 02-24-2018, 05:45 AM   #13

Good luck- enjoy your new rv.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:23 AM   #14

Thanks all. We are going to stay 3 days at delivery and then spend 2 more days at the Lazy Days Campground next door to double check everything. I think I’ll be confident with everything by then.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvstorck View Post
Welcome fellow Marylander. 2016 34 QS here with eight cross country trips and 30K miles. Entertainment, climate control systems and water heater would be at the top of my checklist. Hope you enjoy your coach as much as we do. BTW, who is your dealer?
Harvey

Where in MD? Unfortunately, my PDI walkthrough left much to be desired. The guy knew less than me. I am having serious knowledge issues on how to use the tv system and how to switch from local over air to cable.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:34 AM   #16
hvstorck

Darnestown. Currently in CA home. Back in May. Happy to answer any questions online. A switch turns on/off Winegard over air antenna. If blue lights are on near antenna direction knob your are receiving over air signal. If not, signal coming thru cable connection in power cord compartment. Either way, hit menu on tv and search for stations on auto. I have a Direct TV traveler dish so may not remember all steps. Hope this helps. If not, PM me and I’ ll try to help.
Harvey
hvstorck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:39 AM   #17

Post your questions here or use the search button. Plenty of info. The new 34QS has a lot of hidden features, have fun learning them all
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:28 AM   #18

What is the slide system for the kitchen slide on the newest 34qs?
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire