Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #1

New ignition key for 2012 390BH60

I have a 2012 Berk that came with only 1 ignition key. After 5 years I finally decided that a spare would be a good idea.

Was told at the home improvement store that they could not do it since it has a chip .... which was news to me.

My next stop was Freightliner. They told me that normal Freightliner trucks do not have a chip key and that this is something that is done by the RV manufacture.

Talked to local Forest River dealer in neighboring town. They had never had a request for a spare key and had no idea how to get one.

My next call will be to Randy H.

Has anyone.replaced a key. How was it done and how much did it cost.

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

I had called last fall after buying our 2004 and only getting 1 key also. Rec'd. a price from FR around 75.00 I believe. Decided I'd try someplace else. Still only have just one ignition key .

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #3

Tim,
I went to a local locksmith who was able to duplicate the key without any issues. Don't recall what they charged, though. I think he said that it was a Chrysler key blank.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:55 PM   #4

I have a 2012 Berk 390 Bh. I have a key set made including the ignition at a specialty hardware store. I key for the ignition does not have a chip and the key blank from a Chrysler of early 2000's. It cost me about $3 per key. Had keys made for the doors, storage bays and ignition. Try a good locksmith.

Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

2014 Berk had mine made at local ACE hardware $3.00
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
2014 Berk had mine made at local ACE hardware $3.00

X2

Wayne
Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #7

Thanks all .... will try again to get key cut locally. According to DW she told me that the fellow used some sort of scanner and said that it contained a chip. Would certainly be worth the 3 dollars or so to give it a try
Old 04-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #8

The key may have a chip but does that mean that the vehicle requires a chip?

There seems to be some inconsistency with these keys.

On my RV Ace Hardware could not find the correct blank to use in their book. Home Depot made me a key but it only opened the door and will not work as an ignition key.

Finally went to a Chevy dealer who made me a key that works and it was much cheaper than I expected. Last time it was ab out $75, this time I think it was under $25.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #9

Dalco ..... what type of rv are you talking about that has the same key for door and ignition. These two keys are not even remotely similar on my Berk.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

By the info in his signature area it looks like Delco has a Sunseeker which is probably on a Ford of Chevy van chassis. If he went to a Chevy dealer to get a key it is on a Chevy chassis.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
By the info in his signature area it looks like Delco has a Sunseeker which is probably on a Ford of Chevy van chassis. If he went to a Chevy dealer to get a key it is on a Chevy chassis.

That would make sense because Ford and Chevy chassis most likely would have a chip in the key. For you none Berk responders our keys supplied by Freightliner do not have chips in the ignition key and replacement keys are available from locations like Ace hardware and locksmiths.
We appreciate responses to our threads but if you haven't own a Berk now or previously you probably don't understand the equipment used or what it might take to fix it. Most of us are trying sometimes quickly to fix a problem to resume our travels and bad information could send us in the opposite direction from where we need to be. If you respond please tell us your model/make so we can determine how it may help us.

Wayne
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #12

Wow how does a post about a key get so off track. I had read this and went to look at my key. I am very sure it doesn't have a chip in it.

Delco, We appreciate the advice from you but as you can see it is not correct. No big deal. Deepest apologies if you were offended.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #13

Thanks Phil
Old 04-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The site team has had to do a cleanup here due to multiple members (both Berkshire and non Berkshire owning members) not following the play nice rules. As a reminder here are some forum rules we were seeing violations of:

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.

Do not engage in personal attacks.

Trolling and cyberstalking are NOT allowed and are grounds for account restriction or banishment. Trolling on this board includes posting controversial and often irrelevant or off-topic messages with the intention of (or anticipated result of) baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal, harmonious on-topic discussion, especially when a pattern of such posting is apparent.

We will not tolerate bigotry in any form, including posts intended to incite expressions of such bigotry from others.
Do not take every opportunity to express your disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, or fan flames. Voice your opinion respectfully and then let it go.

More than one member in this discussion has been warned more than once about these arguments. The site team grows tired of this and will be issuing infractions/strikes for anyone continuing this kind of behavior.

We are hoping the OP can get some help so the thread is back open. We will close it if arguments occur again.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
I have a 2012 Berk that came with only 1 ignition key. After 5 years I finally decided that a spare would be a good idea.

Was told at the home improvement store that they could not do it since it has a chip .... which was news to me.

My next stop was Freightliner. They told me that normal Freightliner trucks do not have a chip key and that this is something that is done by the RV manufacture.

Talked to local Forest River dealer in neighboring town. They had never had a request for a spare key and had no idea how to get one.

My next call will be to Randy H.

Has anyone.replaced a key. How was it done and how much did it cost.

Tim
We have a 2016 Berkshire. I went to a key shop and had a ignition key and a door key made for about $3.00 each. (neither one had a chip or anything like that). They both work fine.
Good Luck with it.
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 390bh