Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

New Jersey Class A Diesel Owners

Hello All,

Just registered and titled our new Berkshire - found that the coach is to be self-inspected but that an "opacity test" is required annually. About to call around to find out what this entails and how much it will cost. Anyone here have experience in NJ doing these tests?

Also was given two plates for the coach. I told them there is no provision for a front license plate on my coach. Received mixed and conflicting answers since NJ does normally require a front plate. One stated I would have to 'figure it out' and mount the plate somehow, next answer was to just place the plate on the dashboard or just keep it available(?). Again, anyone here from NJ have any solutions (correct answers)? I really don't want to poke holes in my baby unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #2

Not sure if the opacity test is the same as an emissions test, but here in New York I must have a safety inspection and emission test every year. At the time I didn't think about putting the plate on the dash board so I drilled 4 holes in the front for the plate.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Hello All,

Just registered and titled our new Berkshire - found that the coach is to be self-inspected but that an "opacity test" is required annually. About to call around to find out what this entails and how much it will cost. Anyone here have experience in NJ doing these tests?

Also was given two plates for the coach. I told them there is no provision for a front license plate on my coach. Received mixed and conflicting answers since NJ does normally require a front plate. One stated I would have to 'figure it out' and mount the plate somehow, next answer was to just place the plate on the dashboard or just keep it available(?). Again, anyone here from NJ have any solutions (correct answers)? I really don't want to poke holes in my baby unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks!
Your mileage may vary....... But I've lived a total of 20 years in states that require a front plate. I have never put one on, and have NEVER had a cop challenge me on it. Seems like they never walk around to the front of the car to check.

I'd just keep it handy and if stopped, toss it up in the windshield while the cop is walking from his car to your coach.

Just my $.02 worth.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Hello All,

Thanks!
I'd hate to drill that front cap, I display the plate on the passenger side dashboard, Georgetown 378. Unlikely you'll get pulled over, but if you do decide with the officer what to do.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
JEM

I just keep the "front license plate" in the coach.Doing this for 4 years never stopped. Just purchased 2014 Birkshire and when I was sent my license plates & paper work from dealer there was no mention of any inspection. Double checked with dealer and they advised that diesel rv does not require any state inspection.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #6

Hi there!

When I went to have my car re-inspected this year in NJ, I was chatting with the inspection manager and was told that diesels do not require any inspection (unlike my gas rig that I have to take to a local inspection station just like w/a car).

Also -- you don't need to drill on the front of your Berk to add the front tag. I have this license plate mount (pricey, but looks fantastic). It's mounted underneath. I have the "long" sized arm mount on my Encounter from this vendor and it's a perfect fit. Gives the illusion that the front tag is bolted to the front of the rig.

No Hole License Plate Bracket

(You can also see my posts about this on another forum: Front license plate - Page 3 - iRV2 Forums )

Happy camping!
go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the replies. From the NJ DMV website it looks like I do not need the opacity test either. I was told just keep good maint records to show any work done (doing that anyway).
So my front plate will be 'available' but not mounted.

Safe travels all!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

When I registered mine in Jan. the woman at DMV gave me the pink card for the dashboard and said it had to be inspected within 14 days. My reply, "Ha, thats probably not going to happen". Cop who was assigned to DMV just started laughing.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Not sure if the opacity test is the same as an emissions test, but here in New York I must have a safety inspection and emission test every year. At the time I didn't think about putting the plate on the dash board so I drilled 4 holes in the front for the plate.
The opacity test, IS an emission test foe diesels and measures the amount of smoke the diesel emits at various rpm's and loads. in denver, this happens every year for vehicles, but I don't know about MH's
Old 08-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

As I said in my earlier post, emissions testing needs to be done every year in NY for all vehicles. Jersey Guy- just need to be careful because the DMV may not renew your registration if the testing is not done. That is what NY does.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
As I said in my earlier post, emissions testing needs to be done every year in NY for all vehicles. Jersey Guy- just need to be careful because the DMV may not renew your registration if the testing is not done. That is what NY does.
Well, then, I have four years to enjoy it, they gave me a 4 year registration.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Guy View Post
Well, then, I have four years to enjoy it, they gave me a 4 year registration.
4 year registration!! I guess NJ has a lot of money because they only give a 2 year registration here in NY. Enjoy the time while you have it!