Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

New Member here and about to buy

This seems like a great place for advice and thought I would seek some honest advice. We are about to pull the trigger on either a 2013 Berkshire 390fl or a 2014 Thor Tuscany 40EX. Both used with low miles. After reading about quality control issues with Thor I am leaning toward the Berk. I have looked through the threads here and am impressed with what owners are saying about their Berks and just wondering if there has been the same QC issues with Forest River. Thanks for any help and I look forward to joining the community.

Gary Snyder
Bradenton, FL
gsnyder4224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum Gary. I own a 2013 bh model and couldn't be more pleased with the choice we made. I, too, was down to the Tuscany and the Berkshire before buying. We researched for a year before buying. Price point and floorplan is what it came down to for us. You won't find any coach's out there that have what the Berk's do for the price you pay. (I'm talking new) I haven't explored the used market at all, so I can't comment on which holds value better. This forum is a gigantic plus for just about anything you would need to know no matter how big or small the issue is. I'm sure you will be happy with either coach, but I think the Berk will make you happier. Good luck with your purchase
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

Great to have you aboard, Gary, and a Happy New Year to you and yours. I too love my 2012 390BH. I have the -40 (340Hp) model and I am sorry that I did not get the -60 (360HP) model. The -40 has plenty of power, but it has the Allison 2500MH tranny instead of the 3000MH tranny. This is a big issue. Both models have enormous cargo space, but the -40 has severe weight carrying limitations. These aspects are often over-looked in the heat of buying. Good Luck!
Hank
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

As I-RV has suggested, compare the weight ratings of each one.
Something often overlooked and very important in this size coach.

Typically the horsepower rating will give you a clue. The 360 HP
normally comes with better transmission, heavier air bags and larger tires to carry/pull more weight.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:21 AM   #5

Gary,
Happy New Year and welcome to the Forums! The reason I purchased my first Berkshire was that it had 4 slideouts instead of 3 like other brands I was looking at. When we go with the grand kids it really helps to have the extra room on rainy days. The reason I bought my 2nd Berkshire was not only the price point and what you get for the price but also the customer service that come with the Berkshire. I'm sure if you ask anyone here about Randy and his crew, you won't get any negative responses. My first was an '08 and it too had the 340hp with the 2500 Allison transmission. I never had a problem with the power or tranny and wouldn't let that prevent me from buying it again.
Good luck with which ever unit you purchase.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum Gary, as stated by the other guys we are very pleased with our '13 390bh. I have the 340hp and although I have never had the weight issues with it (Wrangler toad) I wish I would have gotten the larger 360. The only major issue I had with mine was the bunk house slide motor broke. It was replaced under warranty, so it wasn't really a big deal.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Hello Gary we have 2013 390fl and are quite happy. We tow a 2006 ram 1500 and lots power and fuel mileage was almost 9 miles. The one thing we did not like was the L shaped sofa and changed to a regular sofa. Good luck in your decision Happy New Year every one.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Sledder10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:18 PM   #8

Happy New Year Gary and welcome to the FRF from Huntsville, AL!

We currently own a FR Rockwood 5er, but as we get older the convenience of a MH over a 5er is becoming more attractive

As we look at MH options, we, like yourself, are considering a Berkie. The other coach on our short list is a Coachman Sportscoach Cross Country RD - less expensive than a Berkie but still has many of the same amenities (in fact, I would love to hear other opinions on Berkie vs Coachman)

Regarding Forest River vs other brands, simply put, we would never consider anything else BUT a Forest River! The customer service, commitment to the owner and quality/value of the product for money invested cannot be matched anywhere in the industry IMHO.

Did you know that Forest River sponsors a RV Rally every year in Goshen, IN where you get to camp for a week, daily breakfast, supper & Ice Cream socials, evening entertainment, daily owner education and seminars? Want to know the best part? Every attendee gets Free maintenance and repair of their Forest River product regardless of the age of the unit!? To my knowledge, no other RV manufacturer does this.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:58 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the replies. It goes along way to confirming my feeling that the Berkshire is the way to go. We have a supershow in Tampa in 2 weeks and will probably start the purchase process. We are also looking at an extended warranty through WholesaleWarranties.com. Any additional feedback would be great. I think I have found a new extended family here.

Gary Snyder
Old 01-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Gary,
You will probably run into a few of us Berkshire owners at Tampa. I know myself and at least one other owner will be there.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #11

Tom, We have a lot on our list for that weekend and will probably be there both Sat and Sun. Unfortunately the coaches that we are interested in are out of state so we will be not be able to work the deal that weekend but can get a lot of info from the vendor pavilion

Gary
Old 01-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Hi Gary. Welcome to the club. I have a '14 Berk 390fl and love it. If you're buying a used unit, you'll probably find it to be pretty much trouble free since most of us here have had our initial problems cleared up within the first year. Forest River is very responsive to needs, also. We love the layout of the FL and it works well for us. Happy motoring....

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:52 PM   #13

Interesting.... The Tuscany is the other coach I considered. I really wanted one but in the end the Berk was a LOT more bang for the buck.

Incidentally, in the last two years of full time RV'ing, I've only seen 2 Tuscany units on the road and only 3 Berks.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #14

New Member here and about to buy

Gary

We purchased our 2014 390 FL in July 2014. We haven't had much time to use it because the fall is our busy time. We did a couple short trips and have 4000 mile on it.

When we took delivery in Elkhart in July. I questioned the design of the entry steps. My dealer called the factory and let me talk to them. The factory had me run it over there (3 mile) and redone the steps for me. A two hour fix. Actually gave us a private tour of the factory while the fixed it.

Now as to the Thor Tuscany ?? We traded a Thor Palazzo in on the Berkshire. We owned the Palazzo for 22 months. Many issues with it. Mainly the large slide. Was fixed 3 times. Two times at factory , once at dealer and was breaking again when traded. Many other other QC issues. Needless to say I may own many RV's in the future but never another Thor.

Back to the Berkshire. We took a trip to Canada with it so I stopped by dealer to have a small issue fixed. 15 minute fix. Our dealer is 200 mile north of us and we get free parking there so we stop by anytime we go that way. We have not had one other problem with it. The step hung up a little and I lubed it & adjusted it. All well there now.

So bottom line very few QC or any issue with the Berkshire. Maybe I had 5 things during the PDI they fixed right there and the entry steps the factory fixed quick. Now as to the Thor. Lots of QC issues. Always something.

We will be at the Tampa show also. Probably stay at fairgrounds on the 13th. Then going to Arcadia Fla for a bit . Will drive car back up to the show. Good luck with your decision.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #15

Everyone's comments have helped me make the decision on the Berk and I appreciate it.

Rich, your comments mirror alot of folks as to the reason to buy used and it also allows for more bang for the buck with our budget;
Rusell, Thanks for the in depth reply and for being able to compare QC issues with the Berk and Thor.

Boohoo, I agree with you completely. Add the QC issues and it has become a ni brainer for us.

We have rented 2 class C units, once in Alaska and in the Canadian Rockies, and loved every minute of both trips. We plan on taking small trips the first year, probably no more than two weeks per trip just to get used to it and to figure out what we need and don't need. I only work part time now and just need to convince the wife to do the same. BTW, what does the D in front of wife and husband stand for when someone posts DH or DW.

Thanks again to everyone here

Gary
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #16

Gary, D is for "Dear" ( or darn if used after she forgets to buy your beer.. lol) If you've only had experience in a class c, you are in for a treat! Please keep us informed of your experiences, and know that there are great people here willing to help with any questions on this forum. The forum was a BIG reason that I bought Forest River.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #17

I agree, having a productive forum is a huge plus! When I had my Corvette and was active on their forum, it's amazing how conversations would spiral to out of control.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #18

Gary, I have a 2014 390BH-60 which has had a lot of problems some are even in the process of being fixed after 11 months. In retrospect the 390 was the right choice for us at the right price. The Tampa dealer was trying to sell me a 2012 390-40 for the same price that I was able to buy a new 390BH for in Texas. My main issues with the Berkshire are quality - lack of quality actually. If you can hold your nose on some things, the Berkshire value really shines brightest. You do get a lot for your money.

Greg

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Toad: 2014 Subaru WRX
gspencer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #19

Sorry to hear about your problems with the Berk. After much thought we bought a 2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40E this weekend locally. I just wasn't that comfortable about dealing with out of state dealer. Thanks again for everyone's insight.

Gary
Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsnyder4224 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. It goes along way to confirming my feeling that the Berkshire is the way to go. We have a supershow in Tampa in 2 weeks and will probably start the purchase process. We are also looking at an extended warranty through WholesaleWarranties.com. Any additional feedback would be great. I think I have found a new extended family here.

Gary Snyder
If the price is right, a extended warranty can be good.

Again, the "Best" Warranty is to block 9-15 AUG 2015 on your calendar and go to the Goshen rally and have the tech there do all the maintenance on your rig for free - not a bad deal for the $395 rally fee+ your fuel costs up there...plus, the Amish region is a delight to tour!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote